Biltong adaptor for Bradley Smoker

Started by chris_richmond, August 15, 2009, 11:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Quote from: chris_richmond on August 17, 2009, 01:10:45 PM
I will post my fave recipe tomorrow as I am off to the pub now with a mate for a few beers. (my home made beer isnt ready yet, it is still on its second fermentation (but it is 12% alcohol, loverly))

Chris you have time to post your fave recipe?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on August 19, 2009, 09:02:23 AM
Quote from: chris_richmond on August 17, 2009, 01:10:45 PM
I will post my fave recipe tomorrow as I am off to the pub now with a mate for a few beers. (my home made beer isnt ready yet, it is still on its second fermentation (but it is 12% alcohol, loverly))

Chris you have time to post your fave recipe?

Here is one for ya. Its one of many i use.

Main Ingredients

10lbs Top Sirloin,
Apple Cider Vinegar
Worcestshire sauce.

Curing dry spices
2 Cups of brown sugar (Well broken up)
2 Cups of Salt (Kosher)
4 Teaspoons of Baking Soda
1/2 of the scorched coriander (Husks and all)

Recipe:

1. Scorch the coriander. Heat a large pan to a medium heat and add 1 1/2 cups of coriander. Stir and mash the seeds.  Remove seeds from pan and crack the seeds - place them inside a towel and then roll over with a rolling pin. Or use a mortar/pestle

2. Use a 10 pound piece of Top Sirloin Butt. Wash meat and Remove excess fat, sinew and connective material

3. Cut the meat into 1/2 inch to an inch strips.

4. Spray the meat with vinegar. Use a spray bottle. Add 2cups viengar and one teaspoon worcestshire sauce.

5. Prepare the curing mix made up of sugar, salt, baking soda and scorched coriander.

5. Roll the meat into the curing dry spice mix. Make sure all areas are generously covered in the curing spices.

6. Place the meat in a colander and put the colander inside a large bowl so that the blood can escape and seep into the below beneath.

7. Cover and put in the fridge for 6 hours. Occasiaonaly emptying the large bowl which will fill with drained blood.

8. Remove from fridge and wash the cure mix of thourugly in a 50/50 Vinegar and Hot water mix. Finally quickly rinse the meat under a running hot tap.

9. Spray the meat gain with the vinegar/worcetshire sace mix and then lightly dry the meat off by patting the pieces with kithen towel.

10. Hang the meat in the Biltong Box or homemade Bradley adaptor. Use pieces of string or metal S hooks pierce a small hole at the end of each piece of meat.  Hang 3 - 7 days depending on how wet/dry you like your biltong.

Bradley adaptor made by forum member chris_richmond.

nepas

chris_richmond

2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablesoons medium ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground sea salt
1 tablespoon chilli powder ( I make my own from home grown and dried chillis)
1/2 cup red wine vineger
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

Mix all the ingredients except the vinegar, slice the beef into strips about 1 inch by 1/2 square place in a glass or plastic dish and sprinkle on mixed ingredients and mix well so the meat is evenly coated.
Put container in refridgerator for 2 hours, after two hours remove from refridgerator and add red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar and mix meat well with vinegar and put back in refridgerator for 24 hours mix the meat a few times over the 24 hour period.
Remove from refridgerator and hang stips in drying cabinet until desired dryness has been achieved.

When ready to eat you can preserve for a few months by wrapping in plastic bags or cling wrap then freezing, it should keep in the refridgerator for a couple of weeks although mine has usually been eaten withing a few days.

Cheers Chris

chris_richmond

I have an update, I had to throw all my biltong away  :'( :'( :'(
Its my own fault I made some sausages and put them on a wire tray and put them above the biltong to dry. unfortunately this reduced the airflow in the cabinet too much and the biltong develpoed mould so I chucked it away.
I have now started again and have also upgraded to a 60w bulb to speed up drying time as I have now run out of biltong.

So the moral of the story is DONT put a full tray of meat above the biltong as the cabinet cant get rid of the excess moisture quick enough because it resticts the flow of air through the cabinet.
I have to say I made this mistake as I was in too much of a rush to make some snack sticks at the same time as some biltong in a cabinet that is too small to do both at the same time. I think I need to build something outdoors a bit (or a lot) bigger, I quite fancy something along the lines of what nepas is building but dont have that much room.

Cheers Chris

OU812

Chris, what a bummer having to through it all away  :(

In the recipe you posted today, how much meat would that work for?

chris_richmond

I used that recipe on about 4 pounds of beef.

OU812

Thanks Chris

Hope the next batch turns out the way you like it

chris_richmond

OU812

Looks good Chris

I would of thunk that all the coriander would have washed off with the 24 hr bath in the vinegar

chris_richmond

The reason it doesnt is because the meat soaks up most of the vinegar which gives it a great flavour especially if you use balsamic.

OU812

Gotcha

Now the picture in my head is getting clearer

chris_richmond

I forgot to add that I dont cover the meat while it is marinating in the refridgerator.

OU812

Quote from: chris_richmond on August 21, 2009, 10:17:05 AM
I forgot to add that I dont cover the meat while it is marinating in the refridgerator.

Thanks

The more details the better

FLBentRider

If I want to dry this in my dehydrator, what temp would I set it to ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

chris_richmond

The bradley with the light bulb modstayed at 95, but as I dont use a dehydrator I am not sure what temp but I am sure Nepas will tell you.