2 racks of Babybacks on my 1st smoke on my DBS

Started by SemperFiPhil, May 04, 2009, 07:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperFiPhil

I just finished my first 2 racks of babyback ribs.  This was my virgin smoking experience, not just on my DBS, but any smoker.  They turned out pretty good.  The only thing is the meat did not fall off the bone, but they were done and mighty tasty.  Both were marinaded in gallon baggies over night.

Rack #1:  I did one rack with Famous Dave's Rib rub (and a little olive oil), smoked for 4 hours, did the Texas crutch for 1 hour, and finished them off on the grill for about 20 - 25 min with some Stubbs Spicy BBQ sauce.

Rack #2:  Marinade in Stubbs Pork Marinade, smoked for 4 hours, Texas crutch for 1 hour, and finished them off on the grill for 20-25 min with some Stubbs Regular BBQ Sauce.

My wife and I both preferred the Famous Dave's rack. 

Gizmo

Judging by the appearance and your comment of not being falling off the bone, I would say they may be a little undercooked since the meat has not pulled back from the edge of the bone.  Usually 1/2 inch of bone showing is a good sign they were cooked long enough.  Of course how tender ribs are come down to personal tastes as much as anything.
If you want them a bit more tender, extend the crutch for 1 hour or so.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

I concur with Giz's assessment completely.  Good looking ribs though, especially for your first try ever.

KyNola

SemperFiPhil

They were definately done.  In fact, they were on the verge of being over-done.  I was afraid that if I cooked them any longer, they would dry out.  They were not dry, but I would have loved them to be a bit more juicy.  So 2 hours of the Texas crutch? 

One thing that did happen was my wife was out shopping for some books and a table for the smoker when she called me wanting me to look at a table she found at a thrift shop.  (What impeckable timing she has... but I still love her to pieces.) I checked the timer and it was at about 2 1/5 hours so I extended it a couple hours and somehow screwed up the temp.  When I got home 2 hours later, it was at 280.  Could that have done it?  After that is when I did the Texas Crutch for close to an hour at 220.

Thanks for all the help... need all I can get so my next slab is better... juicy and tender.    

KyNola

You may have just answered your own question.  The higher temp may have simply dried them out to the point that the Texas crutch couldn't bring them back.  Baby backs by nature have less fat than other rib cuts making them easier to dry out.

I will yield to more knowledgeable folks for their suggestions.

KyNola

NePaSmoKer

I do mine @180* with 2 hours of smoke. Then bump the heat to 225* until the meat slides back from the bone about 3/4" to 1". So tender and fall aparty  ;D   they are hard to pick up   ;D

nepas

SemperFiPhil

DANG! NePa... those are some great looking ribs there!  Now those are regular spareribs, right?  About how long do they take at 225 until the meat slides back like that?  Do you use a Texas crutch or grill at all?  I'm impressed (and hungry now).  :P

bigcatdaddy

I did 3 racks over the weekend with a total cook time of about 8 hrs.  They were very tender and slid right off the bone.  I never got any bone to start showing until the last hour, but I never ran the smoker above 210.  4 hours of smoke and 1 hour of heat in the Bradley then finished in the oven with plenty of AJ.

BCD

HOGFAT

Okay I am new as hell on this site and them ribs look good.But what is the texas crutch mean.
THANKS

westexasmoker

Quote from: HOGFAT on May 05, 2009, 05:51:08 PM
Okay I am new as hell on this site and them ribs look good.But what is the texas crutch mean.
THANKS

Wrapped in foil or boated and back into the smoker or house oven (same thing at this point), with a splash of liquid (beer, apple juice, bourbon, tequilla)! 

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smokin Soon

Everyone's taste in ribs is not the same. Some like them to the point they fall apart when you pick them up. Some spare ribs have so much meat that they do not recede from the bone at all. It's just a matter how you like them. The really cool things is the practicing is so much fun. No bad cooks! Just dialing in to perfection.  ;D

Caneyscud

Quote from: HOGFAT on May 05, 2009, 05:51:08 PM
THANKS

Texas Crutch - a somewhat derogatory term, if not invented by Paul Kirk, but certainly used a lot by him in the ongoing feud between Texas and Kansas City as to who has the best barbecue.  Not sure where the idea came from about the use of foil in Texas, but back in the old days tweren't used in my part of the country, nor is it used in the big name joints as far as I can tell by sneaking peaks at their smoking areas.  Now with that said, I haven't lived in Texas for three decades, (visit the family frequently though - and still don't see foil being used), but I guess in those three decades some yankee, hippie or communist or something from the West Coast could have moved into some weird place like Austin and used foil AND Paul Kirk coulda seen it - I don't know!!

As WTS stated the Texas Crutch is a method of finishing up smoked foods by wrapping with foil usually with some addition of liquid, and finishing up the cooking by essentially steaming or braising - the end result usually being more moist, and more tender meat - but at the expense of the bark, the great dark, chewy, exploding goodness found on the outside of slow smoked meats.   

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire' 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: SemperFiPhil on May 05, 2009, 01:30:04 PM
DANG! NePa... those are some great looking ribs there!  Now those are regular spareribs, right?  About how long do they take at 225 until the meat slides back like that?  Do you use a Texas crutch or grill at all?  I'm impressed (and hungry now).  :P

I do my ribs in my Traeger most of the time. Smoke at 180* then go to 225*

They are reg pork spareribs too, membrane pulled, rubbed with BBBR and PYM covered overnite.

nepas