How to reheat pork butt?

Started by HCAO, August 01, 2009, 03:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCAO

I have two big 7-8 pounders in the oven right now.  It'll probably be ready tonight after 10pm.  I want to eat this tomorrow for lunch.  What is the best way to do this?  I also plan to FTC it for a few hours after it's out of the oven. 

Do i shred it after FTC and then reheat it at lunch?  Or do I just refridgerate it intact and pull it after reheating?  How should it be reheated - microwave, oven, grill? 

Pic of it after 4 hours of apple.

FLBentRider

I would not shred it until time to serve.

After FTC, I would break it down into chunks, and then refrigerate.

To reheat, either nuke it (individual portions) or wrap in foil in a 250F oven for 20 minutes or so.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Up In Smoke

FLB has you pointed in the right direction,
if you are going to "nuke" it make sure you use the power setting.
you can warm it up slowly in the microwave and not overcook it if you use
the lower power setting and lengthen the warm time.
for example i will warm my pulled pork at a power level of 2 for
3 to 5 minutes as opposed to 30 seconds on high....
this helps eliminate cold spots.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

HCAO

Got it..thanks guys.  Low and slow..even in the microwave.  should've known. hah!

mikecorn.1

That look mighty good. Good job on that butt. I like to nuke mine also. What i do is put it in a plate and then cover it with another of the same size that way, you dont have it dry out on you do to no intense heat heating for hitting the meat.
Mike

Smokin Soon

There are several posts on this subject. I will shred and sauce, let it cool down completely and vac seal into portions for the wife and myself. We always have it in the freezer as it keeps a good while. We just put a pinhole in the pouch to vent and nuke it. Wife has claimed from the first cook that the vac seal "sucks the sauce into the meat" as she likes the pouches over fresh out of the smoker.

HCAO

They just finished.  5 hours in the oven at 220F.  They got up to about 200F.  That was alot quicker than I thought, otherwise I would've taken them out sooner.  I don't think I even need to FTC.  They are REALLY tender, almost mushy.  At least on the outside pieces, I didn't cut through it all yet.   

There was alot of juice in the pan.  about 1/2" worth.  I wasn't expecting that.  Is that right?  I only added about 1/4" cup apple juice before I put it in the oven. 

HawkeyeSmokes

A lot of juice is normal. Sounds like it turned out great. Hope you sampled some.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

HCAO

A fist sized piece "accidentally" fell off as I was putting it into foil, so I made a sandwich.  =]  It was really good.

I ended up just F and C, no T.  Didn't think it needed it.  Going to take it out after an hour and cool it down, then cut into smaller chunks for reheating tomorrow.

Habanero Smoker

I do what Somkin Soon does; in that I pull and add vaunted vinegar before storing. That allows the flavors (especially the flavor from the bark) to blend together.

I also do one more step. Prior to pulling I shave off the bark, discard any fat that may be left over. Chop the bark up into fine pieces and then mix it in with the pulled pork.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 02, 2009, 01:52:10 AM

I also do one more step. Prior to pulling I shave off the bark, discard any fat that may be left over. Chop the bark up into fine pieces and then mix it in with the pulled pork.

Funny you should mention this Habs.  I generally shave off the bark, discard any fat, but then simply shred the bark to be mixed after pulling.  I like this idea of chopping it into fine pieces even better.  Don't know why I never thought of doing it myself as much pulled pork as I have done. Thanks for the info.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Wildcat on August 02, 2009, 10:39:23 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 02, 2009, 01:52:10 AM

Funny you should mention this Habs.  I generally shave off the bark, discard any fat, but then simply shred the bark to be mixed after pulling.  I like this idea of chopping it into fine pieces even better.  Don't know why I never thought of doing it myself as much pulled pork as I have done. Thanks for the info.

It works well. I was taking a cooking class, and the chef showed me this tip. If I am pulling more then one butt, I will cut the bark into small chunks and use a processor to chop it further.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

thats a nice looking butt.  ;D
Mike