• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef chuck roast HELP!

Started by moses, May 27, 2009, 02:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moses

hey guys i bought a 9lb chuck roast monday i put it in the fridge and now (wednesday) its browning on top in the fridge. i was planning on smoking it Friday night but i dont know if i should wait that long since its turning brown on top. do you guys think its ok to waite? should i make it tonight or should i throw the whole thing out or just cut off the brown and do it tonight, or Friday? i am planning on taking it to an IT of 195-200 for pulled beef. what do you guys think oh also has anybody tried the pulled beef recipe with out boating it? this will be my first time doing pulled beef.

NePaSmoKer

You should be ok with it right now. Slaughter houses inject red dye in the meat to make it better looking to the consumers eye. The browning is ok. Open it and if it smells gassy or a tin smell then toss it. I would smoke it tomorrow.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

I agree with NePas

Raw meat turning brown on the surface after several days is normal and does not alter the taste. It has do to oxygen binding with the myoglobin. First it makes a bright red color, then after several days it turns brown. I've read that some supermarkets use nitrogen when they package the food, to help it maintain it's red color.

Though you are towards the end of the recommend time to store roast in the refrigerator, as long as the meat was handled properly, it is safe to eat. You can not always tell by smell.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

moses

thanks guys i think i will smoke it tonight or tomarrow to be on the safe side. any tips on cooking it id love to smoke and just leave in the bradley with out having to boat it is this ok or will the roast dry out? im going to an IT of 195. and cooking at 210

Caribou

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 27, 2009, 02:31:38 PM
It has do to oxygen binding with the myoglobin.
Yeah, what Habs said.  ;)
SmokinDuck has a great recipe for smoked chuck.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8415.0
Carolyn

Caneyscud

Quote from: moses on May 27, 2009, 02:37:31 PM
thanks guys i think i will smoke it tonight or tomarrow to be on the safe side. any tips on cooking it id love to smoke and just leave in the bradley with out having to boat it is this ok or will the roast dry out? im going to an IT of 195. and cooking at 210
I've left them in the Bradley without boating, but I did mop and I wasn't looking for fall apart barbecue, but something I could slice.  Worked out fine for me.  if I wanted fall apart 'Q, I'd probably foil or boat to get that sauna thing going and to be more sure of moist fall apart chuck.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"