Are Bradley Bisquettes approved and safe to use?

Started by kataquaz, June 30, 2009, 10:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kataquaz

Hey everyone,

I was flipping through the Bisquette booklet and read that the product is a cancer threat. Is this true????

I then looked over the product package and could not find an approval stamp anywhere.

Can anyone tell me if they are safe to use or not? I plan on opening up a fast food place and I don't want the Government shutting me down for something like this.

Thanks
-K-

Margareeman

Hey kataquaz, i am no expert but there are articles out there all over the place that say BBQing can cause cancer, the issue is the carcinogens. Really i would not worry about it at all. In my opinion BBQ'ed and smoked food are probably the safest foods you will eat, if cooked properly. It very natural. It's the processed garbage that you gotta watch out for that is being sold nowadays, nothing but chemicals. Ok I will stop my rant now!

NePaSmoKer

Carcinogens happen when there is a flare up and the flame hits the meat. The Bradley will not have any flare ups.

nepas

smokeitall

I say don't take any chances, send me all your bisquettes.  ;D ;D ;D

Habanero Smoker

Smoke; whether it be from the Bradley, or a charcoal or wood burning pit, will contain some carcinogens. The Federal government and most states do not require you to issue that warning; so the risk is minimal. That warning is required in California, but that put that warning on almost any product sold in that state.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Margareeman

I say smoke and bbq till your hearts content, we all gonna die some day, why take the fun out of life. There are warnings issued everywhere you turn. Live life to the fullest, don't sweat the small stuff and you'll have no worries!!

smokeitall

You probably have a better chance of getting lead poisoning from a toy from china then cancer from some yummy smoke...IMO

Up In Smoke

Quote from: smokeitall on June 30, 2009, 06:02:03 PM
You probably have a better chance of getting lead poisoning from a toy from china then cancer from some yummy smoke...IMO
My dog and i were just discussing this today ;D ;D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Ka Honu

Quote from: kataquaz on June 30, 2009, 10:54:58 AMCan anyone tell me if they are safe to use or not?

They tried to do a scientific study but the lab rats couldn't hold & puff on the little pipes long enough to tell - guess they should have let them roll their own (or used lawyers as test animals).

smokeitall

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 30, 2009, 06:31:33 PM
Quote from: kataquaz on June 30, 2009, 10:54:58 AMCan anyone tell me if they are safe to use or not?

They tried to do a scientific study but the lab rats couldn't hold & puff on the little pipes long enough to tell - guess they should have let them roll their own (or used lawyers as test animals).

Not thats funny...LMAO

I can just see the little lab rats now....puff puff give  ;D ;D

La Quinta

UH....OK???? Well I would say...ah...never mind can't say that...uh...well...ah...uh...umm...don't wanna get thrown off the site....

I appreciate your concern...(sounds good doesn't it)???  ???

Caneyscud

I'm in with the others

However, there appears to be two possible ways to get carcinogens - Outside and Inside.  The outside type is generally a product of imperfect combustion found in smoke and burned matter.  The original linking between this type and cancer was in chimneysweeps who showed a greater and unusual rate of scrotal cancer!  While grilling, lots of it comes from grease flare ups that char the outside of your meat as NePa posted.  Does the amount ingested while eating a wee bit in a grilled burger or hot dog occassionally is bad for you - nobody knows and since nobody knows, the risk is probably minimal if any.  Incidently, it is not just grilled items - what is toast but burnt bread...etc....
The second type is a relatively new discovery and comes from chemical reactions in the meat when subjected to high temps and are found inside the meat.  They are not just limited to grilling and bbq'ing but any time high temp and meat get together, so smoking has no more or a risk than other cooking methods, and probably less of a risk because of the low temps used in smoking.  When grilling, cooking meat till it's well-done supposedly generates the most bad things.  There's nothing inherent in gas or charcoal or wood that makes one safer than the other. You can make the case that since the production of dangerous chemicals is linked to high heat, and the heat level is easier to control in a gas grill or electric smoker, gas grills and electric smokers are safer. But that's speculation.

What if anything should you do to reduce risk due to barbecuing?   Some are easy: don't incinerate your food, avoid flare-ups by not placing meat directly over coals, cook at lower temps, cut off blackened bits. Some are more hassle but not unreasonable: microwave meat beforehand for one to two minutes to reduce levels of chemicals that form carcinogens and to cut down grill time. Others sound, way out there, adding vitamin E to the meat or drinking tea with your barbecue (antioxidants supposedly detoxify the carcinogens).

What is one to do?  - undercooking your hamburger increases the risk of food poisoning due to E. coli bacteria  - cooking it well done increases your risk of cancer!?  What does it all mean - it means there is too much dubious information out there and a whole bunch of tree-hugging mamby-pamby beaurocrats and Communistic News Network type folks out there that report things that have no real need to be reported until some real link and FACTS are found.  Until then it is all speculation based on some opinion of some lib who became a reporter because he couldn't hold any other job.  Wow, did I really say that?

If you're the Geico Caveman or Fred Flintstone, having to grill those Bronto Ribs on a daily basis, maybe you should worry. A couple steaks once a week during the summer, a brisket or butts every now or then, ribs when you feel like it!  As the song goes 'Don't worry -- Be Happy!'  Hey, I'll bring the iced tea and help you lessen your chances of getting cancer from brisket by eating your share.    If you want to lessen your chances of getting cancer by not eating, not drinking, and not breathing - hey! - that's your decision!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Margareeman

Caneyscud, you hit the nail on the head, very good post.

OU812

Caneyscud has the same views on this point as I do.

kataquaz

Hey guys,

Well thanks for all the info! I appreciate your input!

I'm still wondering about one thing though. On the bisquette packaging there is no approved seal.

Shouldn't they have one?
-K-