• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

What's cooking Memorial Weekend?

Started by Caneyscud, May 22, 2009, 08:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Memorial days is upon us - the time we take some time out of our lives to commemorate and honor those that died so that we can be here today in a free country.

Below, is what it is about - it is not just a 3-day weekend or the start of the summer season!  It is a sacred day - Support your soldiers, your Vets and the families of those soldiers that have died preserving our freedom and defending our country.  May God Bless America!

I. Let us, then, at the time appointed, gather around their sacred remains, and garland the passionless mounds above them with choicest flowers of springtime; let us raise above them the dear old flag they saved; let us in this solemn presence renew our pledge to aid and assist those whom they have left among us a sacred charge upon the Nation's gratitude—the soldier's and sailor's widow and orphan.
II. It is the purpose of the Commander in Chief to inaugurate this observance with the hope that it will be kept up from year to year, while a survivor of the war remains to honor the memory of his departed comrades. He earnestly desires the public press to call attention to this Order, and lend its friendly aid in bringing it to the notice of comrades in all parts of the country in time for simultaneous compliance therewith.
III. Department commanders will use every effort to make this Order effective.|General Orders No. 11, Grand Army of the Republic Headquarters[1].

With that being said, this is a weekend for family get-togethers.  It is also the official start of the grilling and barbecuing season (what's a barbecue season? - I thought smoking was done all year long!)  So what is going on the smoker for Monday?  I've got a 15 pound brisket and a dozen chicken thighs just waiting to be introduced to some mesquite smoke.  We'll also do some grilled veggies, and a cauliflower/potato salad.  How about you - what are you going to impress the family with?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

I'm going to smoke a turkey breast, three chickens and if  I have time  5 lb of garlic herb chicken sausage.

We lucked out this year the girls softball tournament is only 40 miles away and don't start till sat. morn. That should give time tonight to get everything ready.

Tenpoint5

Midwest Smokeout Probably anything Goes Brats, Garlic Sausage, Hotlinks, Pork Steaks, Kielbasa, Pulled Pork. It's FOUR DAYS Long I might even sneak in some Lamb. Who Knows. Heading out to the grounds in about an hour.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

I have bacon in the smoker (Canadian and pork belly), will also being doing 10lbs of cold smoked wings finished in the big easy (if I can find some racks that fit), and probably some ABT's, oh and 5lbs of Jerky. 

FLBentRider

I've got 18lbs of Pastrami to smoke.

The menu for Monday is Ribs, Alton Brown style. Six racks of St.Loius.

I will probably pick up another 15lbs of eye round for jerky as well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caribou

I'm not technically smoking anything BUT I am going to make 5lbs of Brats from the recipe Nepas posted in Sausage Making.
And of course we'll be eaten some of those!

Happy Memorial Day to all and remember all who have sacrificed for our freedom,
Carolyn

deb415611

With all the Brat talk lately I decided I'm also going to make some this weekend.  Going to bake some rolls to put them in.   Not sure what else at this point.   

Up In Smoke

Caneyscud,
all i can say is wow, very powerful!
10.5 you and yours......and all others celebrating our nations hero's this weekend please be safe.
i have a graduation to attend.
and then off to the national cemetery to pay a little tribute........man that thing is filling up way too fast!

OH also i will be starting my hickory punishment as prescribed by doctor 10.5!
i feel like chicken tonight!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

La Quinta

I'm gonna go eat mud bugs with Giz and Mrs Giz...come home and smoke some Habs Canadian bacon...'bout it!!!  ;D

Thunder Struck

Brined 2 Boston Butts last night and started them on the OBS this morning about 8:30 this morning with 4 hours of Apple and Mesquite. They are about 175 deg. right now.

I also smoked some soaked Navy Beans for about an hour before making the Baked Beans for tomorrow.

Caribou

Quote from: deb415611 on May 22, 2009, 06:38:41 PM
With all the Brat talk lately I decided I'm also going to make some this weekend.  Going to bake some rolls to put them in.   Not sure what else at this point.   
OOOO Deb!
Baked rolls for the Brats....I'm intrigued!
You'll have to share that recipe sometime.
Carolyn

deb415611

Quote from: Caribou on May 23, 2009, 05:30:18 AM
Quote from: deb415611 on May 22, 2009, 06:38:41 PM
OOOO Deb!
Baked rolls for the Brats....I'm intrigued!
You'll have to share that recipe sometime.
Carolyn

Not sure which recipe I'm going to use yet but I will share  :)

tsquared

Crab and prawns for me. We have the boat in an inlet(1 more week) where the fishing is good for both so I am checking the traps every day. I'm thinking to do some black bean prawn stirfry on Sunday. I hope you 'merican board members have a good long weekend.
Cheers,
T2

FLBentRider

Whew!

After a trip to Sams, we now have:

Six racks of ribs
15Lb of eye round for jerky
6lb of flank steak
4lb of sausage and 3lb of bacon for explosions
4 pineapples for candying.

It's going to be a busy weekend.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer