Whats the best bbq back rib recipe

Started by HOGFAT, April 30, 2009, 02:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGFAT

I ordered a 6 tray dbs its not in yet maybe tomorrow but my first experiment will be ribs and I am looking for a to die for recipe.If anyone wants to share there recipe it will be appreciated.Please explain carefully this is totaly new to me.
THANKS

moses

to sum it up quick buy some good pork baby backs make sure to remove the membrane on the bone side. smoke for 3-4 hours using hickory at 200F-210F. remove from bradley put in aluminum pan covered. but about a 1/4 inch of apple juice in the bottom of pan or beer whatever or choice.
cook in the oven another 3 hours at 200-210. then remove from pans but on a hot  grill with some sauce to get the sauce carmelized. and whola great ribs done easy. oh rub and sauce are your choice for liking i like sweet sauces and rubs for ribs. famous daves BBQ sauce sweet and zesty is my all time fave. good luck

moses

sorry i said but a couple of times i meant put

KyNola

HogFat,
First, welcome to the forum and to the Bradley Smoker world.  We are all here to help you.  There are guys who are so more knowledgeable than me and I will yield to their responses but based on your post, I can't recommend you do ribs for your first time out if smoking is totally new to you.  The reason I say that is ribs is one of the more difficult things to master on the BDS and I don't want your first cook in the BDS to be nothing short of incredible.  I recommend you go to the recipe website at www.susanminor.org  There you will find a wealth of tried and true recipes of all things smoked and information.

Now, having said that, here is my version of ribs in the BDS.  The day before the smoke, remove the membrane from the back (bone side of the ribs).  Rub the ribs with olive oil or paint with cheap yellow mustard(hot dog mustard) don't worry you won't taste it.  Liberally apply your favorite rub.  Wrap in plastic wrap and into the frig overnight.  Now day of the smoke.  Ribs out of the frig at least an hour before going in the BDS.  From here on there are about a billion options.  I'll give you mine.  Preheat your BDS.  Turn on your smoke generator with NO pucks and the tower heater.  Set the temp for the tower heat to 280 or so.  When it reaches 280 or so, ribs go in the smoker.  Smoke for 2 hours and 40 minutes with your favorite wood.  Watch the tower temp as it will drop once you opened the door to put the ribs in.  You want to smoke the ribs somewhere between 200-225(my opinion).  Adjust the tower temp setting accordingly.  Don't freak when the tower temp takes a while to come back up.  Cold meat will kill the temp inside the tower.  Vent needs to be at least 50% open entire time.  Now it's up to you.  You can finish them in the BDS or your house oven as after smoke, the BDS is nothing more than a somewhat inefficient oven.  After smoke, I move mine to the kitchen oven in a roasting pan.  Pour a cup of apple juice in the bottom of the roaster and throw the ribs in.  Cover with foil and let them go in the oven at 225 for 3 hours.  Now, dry or wet ribs is the question.  Want 'em wet?  After the 3 hours remove foil, sauce the ribs with your favorite sauce and let them go for another 30 minutes or so.  Call 'em done when you see the meat slipping back off the end of the rib about 1/2 to 1 inch.  You can check for tenderness by sticking a toothpick in the meat. Slide in and out easily?  Time to eat!!

There are so many variables on doing ribs that all of my friends will post suggestions for you and links to show you the different methods you can use for ribs.

Have a great time and let us know how your first smoke goes!

KyNola

beefmann

hog,

what i do is remove the membrane from the back ... then coat with crushed garlic, let stand 30 minutes or so... then add a light sprinkling of salt,  mediumn to heavy black pepper and paprika...

then  smoke 2 hours with your favoite wood, I like oak and hickory to smoke with for ribs, after the smoking process dump out the water / bisquete bowl and add orange soda into it .. then place back into the soker...

btw. room temp soda

Beef

Gizmo

Quote from: moses on April 30, 2009, 06:29:35 PM
to sum it up quick buy some good pork baby backs make sure to remove the membrane on the bone side. smoke for 3-4 hours using hickory at 200F-210F. remove from bradley put in aluminum pan covered. but about a 1/4 inch of apple juice in the bottom of pan or beer whatever or choice.
cook in the oven another 3 hours at 200-210. then remove from pans but on a hot  grill with some sauce to get the sauce carmelized. and whola great ribs done easy. oh rub and sauce are your choice for liking i like sweet sauces and rubs for ribs. famous daves BBQ sauce sweet and zesty is my all time fave. good luck

This is basically my standard preperation, except for the brand of BBQ sauce.  If you do choose to do ribs for the first go (I will be a little more yeilding than KyNola but to his point, a pork butt is much easier), the Foil Boat treatment should always produce tender and moist ribs.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Gizmo on April 30, 2009, 09:25:58 PM
Quote from: moses on April 30, 2009, 06:29:35 PM

This is basically my standard preperation, except for the brand of BBQ sauce.  If you do choose to do ribs for the first go (I will be a little more yeilding than KyNola but to his point, a pork butt is much easier), the Foil Boat treatment should always produce tender and moist ribs.

Yup!... I'll basically third this method.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

HOGFAT

Thanks a lot for the pointers.I got lots to learn yet.
THANKS AGAIN

KyNola

Hogfat and my other friends,
My sincere apologies if my earlier post seemed offensive or harsh.  It was not my intent at all.

Hogfat, as I mentioned earlier, I will absolutely yield to these guys as they are much more skilled with the Bradley.

Have a great time with your first smoke and let us know how it turns out.

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: KyNola on May 01, 2009, 06:41:14 AM
Hogfat and my other friends,
My sincere apologies if my earlier post seemed offensive or harsh.  It was not my intent at all.

Hogfat, as I mentioned earlier, I will absolutely yield to these guys as they are much more skilled with the Bradley.

Have a great time with your first smoke and let us know how it turns out.

KyNola

KyNola;

I view your post as being very informative. I don't see anything offensive or harsh.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HOGFAT

Hey
I thought you guys are great there is no need to apoligize/

KyNola

Thanks Habs.  I was concerned that I had I come off way too strong against a new member of our forum and I certainly didn't mean to do that. 

Hogfat, Let us know how your first smoke in the BDS comes out.  After the first smoke, you're addicted.  Just like the surgeon general says "smoking is addictive".

Smoke on!
KyNola

HOGFAT

What do you mean buy foil boat the ribs.

Gizmo

Quote from: KyNola on May 01, 2009, 07:22:18 PM
Thanks Habs.  I was concerned that I had I come off way too strong against a new member of our forum and I certainly didn't mean to do that. 

Hogfat, Let us know how your first smoke in the BDS comes out.  After the first smoke, you're addicted.  Just like the surgeon general says "smoking is addictive".

Smoke on!
KyNola

Didn't sound offensive or harsh to me, just another good opinion.  Options and versatility to get you to the final product is what it is all about. 

Foil Boat is to take a foil pan, add a little juice on the bottom (apple, Jack D., beer, beef or chicken stock, etc.), put the meat in, cover the pan with foil and toss it back in the oven if you doing this right after the smoke and the meat is not done, or just put into a warm cooler or oven and let rest for a while if you cooked them the whole way in the smoker.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

HOGFAT

Got my smoker today going to have to season it then the ribs are getting it.