Brisket

Started by nodak, February 17, 2008, 12:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

When I'm smoking brisket I generally apply 4 hours of smoke, but when I prepare my brisket as Montreal Smoked Meat I only use 2 hours of smoke. The double smoked bacon adds more then enough additional smoke flavor. So if you are making this for the first time, I would only use 2 hours of smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

Sorry to ask but when i'll go to my grosserie how do i know if a bacon is double smoked? Never eard about it only regular smoked bacon (ritten on the pack) i mean i saw regular and smoked, is the smoked the double smoked? thx again together we (or you) gonna make my try a succes!

Habanero Smoker

You generally will find it in a good meat market or online, but regular smoked bacon can be substituted and will work in place of double smoked. If you have time, and you want to do a quick double smoked bacon, buy a slab (uncut) of smoked bacon; air dry it in the smoker at 90°F to 100°F for 2 hours, then apply 1:40 to 2:00 hours of smoke. If you have additional time; air dry for another 10 hours in the cabinet at the same temperatures. Just don't let the smoker get above 100°F; if you can prevent it. Slice it thin.

Another way is to buy good quality sliced smoked bacon, separate it and lay it on the racks in single layers. Then cold smoke for about an hour.

I prefer thinly sliced bacon, because it adheres and stays in place better when you slice the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

alright!! now i know thx  im in buisness thanks to you man i'm really thanksfull

Garner Boy

Howdy Ya'll

Look out another newbee just hit the forum.  Last week I purchased the Orginal Bradley Smoker and got it seasoned up for some good smoking this weekend.  Since I'm new at smoking, I also purchased the Bradley Cookbook (fan out cards) thinking the recipes might be a good place to start.

Yesterday I smoked my first brisket.  I used the recipe in the Bradley Cookbook and followed the recipe as written.  The recipe called to cook the brisket between 180 ~ 200 degrees for 10 hours, and smoke for at least 4 hours...I smoked for 5 hours.

Frankly I'm a little disappointed :-\.  The brisket was too dry, but it has great flavor.  I think I could have 'backed off' the rub a little, because I scrapped some of it away after removing the brisket from the smoker.  I'm also thinking another rub might serve better next time...something more liquid than mustard.  I also think I should probably cook the brisket between 8.5 ~ 9 hours instead of the 10 hours that the recipe called for....but honestly, I'm so knew at this, I don't know what I'm doing.   Looking for advice. :-[

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Garner Boy on March 23, 2008, 09:26:05 AM
Howdy Ya'll

Look out another newbee just hit the forum.  Last week I purchased the Orginal Bradley Smoker and got it seasoned up for some good smoking this weekend.  Since I'm new at smoking, I also purchased the Bradley Cookbook (fan out cards) thinking the recipes might be a good place to start.

Yesterday I smoked my first brisket.  I used the recipe in the Bradley Cookbook and followed the recipe as written.  The recipe called to cook the brisket between 180 ~ 200 degrees for 10 hours, and smoke for at least 4 hours...I smoked for 5 hours.

Frankly I'm a little disappointed :-\.  The brisket was too dry, but it has great flavor.  I think I could have 'backed off' the rub a little, because I scrapped some of it away after removing the brisket from the smoker.  I'm also thinking another rub might serve better next time...something more liquid than mustard.  I also think I should probably cook the brisket between 8.5 ~ 9 hours instead of the 10 hours that the recipe called for....but honestly, I'm so knew at this, I don't know what I'm doing.   Looking for advice. :-[

Welcome Garner Boy

the Bradley cook book aint that great IMHO.
here is a link to the briskit i did a couple weeks ago. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6907.0

nepas

Mr Walleye

Hi Garner Boy and welcome to the forum.

Another thing you will need is some form of thermometer probe to monitor the internal temp of the meat. Most around here use the Maverick ET73. It has 2 temp probes, one for the meat and one for the smoker, it also has a wireless remote so you can see real time temps and not have to be sitting right beside the smoker. It's very difficult to smoke meat based on time alone. You really need to monitor the internal temps to ensure it's done to the correct temp.

Also, at the bottom of my post, if you click on the smoker, it will take you to Olds recipe site. These are all time tested recipes done in the Bradley.

Keep use posted how you make out.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes