• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rookie Help

Started by chrisc151, September 09, 2011, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

Chris what was your temp and times on the ribs? If you tell us how long and your temps we might be able to dial you in.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

chrisc151

So, temps were 200-220 for 6 hours (give or take a couple of minutes).  Oh, and forgot to mention I am at 6K feet above sea level in Denver...  Usually, the altitude causes food to need more cooking time, but...  Also, I used apple smoke, not sure that matter, but thought I would mention.

GusRobin

what rack were the ribs on and where was the probe that you were measuring the temp in relation to the meat?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

chrisc151

I had them on the second from the bottom and then a pork shoulder on the second from the top...  I had my probe in the butt, not the ribs.  Was trying to go off of time vs. temp.  That the prob?

GusRobin

Quote from: chrisc151 on September 12, 2011, 09:57:50 PM
I had them on the second from the bottom and then a pork shoulder on the second from the top...  I had my probe in the butt, not the ribs.  Was trying to go off of time vs. temp.  That the prob?
Where were you measuring the temp of the cabinet when you say it was 200-220?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

chrisc151

Was going off the BDS's digital display.

GusRobin

If the meat was below the probe where the digital takes its temp, then you probably were seeing hotter temps than 200-220. So that probably dried out the ribs.
I would get a remote thermometer and put it under the lowest meat you have and go by that, If you don't get a PID, then you need to adjust the digital temp setting to match what you are seeing in the remote therm. SO if the remote says 250 and the Digital readout says 230m then set the digital to 210 and see what happens.

chrisc151

Thanks!  Maybe I'll put the shoulder lower next time and the ribs on top.  Plus, I think I need to baste the ribs more often.  The ribs tasted great, but just dry.

GusRobin

look in the recipe section for the 3-2-1 method. This is primarily for spare ribs. 3 hours of smoke with rub on the ribs, 2 hours foiled ( I sprinkle with brown sugar, a tablespoon (or a little more) of butter, and drizzle with honey and double wrap  --thats FL (foil love learned from Sparky)), then 1 hour (or until tender) with no foil - sometimes I smoke for this hour. With baby backs I do 2-2-1; with short ribs I do 2-1.5-1. In each case the last hour is flexible. I test with a toothpick to see if it is tender.

chrisc151

Perfect!  Thanks.  Looking forward to next time!