Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Holy crap mcalpin1 that is cheep its more like $8.99 per lb around here

mcalpin1

I picked up eight fish and trying this recipe again.  I used it on pinks and I received an empty plate approval.  I don't know if the rest of you knew the word "pellicle", but I had to look it up.    Sounds like a dentist is smoking the salmon.

The prices of salmon changed this week... Pinks are still dirt cheap, but the caviar/vodka consumers had to pay $5 a hen.  Kings $1lb, and bright coho.. $1.50 lb.  I need to get a great fillet knife..   

Pellicle (mycology), the outermost layer of a mushroom; often used only for a surface that is viscid and easily peels.
Pellicle (biology), a thin layer supporting the cell membrane in various protozoa
Pellicle mirror, a thin plastic membrane which may be used as a beam splitter or protective cover in optical systems
Pellicle (dental), the thin layer of salivary glycoproteins deposited on the teeth of many species through normal biologic processes
Pellicle, the protective cover which can be applied to a photomask used in semiconductor device fabrication. The pellicle protects the photomask from damage and dirt.
Pellicle (material), a brand name for a very resistant synthetic material used for covering different surfaces, such as that of the Aeron chair

shakesports

ok I tried it. overcooked my salmon a bit but seeing as this is the third round of smoked anything for me I did ok.

For the rest of the newbies like myself do yourself a favor and try this recipe.   FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fillets that didn't get overcooked are out of this world.

Kummoks brine with 2hrs of cherry smoke is on top of the recipe favorites for me. :) :D ;D 8)

Shake    ;D

Kummok

"Overcooked" to me means it's time to shake a little Chef Paul's Blackened Redfish Magic in a Ziplock along with the fish and make blackened smoked salmon...another great crowd pleaser!  ;)

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there Kummok,

I got a strange call today. My wife called and knowing that I will be flying home tomorrow night she said that she will buying some salmon tomorrow so that I would smoke them for us on Friday. She always enjoyed smoked food but has nothing to do with the work involved. She said that she will have them brined your way for me ( I arrive around 2 AM Friday morning) and the she added by she wants them smoked Kummok's way. It was a shocker to me/. Apparently she's been reading through the forum.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Mr Walleye

She's a smart lady HR!  ;)  :D

Ya just can't beat it!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Hopefull Romantic

Youare right on the money Mr. Walleye,

after two weeks away on business trip, I miss my wife, kids, dog and my Bradley smoker. But not necessarily in that order.

HR

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on September 09, 2009, 09:31:34 AM
Youare right on the money Mr. Walleye,

after two weeks away on business trip, I miss my wife, kids, dog and my Bradley smoker. But not necessarily in that order.

HR

Darn I forgot she's been reading through the forum. Just kidding honey  ::)

HR

Kummok

She's DEFINITELY a keeper, HR!!  I can't get my wife to handle the fish....she loves it but doesn't like the prep smells..... :'(  Too bad, too....she REALLY wanted to help a while back so I told her that she could mix up the brine. She misread the marking on the bags of brown sugar, doubled it, and we ended up with the best squaw candy EVER!!

Orca One

I am new to The Forum but have enjoyed following the thread and learning a great deal from you all.  Actually, I have smoked salmon, steelhead and other fish for over forty years and thought I had it down until I bought my new Digital, four tray, Bradley.  What a shock.........  Like trying to teach an "Old Dog" new tricks!  Here is where I need help.........  How can I get the deep smoked color I was use to with my old smokers on Salmon?  Especially on white King.  And, how does opening the shutter on the top of the smoker affect the smoked flavor and color of the finished product?  The nice folks at Bradley couldn't answer and referred me to the forum.  Help! :( :(

Orca One

classicrockgriller

Hiya Orca, welcome to the forum. I personally can't help you but someone will be shortly that can.

Just wanted to say greeting and home to see around forum again.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Orca One;

Welcome to the forum. There are many that smoke a lot of salmon, hopefully you will soon get responses. I only smoke salmon occasionally.

As for the vent openings, this link may be helpful:

What is the purpose of the vent?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

OU812

tsquared

Hi Orca One--welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are going through the same learning curve of "new tricks" that I went through with the Bradley and fish. One thing I thought re the colour of your fish is the temperature. If you are using Kummock's kippering technique (raising the temp gradually) you might try starting out at the lowest temp with no smoke and wait until the 2nd temp change to put your pucks on. The reason for this is salmon will take on more colour if you hit it with the smoke at a higher ambient temperature as opposed to a lower one. I wouldn't hit it with a longer smoke time because it will still take on a smokey taste at a lower temperature but it doesn't show with as much colour.
Cheers,
T2
PS--
I'm sitting at my computer(sicker than a dog) looking out at a beautiful sunny Juan de Fuca strait, wishing I was out looking for winter springs.