Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyweb69

Thanks Kummock.  I did another batch same way (again given time restraints I had to use the same brine not yours but I do want to try that soon!) and did 80% of the salt.  MUCH better, you can barely taste the salt.   I also cut the time a little bit too (5 1/2 hours).  Can't wait to give it another go!

STLstyle

I'm very interested in everyone's opinion about desired IT of smoked salmon.  I'm a rookie and have done 1 batch of Kummok's recipe.  I pulled around 145 or less, can't remember.  I read somewhere to start fork testing at 135.  It was delicious and I assume it wouldn't be as good if I pulled at 160.   Here in MO it's not common to see wild fresh salmon offered at the stores I frequent that's not an option.  Can't wait to do another batch...  Thx in advance for the comments.

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

pmmpete

See my comments about internal temperature at http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=30863.msg364765#msg364765 .

STLstyle

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

porkdog324

Hi

I'm not sure if this has been asked before (haven't had time to read the whole thread :-\)

The recipe on the first post... how much fish is that for?  If I have one slab to do, how much should I use?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks,
Brent

tailfeathers

I also have a question for the salmon experts out there. The last batch I did turned out very well, it was wild caught frozen sockeye, delicious! My question is: some (not all) of the portions have a grayish layer about 1/8" thick just under the skin that is kind of mushy and oily. Is this from not drying long enough between brining and smoking, or some other cause?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Quarlow

Porkdog and other newbies to this site, please don't worry if someone has already ask a question. We are not uptight here and don't mind answering the questions. In the past our search engine for this site sucked and it was real hard to find the answers you were looking for. If you have a questions try the search or ask, you will either get an answer or someone will post a link to the answer.  Enjoy.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pikeman_95

Quote from: tailfeathers on January 20, 2014, 11:56:46 AM
I also have a question for the salmon experts out there. The last batch I did turned out very well, it was wild caught frozen sockeye, delicious! My question is: some (not all) of the portions have a grayish layer about 1/8" thick just under the skin that is kind of mushy and oily. Is this from not drying long enough between brining and smoking, or some other cause?

The gray layer just under the skin is the slime gland which is where some of the strong fish flavor comes from. This is why I filet the skin off my ocean salmon. If you make it a point of getting that gray layer off you will find it taste better. Try tasting that gray layer by itself. Tell me what you think of the taste.

tailfeathers

It's pretty fishy all right! If I remove the skin and there is some of the grayish stuff I've been removing it and spreading it on a triscuit with a little smoked cheddar. Not bad, but not nearly as good as the rest of the salmon.

tailfeathers

1/8" is probably not accurate, it's less than that.

tailfeathers

Quote from: tailfeathers on January 20, 2014, 05:07:17 PM
It's pretty fishy all right! If I remove the skin and there is some of the grayish stuff I've been removing it and spreading it on a triscuit with a little smoked cheddar. Not bad, but not nearly as good as the rest of the salmon.
Then again, I like anchovies and it don't get much "fishy-er" than that!

pikeman_95

Costco used to sell there farm raised salmon with that gray layer left on. They finally started taking it off. I think they figured that tasting bad was not worth the weight left on. When theu had it on I found freezing it almost solid made it much easier to slice that gray layer off. I have made no effort to save that stuff. The same goes for canning salmon. If you leave the skin on you can expect it to taste real fishy. One of the other reasons I like to take the skin off is I like both sides with the great taste of Kummoks brine. When you leave the skin on half of the flavor is tossed out with the skin.
Kirby

tailfeathers

Well I've filleted a pile of fish in my day so I guess henceforth I will remove the skin. I've no experience with salmon however. Will the meat come off the skin like a walleye or perch?

pikeman_95

You bet. I use brush cleaner that I get from Ace hardware.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3006698
On a flat board I pin the skin on tail end to the board then with a very sharp knife I slip the skin off. I have fileted lots of fish . Here are some small rainbows that I had. Look how nice the skin came off.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=24231.msg290908#msg290908

here are some pike

STLstyle

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod