What to do with my Rhubarb

Started by OU812, May 29, 2009, 02:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

My Rhubarb is growing like crazy looking for some ideas on what to do with all of it. I will admit I aint no baker so the more info the better.

Thanks all.

Gizmo

Rhubarb pie and Rhubarb Crisp were my favorites growing up.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Ka Honu

OU812

Ka Honu

Quote from: OU812 on May 29, 2009, 03:47:04 PM...Now that wasn't nice...

True.  Didn't mean to offend but it kinda fit my mood today and my general feelings about rhubarb.  You want real "not nice," ask me about tofu.

deb415611

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

smokeitall

Cut, dip in sugar, bite, chew, cut, dip in sugar, bite, chew, repeat.....

When we were kids we would pick it out of the garden bust off the leaf and thick bottom part and dip in sugar.  My absolute favorite is Rhubarb crisp.  Now sure how its made though, I am sure there a ton of recipes out there.

I am going to run over to the store this weekend and see if I can find some Rhubarb plant, I forgot how much I like that stuff.  Thanks for the post.

Habanero Smoker

My favorite use if pies and cobblers.

Check out this link.
Rhubarb Recipes

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

We tend to freeze a lot of rhubarb so it is available over the winter, I have always cut into smallish pieces, blanced for a minute in boiling water then put into ice cold water to stop the cooking process, dried then frozen and vacuum sealed. However other people I know just freeze the stuff!  ::)

Favourite recipes include:

Rhubarb and apple crumble.
Poached rhubarb with stem ginger ice cream.
Rhubarb Fool Brulee.

Will post recipe if any of those interest you OU812?  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: manxman on May 30, 2009, 02:52:49 AM
We tend to freeze a lot of rhubarb so it is available over the winter, I have always cut into smallish pieces, blanced for a minute in boiling water then put into ice cold water to stop the cooking process, dried then frozen and vacuum sealed. However other people I know just freeze the stuff!  ::)

Favourite recipes include:

Rhubarb and apple crumble.
Poached rhubarb with stem ginger ice cream.
Rhubarb Fool Brulee.

Will post recipe if any of those interest you OU812?  :)

Yes! Please post. I am most interested in Rhubarb Fool Brulee recipe.

My favorite is Strawberry Rhubarb pie.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

kaz

Try this recipe. I've gone throught to be certain it's understandable regardless of your baking history!!! Cheers!!

KAZ's Rhubarb Pie
INGREDIENTS
4 cups chopped rhubarb (1/2" pieces)
1 1/3 cups white sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 pkg. Pillsbury pre-made pie shells (9") 2 per box
1 Tbsp Grated Orange zest (the orange skin)
1 TSP. Cinnamon
DIRECTIONS
1.Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
2.Combine sugar and flour. Combine Rhubarb, cinnamon, and orange zest thoroughly. Put one of the 2 pie shells in the pie plate. Sprinkle 1/4 of the sugar / flour mixture over pastry (Pie Shell) in pie plate. Pour rhubarb mixture into pie dish. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and flour. Dot with small pieces of butter. Cover with second pie shell and pinch edges with fingers to seal the pie .

Place pie on a cookie sheet to catch any drips and place on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
KAZ

manxman

QuoteI am most interested in Rhubarb Fool Brulee recipe.

Done this on several occasions, both the chilled and caramelised versions are great.

Ingredients:

1lb fresh rhubarb, washed trimmed and cut into roughly 1 inch pieces.
2 oz (50g) caster sugar
9 oz (250g) mascarpone cheese
10.5 oz (300g) creme fraiche
3 tablespoons Grand Marnier
grated zest half an orange
4.5 oz (125g) Amaretti biscuits
3 - 4 tablespoons demerara sugar.

n.b. I just used a conversion table for grams to ounces which explains the odd amounts!

Method:

1. Place rhubarb in large saucepan with the caster sugar and cook, covered, on a very gentle heat for 8 - 10 mins. Make sure you shake the pan occasionally to prevent sticking. Allow to cool.
2. Break the biscuits but don't crush them. Set aside.
3. In a suitably sized bowl mix the mascarpone, creme fraiche, Grand Marnier and orange zest until thick and smooth.
4. In an ovenproof casserole type dish layer half the rhubarb, biscuits and cream them repeat the process with the other halves.
5. Place in fridge till chilled.
6. a couple of hours before serving remove from fridge, sprinkle the demerara sugar over the cream and either
7. chill ...... in which case the topping will go melted and fudgy. OR
8. caramelize under the hottest grill possible..... in which case serve immediately as it will only stay crisp for a short while.

acknowledgement: This recipe originally came from a local cookbook of family recipes published in aid of a local school..... "A Taste of the Isle of Man"

If you want either of the others happy to post then too Habs when I get time?
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Manxman;

Thanks for the recipe, it looks real good. I'm going to gather the ingredients this week and try this.

For those who don't know what caster sugar is, it is sold in the States as superfine sugar, or bar sugar.

KAZ;
You recipe also looks good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

okeejohn

OU812-- If you have too much, depending on where you live, mail it and I will pay for the shipping.

Okeejohn
Okeechobee, Fl