Homemade smoker roadtest

Started by humpa, November 22, 2004, 12:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humpa

Hello everyone...I finally got to fire up my newly built smoker yesterday. I'll even try to show pics of it. It is all stainless with  BS smoke generator, a 56,000 BTU afterburner, 2 full cooking racks,2 doors so I don't need to open up the top, total recovery time of 2 min or less when temp is 220 deg. OK here was my food test. I went and got a Ribeye roast. Dry rubbed a salt-sugar combo on  it. I was too excited to let it sit overnight, so in it went. My maverick was my buddy here. The smoke was awesome billowing out while I had a steady temp of 235. It cooked in 5 hours. I wrapped it in foil and a towell and into a cooler it went. About an hour later....PRESTO....Unbelievable meal.
    My only regret was I should not have rushed the seasoning process and used some cheapo bacon above it. Also next time I'll try cold smoking it first, then really basting with drip pan full of marinate. It was so good but it can only get better from here. I'm doing a turkey for Thanksgiving, so this will be interesting.....Keep On Smokin'.......................Ernie

humpa

Hey Chezbubba,
    I sent you some pics. Can you resize them and post them?

humpa

Chezbubba,
     I'll try to upload pics if you want. You have a few if you want to post them. They are huge though so maybe shrink them a little would be better. Thanks!!!

humpa

mrdennisg

Fantastic smoker [:D][:D]....Do u have a picture of just the gas burner? How much fuel does it use in your 5 hr run?
I like the look nice and clean. Looks like I may steal your idea on the door and use it on mune
Heres mine.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=605

Name my Smoker!!!!

humpa

Dennis...
   I sure like your smoker. My next on is already in the works. The cabinet is over 6 feet high, 36" wide and 36" deep. It's all stainless steel, double walled construction already. It was a giant food warmer.

mrdennisg

Is this addicting or what??????

Hey what are your thoughts on a rotisery (spelling?) in the smoker.
Iwent to Safeway grocery and got that idea they have chickens roasing on an open flame.....[:D]

Name my Smoker!!!!

humpa

Dennis,
    No need for a rotissery(sp?) My turkey browned all the way around so why make more work. I do have one on my BBQ though.

Hey Doc...I'm down to 2 racks a day!!!