• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Grilled Zucchini

Started by Caribou, August 16, 2009, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Hi Y'all!
I am over run with zucchini this summer!
Our favorite way to cook zucchini is on the grill.

Grilled Zucchini
Slice the zucchini (or any other summer squash) lengthwise 1/4" thick.
Brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt n pepper or any other seasoning you like.
I love to use Penzey's Greek Seasoning.  I bet Emeril's Essence or Old Bay would work well, too.
Place the slices on a HOT grill.  Turn after good grill marks form and repeat on the other side.
Keep the lid on the grill open because these are going to cook fast.
I have a 3-burner gas grill and it takes about 3 minutes on each side on it going full heat.

Enjoy!
Carolyn

Caneyscud

Carolyn, I think I'm the only one on this planet that cannot grow zucchini - and I would really like to!  Seems as if I have some kind of extreme mega squash vine borer infestation!  No matter what I do, they get hold of my plants.  Love zucchini in almost all ways, including grilling, but usually use the grilled zucchini in other dishes.  Slice some up, put in casserole and add canned diced tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper and stick in microwave until the zucchini is done.   Often I also add cayenne or Louisiana hot sauce.  Or dice it and add it to cooking hamburger with some garlic, diced onion and green pepper.  When they are done, stir in some cream cheese and 3 or 4 tablespoons butter or margarine until melted.  Top with shredded parmesan cheese and cheddar and stick in oven on broil to melt the cheese
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

HawkeyeSmokes

Thanks for the idea Carolyn. Will be trying that one out real soon!
HawkeyeSmokes

deb415611

Thanks Carolyn, I'm going to do this for dinner tonight.

One thing I like to use zucchini for is pizza.  I slice it thin and do a veggie pizza.  Not always the same veggies but I sometimes use zucchini, yellow squash, thin sliced carrots, red & green pepper, onions, black olives etc.   This thread has a pic of a veggie one with zucchini & yellow squash  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8147.0     It would be good with a white pizza w ricotta too. 

Caribou

Quote from: deb415611 on August 17, 2009, 03:11:22 AM
Thanks Carolyn, I'm going to do this for dinner tonight.

One thing I like to use zucchini for is pizza.  I slice it thin and do a veggie pizza.  Not always the same veggies but I sometimes use zucchini, yellow squash, thin sliced carrots, red & green pepper, onions, black olives etc.   This thread has a pic of a veggie one with zucchini & yellow squash  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8147.0     It would be good with a white pizza w ricotta too. 
Oooo Deb that sounds good, I'll have to try it too!
Thanks!!
Carolyn

seemore

Thanks, Caribou!
I love zucchini, and I am starting to get a LOT of it from friends and neighbors.
This recipe is a must.

Caribou

Thanks!
I'm in the same boat, tons of zucchini!
I even incorporated grilled zucchini in my enchilada recipe entry for the Iron Chef Bradley III :D
Carolyn

seemore

I grilled chicken breasts tonight for dinner - with an awesome red curry paste - and I sliced up some zucchini and dressed it with oil and salt/pepper, and grilled it!

classicrockgriller

I have read post where people have said that smokin Zuchini on a bradley really doesn't work well. Kinda bummed me out cause I haved grilled Zucchini kinda like all my life. I will pray on this and come up with a solution, I know I can, its just physics. Right? Mind over matter....or something like that. I know the answer.......

Caribou

I could see where slow and low wouldn't work.  Zucchini is like a sponge and probably absorbs a lot of smoke, too.
Maybe you could put some wood chips on the grill to get a little smoke flavor.
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

Quote from: classicrockgriller on August 25, 2009, 09:58:42 PM
I have read post where people have said that smokin Zuchini on a bradley really doesn't work well. Kinda bummed me out cause I haved grilled Zucchini kinda like all my life. I will pray on this and come up with a solution, I know I can, its just physics. Right? Mind over matter....or something like that. I know the answer.......

The ones I smoked for the ICB III turned out awesome. I do have to add that I haven't tried them any other way in the smoker.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caribou

Yeah, I could see your smoking method working...beautifully.
I'm just thinking of them being sliced only 1/4" thick probably turning out a little limp because of their water content.
But I'm just guessing at this,
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Caribou on August 26, 2009, 05:13:25 PM
Yeah, I could see your smoking method working...beautifully.
Carolyn
Thanks  Carolyn. You have to give that a try since you have all the ingredients. One suggestion double everything!!! Four of them just isn't enough.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caribou

I think I will 10.5!
I have so many zucchini's I'm always looking for some way new to cook them.
Thanks,
Carolyn