• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Stripped Gear on Advance Motor

Started by chipdurham, February 07, 2005, 02:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipdurham

My grandmother asked me to fix her Bradley Original after the smoke disks stopped advancing.  I found this forum and read through the posts.  Took the smoke generator apart and it appears the there are a couple of teeth stripped on the synchronous motor that advances the disks.  She bought her smoker in 2003 so it is out of waranty.  The tower and smoke generator have not been used much, but I will bet the disks were exposed to moisture and got flaky.  When she tried to use them instead of buying new ones they jammed in the feed mechanism and caused the gears to strip.

I found the web site for the company that makes the Hengxing TYJ50-8 synchronous motor, but they do not ship them retail.

Anyone have a spare motor they want to sell or know where I can order one?  I sent an email to Bradley Customer Service but I do not expect them to sell me a part for a smoker that is out of waranty.  I would buy Grandmother a new smoke generator, but hers is in new condition except for the gear and it just does not sit well with me to junk the whole unit because a $5 part is broken plus the new smoke generator is $180.

Thanks in advance.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all - Thumper

Oldman

chipdurham,

First my understanding is Bradley does not sell generator parts. Next I'm going to E-mail my operations manager this information and see if we or perhaps his dad can get this part for you.  

He get parts for us through his dad many times below wholesale. Give me couple of days. Also post or E-mail to me the web-site of the company that makes/ carries this part.
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

chipdurham

Olds

Thanks for your help.  The web site is
http://www.heng-xin.com/eproducts.htm  

Thankfully it is in both english and in chinese so I was able to understand it.

It is my understanding that companies do not sell parts because too many people would install them wrong, get hurt and then expect the company to shell out big bucks to settle some frivolous law suit.  People have no conception of personal responsibility these days in any sense of the words.

How rude would I be to hurry you when you are doing me a favor?  Take your time.  Any help is much appreciated.

Chip

Kummok

Chip
From what I know about Bradley, don't be too surprised if you get a positive response from them that makes you very [:D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Chez Bubba

Chip,

Not that it makes a whole lot of difference, but we have the black generator only units for $94.99. Still doesn't make sense to trash the whole thing for what should be a lot cheaper part.

From what I've been told, those motors are the same as used to be used in turntables (record players). We've tried a bit to find a source but have been unsuccessful, primarily because most people we've talked to don't know what a turntable or record is. Man, I must be getting old![:(]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

chipdurham,

My operations manager has forwarded this information to his father. I have never opened up my unit so I have no idea of what this looks like. If it is just a gear maybe we can get one cut for you if nothing else.  I got an old unit that was replaced under warranty. I don't time tomarrow, but I will tear it apart in the next couple of days and take a look that this item.

We have a guy here that I joking say...could make you a heart. If it is just a gear that is a piece of cake for him.  Most items he makes is also out of stainless steel.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Chip, welcome to the Forum . . . as you can see, we are a group of folks who know we have a great smoker and want to make sure we optimize everyone's experience with it.  I'm impressed that your grandmama uses it . . . if I'm not being TOO bold, how old is she (the decade she is in will do [:D][:D])?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />
From what I've been told, those motors are the same as used to be used in turntables (record players<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Kirk and All,
I believe the member that did replace his motor stated that it was for a turntable motor fot a <b><font color="red">microwave oven</font id="red"></b>, he said he found an exact match and it bolted right up, screw holes matched.  I forget who did it, we asked to tell us the numbers or any identification he might have of the new motor he found, but he said he had already put it togeter and did not know.I beleive he sated that he went down to a appliance parts house to get it.  I beleive the post was with in the past 3-4 months.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">here is an old post,
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=708

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

MallardWacker

<b><font color="red">THATS IT'S OLDS.</font id="red"> </b>

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

chipdurham

Thanks all.  I got a quick reply from customer service but they could not help with a part.

I like the turntable motor idea.  I would jump for joy if someone knew the equivalent replacement motor numbers and where to get one.  The motor is small so I will pull it and carry it in my pocket in case I run across a big parts store.  Pike Road, Alabama does not have any, but I travel all over Alabama for my job and I may get a chance to find a big parts house.

Replacing the gear would be such a cool thing to do, but since it is a small electric motor and the gears are "press-fit" I will damage the shaft or the gear if I get into the guts of the motor.  I can fix anything on motorcycles and other small engines but I am near my limit with electric motors.

Thanks again for the replies.  Wish me luck.

Oldman

If you don't find what you are looking for, is it possible to grind or mill off this gear? Also it will be a few more days (a family member just passed away and I now will be out of town) and I'm going to take apart the bad generator I have and take it to my man. I will be hanged by my short hairs if I have a gear strip and I have to pay for a new SS generator.

This reminds me of a piece of equipment that we use that has plastic gears. All of them at a cost of a bend over without even a reach around.  Well now all of my gears are high carbon steel. Screw the manufacture.

Well the manufacture told me that it could not be done--! Bullchit.  I'm the guy here that built his own truck mounted unit. A unit with much innovation at the time--1982...1983. Items that the then industry laugh at. Items today that are now standard on most units.

<b>I like Bradley. I support them in many ways.</b> However, this lack of a parts business rubs me personally the wrong way. It may cost more the first time to make parts, but one thing is for sure if it is made out of high carbon steal or stainless steel no puck going to break it. If the pucks jam it up enough to burn out the motor I'm sure there are  gears motors out there to over-come that problem as well.

I don't like paying for something twice. And you can bet your bottom dollar I don't pay three times.
Olds

chipdurham

Olds,

I hear you.  I take it as a personal challange when someone tells me I am better off to just junk it an buy a new one.  Of course, my garage looks like a salvage yard and when it is cold or rainy I catch hell from my wife about her car being outside.  As soon as I get the motor out and apart I will post some pictures for those of us who are curious about such things.  I appreciate the good price Bradley gave me for the new smoke generator but I am not ready to throw in the towel yet.

Hang in there man.  The world needs more people who can adapt, improvise and overcome.

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chipdurham</i>
<br />Olds,

The world needs more people who can adapt, improvise and overcome.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You'd fit in REAL well up here in Alaska, Chip [;)]  This is an excerpt from an article in today's local paper...see the whole article at http://www.homertribune.com/

"Hickory tows in gimp vessel, held together with coffee cans

By John Crowder
Homer Tribune
The U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Hickory and its crew towed the F/V Red Baron into Homer's port last week, after the vessel encountered engine problems and began drifting in Cook Inlet. The engine of the 80-foot crab-fishing vessel, based out of Anchorage, was welded together with coffee cans in various places to keep it running, say Coast Guard officials."

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA