Can't hold off any longer in SoCal

Started by JimmyDreams, May 22, 2009, 09:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyDreams

Hi folks...

I've been eyeing this smoker for years after eating many pounds of pulled pork smoked in an OBS at the Indy 500 every year. Today, I think I'll pull the trigger and order one. I'm certain this forum will provide lots of advise and recipes for me to try.

Can't wait.

From Oceanside, Ca.
JimmyD ;D
JimmyD
Oceanside, Ca.

KyNola

JimmyD,
Welcome to the group!  Can't go wrong with a Bradley.  Let us know if we can help you through any decisions or answer questions for you.

We love to help get the newbies up to speed as soon as possible.

KyNola

JimmyDreams

Quote from: KyNola on May 22, 2009, 09:37:24 AM
JimmyD,
Welcome to the group!  Can't go wrong with a Bradley.  Let us know if we can help you through any decisions or answer questions for you.

We love to help get the newbies up to speed as soon as possible.

KyNola

THANKS!

I need the standard newbie info...which digital thermometer to use, some good starter recipes, etc. But I'll pick all that up as I peruse the forums over the next few days while waiting for my OBS to arrive. I DO have a friend that has a killer pulled pork recipe that I'm dying to try. He's used to sell OBS, so I know what the finished product should taste like.

Looks like a very active and friendly forum. Looking forward to being a part of it all!

JimmyD

JimmyD
Oceanside, Ca.

La Quinta

Kool Jimmy D...where are ya from? They're are a few of us around out here...  ;D

Gizmo

Quote from: JimmyDreams on May 22, 2009, 09:35:31 AM
Hi folks...

I've been eyeing this smoker for years after eating many pounds of pulled pork smoked in an OBS at the Indy 500 every year. Today, I think I'll pull the trigger and order one. I'm certain this forum will provide lots of advise and recipes for me to try.

Can't wait.

From Oceanside, Ca.
JimmyD ;D

Howdy Neighbor.
West Coast Kansan is just across the street from you, he is from Oceanside.  I am in Escondido.  Glad to see some more SoCalis around.  Have a few more folks just north of us as well.
If you need a sample to push you over the edge, just give a holler and I can show you the smoke.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Sorry JD...didn't read your sign off....you have some really great smokers hanging aroung down there... :)

JimmyDreams

Thanks everyone, for the welcome and invites! (be careful what you ask for!!) ;D

I'm still reading up on all the ins-and-outs of using a BS. I myself am new to smoking in general, so I've got a bit of a learning curve ahead of me. It doesn't help that I ate a TON of Chez Bubba food from Jim and Kirk over the years at the Indy 500. Their pulled pork alone is what made be buy a BS....now I have to try and recreate their magic! (I have assurances from Kirk that he'll help...let's see if he's as good as his word!)

I've got the OBS on the way, a sample pack of bisquettes, a cover (although I see now I should have gotten the larger cover), a set of 3 Bubba Pucks....all I need is a good digital thermometer and I'll be good to go. Any suggestions on a thermometer?

Happy Memorial Day Weekend, ya'll!!

JimmyD
Oceanside, Ca.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

starship

I had shopped and looked at several smokers.

This forum was the deciding point for me to purchase an OBS, and no regrets at all!

Welcome, and enjoy both!  (OBS and this forum!)
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

JimmyDreams

Quote from: starship on May 23, 2009, 01:05:35 PM
I had shopped and looked at several smokers.

This forum was the deciding point for me to purchase an OBS, and no regrets at all!

Welcome, and enjoy both!  (OBS and this forum!)

Me too. I was thinking DBS, but after reading up, decided on the OBS and I'll build a temp controller in the near future. I also ordered a Maverick ET-73, or at least I THINK I did. For those of you that have the ET-73, is this the same unit?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DIU49/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Next up, look through some of the rub recipe's and get the makin's for a good rub and/or sauce. Can't wait for the actual experimentation phase!!! (AND, I found out what FTC meant without asking anyone!! woot!)

JimmyD
Oceanside, Ca.

starship

Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

Habanero Smoker

JD;

The link you provided is the ET-73.

In your search for information you may want to take a look a this link:
Bradley FAQ's

Recipes:
Recipes

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JimmyDreams

Quote from: starship on May 23, 2009, 05:54:22 PM
Try this rub in the link below.  Magic Dust has become a staple in my smoker!

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_magic_dust.html

Thanks for the link. I've printed it out and will make some this week.  :)
JimmyD
Oceanside, Ca.

JimmyDreams

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 24, 2009, 02:53:45 AM
JD;

The link you provided is the ET-73.

In your search for information you may want to take a look a this link:
Bradley FAQ's

Recipes:
Recipes

Thanks, HS. I've been to the FAQ many times AND the recipe site is unreal!! I'm not positive, but I think I gained 10 pounds just looking through all the recipes!!  :o
JimmyD
Oceanside, Ca.

beefmann

welcome to the forum Jimmy d ...
i am also in so cali. in garden grove and soon in westminster

Beef