What to do with my Rhubarb

Started by OU812, May 29, 2009, 02:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

thanks habs ..... your receipe sounds very good p:s you are making fat quit..............seemore

Habanero Smoker

The Strawberry Rhubarb Pie filling recipe is now posted on the recipe site.

Strawberry Rubarb Pie

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

seemore

Habs, Mrs. here.
We made that pie for dessert today, and it was wonderful!!!  Just the perfect combination of sweet and sour in that filling.  It was even better topped off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Thanks for the recipe!
A local farm community has a rhubarb festival every year;  the first weekend in June.  Wouldn't you know it?  We were unable to attend it again. 
Next year, hopefully...........

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: seemore on June 07, 2009, 05:00:13 PM
Habs, Mrs. here.
We made that pie for dessert today, and it was wonderful!!!  Just the perfect combination of sweet and sour in that filling.  It was even better topped off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Thanks for the recipe!
A local farm community has a rhubarb festival every year;  the first weekend in June.  Wouldn't you know it?  We were unable to attend it again. 
Next year, hopefully...........

There is a farm 1.5 miles from me that have an organic orchard; pick your own. This weekend they opened up one their strawberry fields (running a little late this year). I couldn't get there this weekend, but will be heading there on Wednesday; if I don't get rained out (only open on the weekends and Wednesdays). I still need to try Manxman's recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

seemore

Looks fantastic, Manxman, and we are going to try it.
What is demarara sugar?
Thanks!
Mrs. S

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: seemore on June 11, 2009, 07:43:00 PM
Looks fantastic, Manxman, and we are going to try it.
What is demarara sugar?
Thanks!
Mrs. S

Demarara sugar is similar to turbinado sugar (Raw Sugar), but lighter with less molasses taste. It is quite common in most major chain super markets. If it is not in the baking isle, look for it in the natural food section. Turbinado can be used as a substitute.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteDemarara sugar is similar to turbinado sugar (Raw Sugar),

Habs is spot on (as usual!), demerera sugar is an unrefined / raw sugar that not only imparts a nice taste but also a nice light to golden brown colour to food which is why we often use it sprinkled on top of (rhubard) crumbles and other deserts.  :)

One of the Bradley manufactured rubs /cures is a "demerera type cure", it is the only one I have bought to date and it works well although it is probably cheaper and easier to make it yourself!  ;) :D
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Manxman;

I was out looking for ingredients, and it just wasn't my day. None of the supermarket had rhubarb, also had no luck finding creme fraiche (which I always see when I don't need it), or Amaretti biscuits. I'll have to give it another go on Sunday.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteI was out looking for ingredients, and it just wasn't my day. None of the supermarket had rhubarb, also had no luck finding creme fraiche (which I always see when I don't need it), or Amaretti biscuits. I'll have to give it another go on Sunday.

That is so often the case and can be very frustrating! There is some rhubarb ready for eating in our garden but it is hardly as though I can pop round and drop some off!!  ;) :D
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: manxman on June 13, 2009, 01:53:42 AM
QuoteI was out looking for ingredients, and it just wasn't my day. None of the supermarket had rhubarb, also had no luck finding creme fraiche (which I always see when I don't need it), or Amaretti biscuits. I'll have to give it another go on Sunday.

That is so often the case and can be very frustrating! There is some rhubarb ready for eating in our garden but it is hardly as though I can pop round and drop some off!!  ;) :D

It would be nice if it could be teleported. :) I shouldn't have any problems on Sunday, I'll be going to a farmer's market.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteIt would be nice if it could be teleported.

Haha ..... that option is probably a few years off yet!  ;D  Now putting it in a bottle and throwing it in the sea in front of our house may work, we already know it works US > UK so maybe try the other way around! Not sure if it would be suitable for eating after 3 months at sea so perhaps you want to give that option a miss Habs!!??  :D
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: manxman on June 13, 2009, 02:12:04 AM
QuoteIt would be nice if it could be teleported.

Haha ..... that option is probably a few years off yet!  ;D  Now putting it in a bottle and throwing it in the sea in front of our house may work, we already know it works US > UK so maybe try the other way around! Not sure if it would be suitable for eating after 3 months at sea so perhaps you want to give that option a miss Habs!!??  :D

It would be my luck that LQ or Gizmo would get it. :)

That reminds me of the bottle you and your son found, from the people in NYC.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteThat reminds me of the bottle you and your son found, from the people in NYC.

Yes, that's what prompted the idea. Still got that "message in a bottle" note somewhere, perhaps I should put 3 bottles out addressed to you, LQ and Gizmo to solve the problem!  ::) ;D
Manxman

Gizmo

West Coast Kansan would get the bottle.  He is closer to the beach than I am.   LQ, well, the bottle wouldn't get to far across the desert.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

seemore

Hi, Manxman, Mrs. here.   I found the demerara sugar as soon as I walked into our favorite grocery store here.  The creme fraiche?  Well I knew this particular store no longer carried it, so I went to another store.  No such luck...............I finally contacted a small neighborhood grocer across the river in Illinois, who will call me as soon as she gets more creme fraiche delivered.
The Amaretti biscuits?  I drew nothing but blank stares everywhere we went today and asked about them.
So, is there another type of biscuit I could use in place of Amaretti?
Thanks!