HOORAY MY VERY FIRST PROJECT!!!!

Started by Up In Smoke, June 01, 2009, 04:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up In Smoke

Okay be it ever so humble i have found my first project.
i was at a friends house and spotted a small fridge that wasn't being used.
i asked about it and he said it worked but it was in the way....if i wanted it to take it
so i did. i just purchased a cold smoke unit and wondered what i was going to attach it to
because my heart couldn't stand drilling a hole in my bradley. (kinda silly huh?)
anyway i am gonna use this fridge to smoke cheese....
since i have never done anything like this suggestions would be appreciated.
do i need to remove the inner liner from the fridge?
i am using a 6" smoke daddy for the smoke.
i am going to try to set it up so i can use the bradley racks. which i am sure i can figure out.
i guess what i am asking is what do i need to be careful of?
i am guessing there will be no heat other than where the pipe for the smoke daddy comes in.
i figured that i would drill the opening larger than the pipe so i could do a double wall setup.
the fridge got down to 25 degrees during testing, i know i wont need it that low but i wanted to see what
it would do.
i plan on keeping the ice maker in it so i can keep the temp down,
i plan to cut a vent into the top similar to the bradley and install a vent fan like the one nepas uses.
Oh yeah a pic of the fride.

p.s. i will bleach it and clean it out well before using.
also the plastic doors and stuff will be removed.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

NePaSmoKer

Nice score there UIS  ;D

The plastic insides wont bother nothing if your just going to cold smoke with out heat. Behind that plastic is foamy insulation that makes a huge mess. Wires and cooling lines are routed on both sides so look at the schematic if its posted on the back.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Up In Smoke on June 01, 2009, 05:33:34 PM
Nepas,
i was thinking of mounting the generator to the door.
didn't figure on getting into any wires there.
by the way i took a bradley rack downstairs and it fits perfectly!!!!
no mods.....how cool is that?

Cool beans  :D

the door will work great.

nepas

Mr Walleye

Great scoop Jerry!

I agree with Nepas... I don't think there is any problem with the plastic interior if you are cols smoking only in it.

The only thing I would have against putting the smoke generator in the door is if you open the door to check on things the smoke is now pumping outside the unit. If it was mounted in the side of the unit it would have a tendency to keep the smoke a little more contained. Not that this would make that much of a difference but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

As far as drilling a hole in the side of the fridge goes, I would just drill the inside plastic first, trying not to get into the insulation. Next just dig out the insulation somewhat with a small screwdriver and check for wires. Once you are satisfied there is no wires or lines in the way finish drilling the hole.

Keep us posted how your new project goes.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ka Honu

So I'm thinkin' here... If you cut the door horizontally (make dutch doors) and put in an insulated shelf to divide the interior in two, you could use half the fridge for cold smoking and the other half for the beer you'll want to have handy when you check the loads.  Might have to run the smoker twice as often, but with a decent beer stash I don't see that as a problem.

Ka Honu

That would work but it's not quite as "elegant" a solution (although there's a lot to be said for the "cool heinie" factor which my suggestion failed to address).  I suppose adding a built-in Barca-Lounger and HDTV is out of the question.

smokeitall

So can you smoke your cheese right in between the cases of beer?  That way every time you take a swig of beer you will be smelling the smoke on the bottle/can.  ;D ;D ;D  You can call it beer cheese.

By the way great first project, have fun with it.

Habanero Smoker

Great idea. When I first saw your refrigerator I thought the both of use were working on parallel projects. I'm in the process of building a dry curing box to dry cure sausage (as usual I been bugging Mike about this). It got tire of waiting for a used freezerless refrigerator, so I purchased a new one. So I understand how you don't want to drill hole into your Bradley. The cost threw me back a bit, so I won't be purchasing the other equipment until fall.

What size is it? If it is large enough and you leave it in tact, except for a few holes you need to drill, it can also serve as a dry curing box.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

He who dies with the most toye wins   :D  ;D

Ya'll are passing me up  :D  :D

nepas

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on June 02, 2009, 04:38:50 AM
He who dies with the most toye wins   :D  ;D

Ya'll are passing me up :D  :D

nepas

YEAH RIGHT!!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

UIS   Way too cool!!  You are going to have fun learning and modding that baby!  Have fun and think about us once in a while - pics are good!  Used to eat a lot of really good smoked mullet and jerky that came out of a converted frigadaire.  

I've got my dibs on a used upright freezer that I'm gonna do a dry cure box as on Poli's site as soon as I can clear out a space in the garage and run some power to that corner.  Well, you know I haven't asked the wife if I am allowed to do that yet!  Dang, I knew it was going too well.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smokeitall

I thought the garage was the one space in a house that was ours. 

Oh man if I gotta ask permission to put stuff in the garage I better get home and clean a few things out before she goes in there. ;D

Caneyscud

Yep, know what you mean.  I've got a couple of fly rods, well more than a couple, that there is no way I can explain why!  My secret it to keep the garage so messed up, that she can't walk into it!  It's worked for almost 31 years now ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Man, I hope she nevers finds this forum!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smokeitall

Quote from: Caneyscud on June 02, 2009, 08:42:22 AM
Yep, know what you mean.  I've got a couple of fly rods, well more than a couple, that there is no way I can explain why!  My secret it to keep the garage so messed up, that she can't walk into it!  It's worked for almost 31 years now ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Man, I hope she nevers finds this forum!

That's too funny Caneyscud.  But now you gotta watch out because we got some dirt on you  ;)

And I know what you mean about the messy garage, I have a two car garage and you couldn't even fit one of those new cars that are like 4 ft long in it, not sure what kind of car those are but they look like you could pick em up and put them in your pocket.  But when I win that Indian from Bradley I'm sure I can find some room for it.  ;D ;D

pensrock

No one will ever catch you NEPAS let alone pass you up!  ;D

Most small fridges only have cooling lines at the top where the freezer area is. I would not be concerned about drilling into the side just be careful like Mike stated. I made a similar unit only out of an even smaller fridge. I have not tried using it while it was running yet. I do need to turn it the whole way up and check the temp, since it is old and was not working that well I hope it will stay above fifty, preferable 70. May have to plug it in to cool it off then unplug while smoking?

Have fun.
pens