New here,Do i have a problem with my new smoker?

Started by leonardzelinski, July 30, 2009, 08:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonardzelinski

I got in on the Cabelas deal and it was delivered the other day.
After unboxing it and cleaning it and then seasoning according to the manual,I smoked a pork Butt.

Late last night it was done and i noticed it looked like paint around the door areas looks to have wrinkled and
come off.At least i think it is paint,Might be a smoke coating?I don't remember if these areas were painted or not.

Tenpoint5

Leonard first Welcome Aboard.
Glad you figured out how to post pics right off the bat. Looking at the picks it appears that you left the top vent closed for the whole smoke. Usually not that much of a skoe coating on the side walls after one or two smokes. The reason I made that observation is it looks like the heat was trying to escape but didnt have an exit place so it made one in the upper corner of your door and left a steam line to show you. I don't think it will hurt anything because it is under the gasket but someone with more knowledge will be along shortly. Just remember to always have your vent open a minimum of 1/2 way.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

leonardzelinski

Thanks for your quick answer,That seems to be the problem.
I left the vent just barely cracked.

I'll crack it more next time,I thought having it open so much would dry it out.
At least the pork butt seems to be fine,I cut off the outside in case the paint
tainted it,The inside is nice and juicy and tasty!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the Forum leonardzelinski!

It is hard to dry out a pork butt.

It looks like the vent too closed symptom.. I did that too when I first got it.

Check out our recipe site: http://www.susanminor.org/

IMHO, the outside of the pork butt is the best part! We call it the "bark"

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

Always leave the vent half to full open and make sure your v-tray is installed correctly.

nepas

leonardzelinski

I would have kept the "Bark" but i was concerned about the paint contaminating it.
Hopefully it is safe to use,Maybe i should have bought the stainless model instead  ::)

smokeitall

You can eat that Canadian paint just not the chinese paint  ;D ;D ;D

Habanero Smoker

I would return the smoker and ask for an exchange. The peeling paint should not have occurred, and will only get worse in time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Just wondering, it looks like you might be using extra wood pucks to push the last one into place while smoking. That will partially burn the one that stays bhind as you can see on your picture of the inside of the smoker. Have you considered any bubba pucks.  :)  Will save you $$$ and pucks in the long run.
Mike

NePaSmoKer

Did you have a fire in there? From the way the paint is bubbled and burnt and the excess splatter on the walls, heavy burning on the slide.

nepas

leonardzelinski

NePaSmoker:No fire that i know of,Just wrinkled and bubbled paint from the hot steam from the vent being closed.
I did smoke 10 hours straight for the butt.

Mike:Gonna get some pucks in a week or two.

Habanero Smoker:I got this shipped to me,Shipping back would be a pain.I'll either use it as is or repaint with high temp bbq paint.

robpiat

I have a bradley that I got about a month ago from Cabelas....I have similar peeling around the vent area and around where the smoke generator links up to the smoker. I suspect the recent batch has poor paint for some reason. Some Chinese guy probably decided that the outside of the smoker would never see 200 degrees etc.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Yikes...I'd call Bradley....customer Care is great....