Biltong adaptor for Bradley Smoker

Started by chris_richmond, August 15, 2009, 11:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_richmond

Quote from: Up In Smoke on August 16, 2009, 03:29:00 PM
Okay i have got to ask....what is the difference between biltong and jerky?
other than the spices?

Jerky is almost totally dried, biltong is cut thicker so is still a bit soft and red in the middle.

mikecorn.1

Good looking stuff there, you got any pics of the final product.
Mike

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mr Walleye on August 16, 2009, 07:39:38 AM
Chris

You will have to keep us posted how this set works out and some finished pictures. Looks great!  ;)

NePas

I was just thinking... I know, scary!  ::) But I was thinking there would be no reason you couldn't use the Cabelas 80L dehydrator for making biltong. The thermostat is adjustable from 50 to 160 degrees and the cabinet is designed to allow hanging the product as well.

Just a thought...

Mike

Yeah like when i do the bacon jerky in the 80L

nepas

chris_richmond

Day 2, coming along nicely.

The temperature is holding at a steady 91 degrees with the 40w light bulb, I have got the bradley thermometer dangling inside between the biltong.

OU812

Looking good c_r

Never herd of Biltong b4, sounds good though

What kind of S hooks are you useing ? They look like plastic

chris_richmond

Quote from: OU812 on August 17, 2009, 10:51:08 AM
What kind of S hooks are you useing ? They look like plastic

They are made from food safe polypropylene and have a sharp point at both ends, I got them from here:
http://www.biltongbox.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=23

They have a forum here: http://www.biltongbox.com/talk/

And for more info check out their home page here: http://www.biltongbox.com/

Cheers Chris

OU812

Thanks Chris

One more recipe im going to have to try it sounds good and something i could do during the week.

What type of or wich cut of meat do you use ?

chris_richmond

I use silverside myself as the better the cut of beef the better the biltong will be.

[quote from www.biltong.com]
Biltong can be made with any cut of meat. The better the cut of meat, the better your biltong will be. Generally speaking, biltong is made with topside or silverside. This is known as London Broil in the USA.

OU812

You had me going with the silver side  ???

London Broil makes sense  :)

You think Venison would work as you say the better cut of meat the better the biltong will be. In my eyes venison is in the top spot

chris_richmond

In my opinion venison makes the best tasting biltong, unfortunately here in the UK it is very expensive to buy with the price at roughly £11 UK ($18) per pound.

OU812

Sweet I have some nice deer rump just looking for something a little different

How about a more refined recipe, something you have made b4

chris_richmond

I will post my fave recipe tomorrow as I am off to the pub now with a mate for a few beers. (my home made beer isnt ready yet, it is still on its second fermentation (but it is 12% alcohol, loverly))

OU812

I totally understand a man has to have his priority's, i wont be able to indulge for another hr and half

Habanero Smoker

The more I look at your setup the more I like it. I was thinking of adding a dimmer switch; this would make an excellent heating element for fermenting sausage in the Bradley, or use a higher wattage bulb and hook it up to your PID.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ExpatCanadian

Definately going to try this....  it's actually something I've been meaning to tackle for years, I bought a great book in South Africa a few years back on making Biltong, Droewors and Boerwors.  I was with a South African girl for 7 years, and about the only thing I miss is all the great South African food  :D It's much more common to find this stuff over here in the UK, loads of South African shops etc.  If any of you over in North America get a chance to sample some authentic Boerwors on the grill, I can guarantee you won't regret it....!