• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Belly bacon in cure

Started by KyNola, February 17, 2008, 05:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Quote from: KyNola on February 25, 2008, 01:49:20 PM
Sorry Giz.  I am just not computer savvy enough to post pics.
KyNola   

If you want some help just let us know, we can walk you through it.  It can be intimidating but after you see how, you will be amazed at how easy it is.  Just holler bud.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

You can also make a paste of the cure and maple syrup; making sure to mix the ingredients well. Then rub the paste on to the  bacon.

For maple flavor I'm starting to use a mixture of brown sugar, maple sugar, and pure maple flavoring when I make maple flavored bacon. Make sure it is pure maple flavoring which is just flavoring with nothing added, and not the imitation brands with artificial flavor and alcohol .

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I picked up the Pork Belly today. 12 lbs! I had to fold it up to get it in the cooler (in the car). It covers more real estate than 2 smoker racks.

I would assume that it shrinks like the loin did, so I am assuming I can cut it so that the sections are about as large as a smoker rack and the shrinkage will allow for clearance in the smoker ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

I tend to cut it into thirds.  Fits nice on the racks and is easier to slice.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Rider,
If you think the canadian bacon is good, you are not going to believe how good the belly bacon is.  Cut the the belly into sections that you need.  Cure it, smoke it, slice it and get ready for your family and friends to love you forever.

Don't know about your pork belly but I had to trim a pretty large fat cap on the skin side of the belly.

Have a great time with the belly bacon.  Want to hear about your progress.

KyNola 

FLBentRider

KyNola,

How long did you Cure your belly bacon ?

I have seen anywhere from 5.5 days to 7 days here. I think I am going to start the cure shortly, so I cure it for 5-6 days and smoke next Sunday.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

I cut the 13+ lb belly into 3 sections. One got just TQ, the next one TQ / Brown Sugar , and the last one TQ and maple Syrup.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I generally cure for 7 days. After 6 days press down on the meat in all areas, if there are no "soft" spots, that's a good sign that it is fully cured. If there are still some soft spots cure it for another day. I overhaul (shake the bag and turn it over) each day, some only do it once; usually on the third or forth day.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I have been turning the bellies daily. I did a "poke check" today and noticed that the one that just had the TQ was much softer that the other two.

Does the curing process need the sugar to work ?

Belly section 1 = 1T TQ per LB
Belly section 2 = 1T TQ + 1T Brown Sugar per LB
Belly section 3 = 1T TQ per LB + about 1C of PA Maple Syrup (the real stuff)

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

I cured mine for 7 days, turning once each day and then rinsed and back in the frig uncovered overnight to allow to dry and form a pellicle.

I don't know that the "cure" needs the sugar to complete the process.  I think it is used more to offset the saltiness of the TQ.

Don't be surprised when you first attempt to fry some up that you begin to see dark crust forming as though it is burning.  It is most likely the sugar caramelizing.  I find that if you fry it at a lower temp than normal, you don't have as much of the "blackening".

Enjoy my friend and let us know how it turns out.
KyNola