• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

bosten butt help

Started by coorsxman, July 18, 2009, 12:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coorsxman

hey people i just got my smoker and i dying to use it ,im going to start with something easy to do so doing butts .  there small butts 5-6# if i put ONE in the morning atound 6 am and i get off work at 2:30 pm think thats ok? keep water in bowl? and how many smoke do u guys think? or how long ? i bought apple flavor pucks.

FLBentRider

Quote from: coorsxman on July 18, 2009, 12:41:27 PM
hey people i just got my smoker and i dying to use it ,im going to start with something easy to do so doing butts .  there small butts 5-6# if i put ONE in the morning atound 6 am and i get off work at 2:30 pm think thats ok? keep water in bowl? and how my smoke do u guys think? or how long ? i bought apple flavor pucks.

I would use 4 hours of pucks. You should empty and refill the water bowl at the four hour mark.

If you can't get back to empty and refill it I would use a (deep) foil pan in place of the water bowl to give you more capacity.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

qcrowner

Ok, here is what I usually do if I make pulled pork.  Not sure if this is your goal or not.  Hope it helps.

1. Apply rub, wrap in saranwrap and let rest in fridge overnight.
2. Let butt get to room temp while smoker is heating up.  Usually takes smoker 1 hour but I let them go 2hrs. to get to room temp.
3. I heat the Bradley to 300.
4. Put meat into Bradley and lower the temp to read 210.  I found the smoker will bounce between 200 and 210.
5. Apply smoke for 4 hours.
6. Wrap or boat in foil and add Apply Juice or Whiskey for moisture.
7.  Place in a pre-heated oven at 205.  You can leave it in the Bradley if you want, just shut off the smoke.
8. Pull meat out when internal temp hits 190.
9. Foil, Towel, Cooler, the meat for at least an hour maybe 2.
10.  Take out of foil and pull.

I also use a maverick food probe.  It has one probe for your smoker temp and one to put in the meat so you can watch the internal temp of the meat.

coorsxman

how long do one puck last? i seasoned my smoker and i went thro 5 in an hour they dropped right in the water pan didnt even look like they burned thro all the way is that right?   ill just leave it in the smoker ..wrap it in foil in the smoker with apple juice? and thx for your help  :)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: coorsxman on July 19, 2009, 04:57:03 AM
how long do one puck last? i seasoned my smoker and i went thro 5 in an hour they dropped right in the water pan didnt even look like they burned thro all the way is that right?

Pre heat your smoker and the smoke generator. Each puck should smoke and cycle for approx 20 mins. When i do butts i pre heat to 225* before i add the butt, water in the pan vent half open. when you have the temp at what you set it for load butt, load 2 to 4 hours worth of pucks and let them cycle. I take my butts to an IT (internal meat temp of 210*) However i do use a PID and a foil wrapped brick inside the smoker. This helps to recover the heat faster if you open the door. When you get good at this you can bypass the FTC stuff.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: coorsxman on July 19, 2009, 04:57:03 AM
how long do one puck last? i seasoned my smoker and i went thro 5 in an hour they dropped right in the water pan didnt even look like they burned thro all the way is that right?   ill just leave it in the smoker ..wrap it in foil in the smoker with apple juice? and thx for your help  :)

When you say 5 in an hour, did you just load 5, or 5 made it to the burner and into the bowl in one hour. If you only loaded 5, and advance 3 times, only three will make it to the burner (1 hour of smoke), and two stay on the track. If you have bubba pucks they will push the remaining bisquettes to the burner.

What are bubba pucks?

Also welcome to the forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Superporky

Im new just as well but Ive done 2 shoulders so far and both were excellent.  Smoker at 200-220 for 8-10 hours to get your desired IT.  The IT will be of your choosing everyone says something different.  In the end its how well done you like your meat.  I have yet to boat or FTC but I will try it out and see what happens.  I would recommend smoke for about 1/2 the cook time at the beginning and get yourself some bubba pucks I have not yet but I will.  They are aluminum pucks that push the last of your wood to the burner so you dont waste the last two.  Do an injection marinade overnight to get some real deep flavor.  The two I did were good but I believe that injection is by far, better than just a rub and sauce on the outside.  Be patient and I would def recommend a meat thermometer with a probe on a cord to monitor the meat.  The best $20 I have spent yet.  And remember to put the fat side up.

rdevous

Now you've gone and made me hungry..........Yeah, like that's hard!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Never thought about injecting a butt...interesting.

Using the FTC method.....is the towel dry or wet?  If wet...water, whiskey or apple juice?

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: rdevous on August 19, 2009, 06:06:39 AM

Now you've gone and made me hungry..........Yeah, like that's hard!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Never thought about injecting a butt...interesting.

Using the FTC method.....is the towel dry or wet?  If wet...water, whiskey or apple juice?

Ray

Ray,
The towel is dry. FTC is wrap meat in Foil, then wrap with a Towel, then place inside small Cooler. The main reason for FTC is for the meat to maintain its heat and to cook alittle bit more while in FTC. But IMHO it just to keep the meat warm until its time to eat if you get done smoking early. I'm with Nepas I never FTC a butt
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Too late getting to this one. Looks like you are covered. Let me add; WHERE'S THE PIC.  ;D
Mike