Biltong adaptor for Bradley Smoker

Started by chris_richmond, August 15, 2009, 11:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_richmond

Hi All

If you have a bradley smoker and want to use it to make biltong then you can by making this little add on.
I have found that even on its lowest setting the built in heater is still a little bit too warm.

Once you have made it prepare your meat and then once marinated put it in your bradley smoker, remove the smoker attachment and put on this piece of kit and plug it in close door and away you go with the top vent about half open biltong ready in 3 to 4 days depending on how thick you cut the strips of meat.

Items needed:
1 x Small piece of wood (I used 9mm ply)
1 x power lead (with plug)
1 x light fitting
1 x 40w bulb
2 x small strips of plastic (stapled on these grip the lugs on the side of the bradley cabinet)

Cheers Chris

Mr Walleye

Looks like an awesome little mod Chris!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

It's kinda like an "easy bake oven" mod!

;D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

chris_richmond

Build quality isnt upto much as you can see from the photos but then it took less than five minutes to build and it does work well, I have some chilli and garlic biltong marinating in the fridge at the moment.

pensrock

can you tell me what biltong is?  ???

chris_richmond

It is a bit like jerky but the cuts of meat are thicker and not fully dried out.
You will find more info on this site. http://www.biltongbox.com/

Cheers Chris

mikecorn.1

thanks for that c_r , was wondering myself, will go to the website now.
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Hi Chris;

Welcome to the forum.

Nice Bradley innovation.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chris_richmond

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 15, 2009, 03:01:36 PM
Nice Bradley innovation.

Yeah I thought so as it saved making a biltong box, but I am surprised no one else has thought of doing this or if they have I am surprised they havent shared the information.

I love jerky which the bradley does well but I personally love biltong even more hence the adaptation.

Cheers Chris

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: chris_richmond on August 15, 2009, 03:36:42 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 15, 2009, 03:01:36 PM
Nice Bradley innovation.

Yeah I thought so as it saved making a biltong box, but I am surprised no one else has thought of doing this or if they have I am surprised they havent shared the information.

I love jerky which the bradley does well but I personally love biltong even more hence the adaptation.

Cheers Chris

Well i wouldnt say nobody has thought of it yet. I just do it in a bigger way  ;D  Go through some of my posts.

nepas

chris_richmond

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 15, 2009, 06:38:04 PM

Well i wouldnt say nobody has thought of it yet. I just do it in a bigger way  ;D  Go through some of my posts.
nepas
I have seen your posts and your system looks great, what I meant though was making an add on for the bradley cabinet.

I like the look of the tall smokehouse you are building, are you going to use your propane badley on it?
Also whats the recipe for your snack sticks they look really tasty.

Cheers Chris

chris_richmond

Marinated 24 hours and now in bradley smoker cabinet with biltong adaptor.
Day 1

Second picture shows lamp at bottom with biltong above and bacon jerky above.

Mr Walleye

Chris

You will have to keep us posted how this set works out and some finished pictures. Looks great!  ;)

NePas

I was just thinking... I know, scary!  ::) But I was thinking there would be no reason you couldn't use the Cabelas 80L dehydrator for making biltong. The thermostat is adjustable from 50 to 160 degrees and the cabinet is designed to allow hanging the product as well.

Just a thought...

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Up In Smoke

Okay i have got to ask....what is the difference between biltong and jerky?
other than the spices?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.