• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rookie Help

Started by chrisc151, September 09, 2011, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisc151

Just got my BDS.  Have a 7lbs pork butt and a rack of pork ribs.  If I put the butt in with 6 hrs of smoke, will I over smoke the butt if I put in another 3 hours of smoke when I put the ribs in at 6 hours left so that they are both done at the same time?  (225 degrees oven temp).

Habanero Smoker

Hi  chrisc151;

Welcome to the forum.

Are you saying you want to apply a total of 9 hours of smoke to your butt? That could be too much smoke for the butt; although a few like it like that. What type of bisquette are you using?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GusRobin

Not too sure about them ending at the same time.

I have had 8 lb butts take 16 hours and others take 22 hours. It all depends on how stubborn the butt is.  It will seem like the IT is ramping fast, then you will hit the stall at the 160s.

I have started them  at 8 pm, smoked for 4  hours, changed water when smoke done at midnight and went to be with the IT at 125-130. Woke  up at 8 am at it was at 162 and done at 1pm. Others took longer.

Better to plan the butt to be done earlier then the ribs, let the butt FTC for a while (can be up to 4-5 hours if wrapped tight). that would give plenty of time to do the ribs. If it was me, I would do the butt the day before, FTC, and fridge. Next day when the ribs are cooking, take the butt in a pan, add some beef broth, cover and reheat in the oven.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

chrisc151

Thanks for the replies.  Here is my plan:
1. Midnight, put on the butt with 6 (may go 4) hours of smoke. 
2. Noon, put in ribs and add 3 hours of smoke
3. All to be done by 6PM, giving the butt a total of 18 hours cook time (if needed) and 7 or 9 hours of smoke).  However, I will monitor the butt's IT and take out early or later if necessary.
4. Was thinking about apple smoke, but likely Hickory -- any thoughts here?

Also, does anyone like 'Alder' smoke?  Came in my variety pack - never heard of using this wood.

Thanks!

GusRobin

If it was me I would put the butt in earlier. My thinking:
1) I like to change the water and throw away the spent pucks after the smoke and prior to going to sleep. The water gets full of grease and spent pucks and could be a fire hazard.
2) Allow sufficient time to FTC
3) Can always reheat
4) Butt is more forgiving timewise than ribs

Then again the butt could be done quicker and screw up the above plan. But that is the way I would do it and others would have different views.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

chrisc151

Thanks GusRobin!  What do you guys think about using a bigger water bowl?  The one that comes with the BDS seems VERY small!

muebe

Gus has steered you in the right direction ;)

A bigger water pan is a great idea. The one it comes with is too small IMHO.

I like to use Alder for fish :)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

GusRobin

a number of people use the disposable aluminum pans - a 9X13 (or may be 11) fits perfect.

chrisc151

Thanks everyone for your help.  What a great place to help get started with the Bradley!

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum. I use alder for fish mostly. You might want to try just 4 hours smoke for the first go around. The bradleys deliver very intense smoke and you can over smoke stuff easily. I go 4 hrs on a 7 lb'er. I am with gus, you should start your butt at about 8 pm and then if it finishes put it into FTC.
Ribs are hard enough to get right by themselves, I still am not happy with mine. Ribs will take 5 or 6 hrs.
Definitely go with the bigger pan. I find the tin pans that come with those frozen chocolate cakes is just the right size.
Good luck.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

GusRobin

Quote from: Quarlow on September 10, 2011, 02:29:48 PM
I find the tin pans that come with those frozen chocolate cakes is just the right size.

Hmmm- sounds like a good excuse to stock up on chocolate cake ;D ;D ;D

chrisc151

ok, I can't seem to get the oven temp timer on the BDS to go over 9 hours and 40 minutes... What gives?  Am I doing something wrong?

muebe

Quote from: chrisc151 on September 10, 2011, 07:58:21 PM
ok, I can't seem to get the oven temp timer on the BDS to go over 9 hours and 40 minutes... What gives?  Am I doing something wrong?

That is as high as it goes. Just re-set the timer in the morning when you wake up.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

chrisc151

Thanks for the quick response.  Thought there was something wrong.   Given that smoking many meats takes longer than 9 hours, I would think they would take that in to account. 

This forum is great!

chrisc151

Thought I would report back to you guys. Butt was great -- very moist.  Ribs were very dry.  Guess I need to baste them more often??? 

Thanks again for all your help.