Boys Weekend

Started by lumpy, April 06, 2009, 07:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

Hi Lumpy,

I've been a slight victim of missing the trees for the forest (or whatever that darned metphor is  :))....  the meat was lookin so good that I completely overlooked your "dessert"!  I'm REAL interested in those eggs, as I do a lot of home canning/pickling myself.  I make a lot of pickled onions, have done eggs once or twice...  but never even considered smoking them first.  I was browsing through this post again and realised that must be what you've done! I've got my big annual "kick off the summer" BBQ coming up in a weeks time and I've been trying to work out what to provide for the couple of vegetarians I know (I know...  like bringin' a knife to gunfight... and more of those darned overused metaphors... who brings a VEGETARIAN to a BBQ!!???)  But nevertheless, I do need to feed 'em....  I have a reputation at stake!

What recipe did you follow for the eggs....  did you brine them first?  What kind of pickling solution (malt vs. cider vs wine vinegar etc.)

Do share!

ExpatCanadian

Ok...  think I may have answered my own question.  Couldn't find anything on the recipe site, so searched here and came across Habs recipe in this post:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2225.0

Gonna do up a couple dozen this weekend....  taste test next Thursday or Friday and if they pass muster (and why wouldn't they  ;)) they'll be on the menu next weekend!

Habanero Smoker

TD;

I know a lot of vegetarians that I invite to my cookouts. Just google vegetarian barbecue or vegetarian barbeque. You will be amazed of the hits you get, and there are tons of ideas. Smoke/grilled eggplant is always a big hit.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gizmo

Smoked Portabela mushroom burger. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

ExpatCanadian

Yup....  portobello mushrooms are almost always on the menu anyway for me too....  love 'em.

Just came across a vegetarian version of "Pulled Pork"...  which of course sounds like an oxymoron...  but as I am serving the real deal to my carnivorous friends, I wanted to try to mimic it as closely as possible for my veggie friends.  To be fair, it actually doesn't sound half bad, check it out:

Vegetarian Pulled Pork

I am writing this from my workplace...  which happens to be about 200 yards from a famous Bangladeshi/Indian area of London called "Brick Lane" where I can get pretty much any Asian ingredient known to mankind...  so shouldn't have too much difficulty finding a can or 2 of Jackfruit!  If any of you are wondering why Brick Lane might sound a bit familiar, it was the name of a bestselling book a couple of years back, that then got made into a film that some of you might have seen.