• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Belly bacon in cure

Started by KyNola, February 17, 2008, 05:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Have two pieces of pork belly in the frig, about 8 pounds total.  Curing with Morton's TQ with brown sugar and maple syrup.  Next Sunday, will apply the apple smoke.  First time for me trying belly bacon so this will be a learning experience.  Anyone have any suggestions?  All info appreciated.

KyNola

MRH

KyNola,

I did some a while back turned out great.  Here is the post from when I did it.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4986.msg45154#msg45154

I explained it  on the second page, sounds similar to what you are doing.  Make sure you rinse well so it's not too salty.

Mark

KyNola

Thanks Mark.  Sounds very similar to what I am doing.  Turned them for the first time this morning.  They have already begun to throw off a lot of fluid.  That tells me the TQ has already started doing its thing.  Noticed you used 4 hours of hickory.  Now that is some hickory smoked bacon!  I think I'm going to go about 3 hours of apple smoke.  With the brown sugar and maple syrup, I think the apple smoke will be a good combination.

Larry

Stickbowcrafter

Ky, I responded to your questions on my last bacon post. As you've read, that was the best bacon I have ever made and best I've tasted. You will love the applewood smoked, maple sugar combo. Only other thing I did not mention but you saw in my pictures, I used bacon hangers on hickory dowels instead of laying the slabs on the racks. I've never made any on the racks or with Morton cure. Keep us posted and good luck.

-Brian

KyNola

Stick,
Thanks for your responses on both of my posts.  I had done exactly what you suggested.  Poured the maple syrup(not Mrs. Butterworth's :D) in the bag and worked it in.  Those 2.5 gallon zip bags work great.

Will keep you posted on how the TQ works.  I have a bit of concern about the saltiness with the TQ but I'm a salt lover.  Still, I would like for it to be good for the non-salt lickers.

KyNola

MRH

KyNola,

when I made mine I did 3 different variations.  All with TQ and brown sugar, then one with Black pepper, one with Garlic and one with honey.  All were very good but really the only one I could really tell a difference was the garlic one.  I think the rinsing took away the flavors  along with the salt maybe.  I think next time I will rinse well to get rid of extra saltiness then re add the Pepper etc let set another day and then smoke.  My brother did some deer that he cured and gave it a good coating of pepper etc just before smoking and said it turned out good

KyNola

OK guys, here is the latest.  Pulled the belly out of the cure, rinsed and fried some up to check the saltiness.  My wife said  "this is the best bacon I've ever had".  I said  "there's no smoke on it yet".  I am so fired up about laying the apple smoke on it tomorrow.  You guys are the best  with your knowledge.

I thank you,

KyNola

KyNola

OH MY GOSH!!!!  The bacon turned out awesome.  Thanks Stickbowcrafter and MRH for all your advice.  The belly is almost too pretty to slice.  Notice I said almost.  It is definitely going to be sliced.

Smoke on!
  KyNola

MRH

KyNola,

Glad it worked out!  I need to get a belly and give it a try again.  I know we really enjoyed it the time I did it.

Mark

Gizmo

I must protest.  I want pictures!  I want pictures!  I want pictures!

Please.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Sorry Giz.  I am just not computer savvy enough to post pics.

I live deep in the heart of hickory smoked BBQ country.  I had a friend of mine who makes a living running his large BBQ restaurant to sample the bacon last night.  He nearly went nuts!  He asked me how I did it and finished his questions with "on that little smoker of yours?"  Yep, on that little smoker of mine! ;D

I'll take that as a compliment.  Ordered a 10 inch slicer too.  I think I see bacon orders on the horizon.

KyNola   

FLBentRider

I ordered a pork belly from the butcher Today! I pick it up on Friday. It should be done about the time I run out of the Canadian bacon I'm curing now....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

KyNola,

Did you use a dry cure or brine ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Rider,
At the advice of Stickbowcrafter and MRH, I used one tablespoon of TenderQuick per pound of belly.  I  mixed it with one tablespoon of brown sugar per pound of belly.  Combined the TQ with the brown sugar and rubbed it in well.  Once the belly was in the zip bags, I poured approximately 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup(not Mrs. Butterworth's huh Stick ;D) in the bag and worked it in as best I could.  Put the bags in the frig for 7 days, turning once a day.  After a week, out of the bags, rinse well and then back in the frig overnight to dry and form the pellicle.

I was well satisfied with the results.  Good luck, you're gonna like it!  Let us know how it goes.

KyNola

KyNola

Rider,
3 hours of apple smoke at 200 degrees.  Took the IT to about 140 degrees.

KyNola