Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Lookin forward to the next trip then.
I'll definatly let you know if we ever get to the land of my favorite bird.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Kummok

Ya like ptarmigan, do ya?!?!?!   ;)

Gizmo

Never had them,
was thinking of the great canadian geese.
I have had quail though and if I am not mistaken, they are similar.

mikeraste

Just finished my first batch of salmon (second time using my new OBS).  I too found Kummok's recipe to be excellent.  I used it on both coho and chum, freshly caught.  Not sure I got enough glaze on it as I left it air drying for about 1 hour.  But I did love the terriyaki in the brine.  Put the chum on the bottom racks and coho above.  Chum has more oils in it.  I cut the pieces of fish larger than recommended but still came out fine.  I think I will cut them smaller next time just to have a comparison.  Vac sealed half of it and put it into the freezer.  Look forward to eating those later.  Will try more chum later as this is the time for them here in Seattle.  Thanks to all who kept this thread running.  As someone said before me "really cuts down on the learning curve."

Rider

I will trying this. Got the marinade ready, mixed to Kummok's recipe in the first post with the exeption of using 10 oz of Tamari instead of a quart, 6 cloves of garlic pressed and one tbsp of cayenne.  I will marinate overnight(8 hours or so) then dry in the fridge until I get home from work to smoke it.  I want to do some of it cold smoked and then extend the rest to a hot smoke.  Think this will work?
I will post picks and reviews.
This forum Rocks!
Smoke On

tsquared

Rider--it should work, but you need to make sure your fish is nice and dry before starting to smoke--put it in a cool area and turn a fan on the pieces for a couple of hours to get that satiny pellicle--then have at 'er. Let us know how they turn out.
T2

Carter

Did I just see the word "great" used to describe "Canadian Geese"?

That is definitely a first for me.

They're the seagulls of the north, only much messier, & much more ornery.  If you've ever been attacked by one, you know what I mean.

Carter

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Carter on December 02, 2008, 10:22:10 AM

They're the seagulls of the north, only much messier, & much more ornery.  If you've ever been attacked by one, you know what I mean.

Carter

:D  :D  ;D

I had to laugh, we have a fair number that nest here on the local lakes in the summer and you are extremely correct regarding "much more ornery".

In fact they are just nasty when they are nesting. I've been in a couple of scraps with them.  :D

Funny (true) story for you. A guy who goes on a regular fishing trip with me was out fishing with his Dad. They came back to the marina to have lunch. They were sitting on the tailgate of the truck in the parking lot (very busy marina I might add) having some sandwiches and his Dad started feeding a Canadian goose bits of his sandwich. Now you have to understand, this is an older Ukrainian gentleman that worked hard his whole life. He's about 5' 6", stocky build and has big strong hands from hard work all his life. Anyway, he gets done his lunch and the goose decides he's still hungry so he (the goose) keeps pestering him. Well, soon the goose finally pretty much attacks him... there they are... the old man and a goose... rolling around in the parking lot... Of course the goose is making all kinds of noise. Then all of the sudden the old boy pulls out his knife and off goes the goose's head... Everything goes quiet... He picks up the goose, throws it in the back of the truck and looks at his son... So... are we going fishing or what?

:D  :D  :D  ;D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Carter

That's a great story.  I'm sorry it took me two weeks to read it.  :D

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Mr Walleye on December 02, 2008, 02:50:22 PM
Quote from: Carter on December 02, 2008, 10:22:10 AM

Carter

:D  :D  ;D

I had to laugh, we have a fair number that nest here on the local lakes in the summer and you are extremely correct regarding "much more ornery".

In fact they are just nasty when they are nesting. I've been in a couple of scraps with them.  :D

Funny (true) story for you. A guy who goes on a regular fishing trip with me was out fishing with his Dad. They came back to the marina to have lunch. They were sitting on the tailgate of the truck in the parking lot (very busy marina I might add) having some sandwiches and his Dad started feeding a Canadian goose bits of his sandwich. Now you have to understand, this is an older Ukrainian gentleman that worked hard his whole life. He's about 5' 6", stocky build and has big strong hands from hard work all his life. Anyway, he gets done his lunch and the goose decides he's still hungry so he (the goose) keeps pestering him. Well, soon the goose finally pretty much attacks him... there they are... the old man and a goose... rolling around in the parking lot... Of course the goose is making all kinds of noise. Then all of the sudden the old boy pulls out his knife and off goes the goose's head... Everything goes quiet... He picks up the goose, throws it in the back of the truck and looks at his son... So... are we going fishing or what?

:D  :D  :D  ;D  ;D

Mike

Now, that is a funny arse story.  I watched a lady on the golf course get chased by one so bad that she ended up jumping in a pond (not sure why she didn't think they were called waterfowl for a reason), but that Mike, is one of the funniest stories I've heard about a goose-human encounter.

Thanks for the laugh!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

ollavac_j

Hey guys.  Can you guys tell me in order which salmon have the most oil?  I'm just trying to guage the cook times from Kummok's recipe...

Thanks,
John

tsquared

Kings (springs) and sockeye at the top for most oil, then silvers (coho), pinks and chum salmon with the least oil.
T2

ollavac_j

chain smoker

Just took my first batch of this out of the smoker.......HOLY CRAP IS THIS STUFF GOOD!!!!!

Gizmo

Welcome and congrats Chain Smoker.
Any time you want to post some pictures please do so.