• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Can Baby backs be this difficult?

Started by mamba, February 06, 2005, 01:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamba

I've ready every thread on baby backs and have wandered to other sites to hear what others have to say.  Taking into account all the things I have read, I made my second attempt at Baby backs today.  Did all the routine prep including getting rid of the membrane and doing a rub overnight.  Bought Hormel ribs from Target, which have worked fine in the oven.  Fired up the Bradley to 200.  Filled the water bowl and put in about 3 hours of Apple (didn't really matter which type for me.  I just wanted to see what apple was like on ribs).  Formed the ribs in a U shaped pattern and stuck a wooden dowell in each slab to hold them together so I could smoke them on their sides.  Put them in for 3 hours, flipped them and stuck in a temperature probe into each.  It read about 150 at that time.  Took it about another 3 hours to hit 190 and I never peeked.  Took them out, foiled them and stuck them in a cooler for about an hour.  Took them out and cut them up.  The meat pulled away from the bone nicely but it was a little dry and not as tender as I expected.  Now, In fairness, I didn't use bacon on the top shelf cause I wanted to see if you just have to use bacon or not when you cook ribs.  Seems silly to always have to put bacon on top, but I will from now on if that is what you have to do.

My first ribs were not cooked enough.  These seemed a bit overcooked but came out at 190 like many say should work for fall off the bone ribs.  Temps today in my area were about 60 with clear skies, so weather wasn't a factor.  I'm just puzzled at what you have to do to get good, consistent, fall off the bone tender ribs.  Anybody see a flaw in my process besides the bacon?

BigSmoker

Try adding some(not alot)of apple juice when you foil the ribs next time.  That should do the trick.  Happy Smokin'.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

mamba

Thanks BigSmoker.  How about temperature?  If you are going to foil, should you take them out prior to 190?  Say about 187 or so and let them continue to rise a few once foiled?

Please let me make it clear to the forum that this is not a complaint thread.  I love this Bradley and I know Ribs are hard to make.  I may try spares next time and see how they work with their higher fat content.  The one great thing about this machine is you want to experiment again right away.  Like today when I fire up a nice Boston Butt.  Can't wait!

nsxbill

With ribs, you are on a voyage of discovery.  They aren't easy, in my opinion.  I really think you should do the bacon on top rack...what a difference it makes!  I sauce them up about 4 hours in also. and then an hour before they come out.  Haven't tried apple juice yet.  Have to get a sprayer for that, because I think it is a good idea.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

farmboy

I have a question? what dose the bacon do. I have cooked baby backs on my offset and had no problem. Why are they so hard to cook in the BS.

If it grows, moo's or squeal's it came off a farm.

owrstrich

i dont think it is absolutly necessary... but is very forgiving until it all gets figured out...

once the bacon drips on the ribs to add flavour and helps keep them moist it kinda gets addictive...

i use bacon over just about everything... kinda like the foil towel cooler deal... not necessary but the results are addictive...

that ftc freaks me out...

more without prejudice later...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

MallardWacker

I think Bill summed it up quite well.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> With ribs, you are on a voyage of discovery.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I think you are doing fine to start with loin backs.  There are times it seems you can do no wrong and they come out like you have been doing them all your life, THEN there are days that you have done everything like you have in the past and it seems you are some rookie that could get them tender and juicy if you cooked them in crock pot for 24hrs.  I do beleive the more you do them, the more consistant you will be. These are the things I do:

Pull you membrains and use a good rub the night before.

Cook at a temp of 200 with 4hrs of smoke.

Pull at 185-187 then FTC them.

Here is a thread that is way back there about ribs:http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=161

These guys might have something about the Bacon[:p], you can never go wrong with Bacon[:p].  BigSmokes sugestion about Apple juice maybe a good direction also, I used his same sugestion with my last brisket~~it really worked well.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

mamba

Thanks for all the input.  I pulled them at 200 thinking they'd be closer to just 'falling off the bone' but in hindsight I think I should have pulled them a bit earlier.  Maybe the FTC method simply overcooks them when put in at 200.  I'll try the bacon next time out and see how that works.

I will say this is one hobby where the practice is a heck of a lot of fun!  I've got a Boston Butt that I'm going to report on in another thread!

JuneBug

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Pull you membrains and use a good rub the night before.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Excuse my rib ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by remove the membrain. I assume the membrain is the skin on the bottom size of the ribs that holds the rack together? How do you remove that it seems like it would be a difficult job. Any links/info on how to do this?

MallardWacker

JB,

You are correct, it's the skin on the bottom of the rack.  I always wash my ribs first, then dry them real well with an old towl.  To start the membrane, I go to the corner then with a knife I try and get it started.  Then I grab it with a part of the towl that is dry, it seems to grab/hold on to the menbrane better than just using your fingers alone.  I had a thought, maybe a fish skinning pare of plyers might work well also.  Really, once you get it started, it comes off quite easy.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

nsxbill

To remove the membrane, I use a Kelly clamp.  It is a small medical clamp that is use during surgery to clamp off a small blood vessel (Remember, I am an RN).  The clamp is Stainless and has a very small tip.  I just grab a corner of the membrane, lock the clamp and then pull back and up at the same time.  Sometimes I will roll away from the attachment point.  The trick is to get it off in one piece.

For you older guys and gals with a history of surviving the summer of love, it was a very popular roach clip from the medical supply store.  Here is a picture:

Quite handy for pulling the membrane off on ribs or holding other things right down to the very last hit! [8D] [8D]  At least that is what I have heard.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

Very good, I have some, I got to get them out of my trout box

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

nsxbill

For those who don't have one already, or forgot where they put them after last use [:D] [}:)].  You can pick up straight ones here for $3.25 each.http://www.jascouniform.com/ecom/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=11889803&st=4955&st2=70772025&st3=-76242367&Product_ID=7465&CATID=38

Bill

humpa

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1026
Mamba.......Check this link out. It even has a picture of the finished product. Whole ribs or baby backs come out so moist and tender. Whole racks have more fat in them so they are easier to keep moist. Bacon is the main thing here. I cook everything with it, and I put the bacon right on it, like a skin. This will free up that top rack for more ribs. Also, I don't over cook them. FTC will up the internal temp another 5 deg. Good luck!!!!
            Ernie from Boston

Hey Doc...I'm down to 2 racks a day!!!

Cold Smoke

NSXBill <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">For you older guys and gals with a history of surviving the summer of love, it was a very popular roach clip<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Most young folks these days have a pair of these a lot more accessible than a pencil or calculator. I've got a few pairs myself..........in my tackle box- to remove fish hooks----they work great! [8D][;)]

Cold Smoke