HEY PENS!! NEED PEPPER HELP!

Started by KyNola, August 18, 2009, 09:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Pens, I have been given a bunch of peppers that were supposed to be jalapenos but they don't look like the jalapeno I am used to seeing in the store.  Some are red, some are green.  The green color is not as dark and vivid as a jap.  They don't have the typical bullet slick shape.  They are a little longer than most japs I have seen and they have some wrinkling to them and not quite as plump.  Is it possible they are still japs but perhaps a different variety?  If not, any guesses on what they might be?  I was wanting to do a bunch of ABTs but I don't want to blow anyone's head off with them.

Thanks for any insight you may have as I know you are the pepper guru of the forum.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Larry,
Just a guess here but could they be Serrano Peppers?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Was what i was thinking, you got a pic of em.
Mike

KyNola

Thanks guys.  I have no idea really.  Will try to post a pic sometime.  Would probably be easier for you to ID rather than my weak description.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Just MAN UP and take a bite out of one!!!! That's what Pens would do! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Have Milk and bread near by if you do just in case!

I am laughing

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Without seeing a pic, I vote for serrano also.  Have found them in cans marked pickled jalapenos before - so it is not unusual. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

Thanks for your support Chris!! ;)

Went and looked at some images of serranos online.  I'm not sure these are serranos either.  Some renegade type of pepper I guess.  Will try to get a pic posted soon.

KyNola

KyNola

OK guys, here's the pic and I DID go home and eat one.  Has some nice heat to it but not blow the top of your head off.  So what do you think?

By the way, they are approximately 3 1/2 inches long.

KyNola

justpete

I'm no expert but they look like Serranos to me.

Peter

pensrock

Serranos do not get that big around, that I have seen anyway, you sure they are not fresh Pepperoncini?

Thats what they look like to me, if you ate one and they are not too hot, then stuff them babies, they will lose some heat after coring out and stuffing. most of the heat is in the ribbed part that holds the seeds not the seeds like everyone thinks. search for Pepperoncini and look at a few pics, I really think that is what you have there.
I'll take six stuffed with cheese please,
pens

pensrock

Caribou

I'm no pepperologist but they look like Anaheim peppers to me.
Carolyn

squirtthecat

I just put 5 lbs of an awesome locally made (cooked + frozen) Italian Beef in the pressure cooker for a quick thaw...  On the bottom, holding the frozen mass away from the heat, is a jar of Pepperoncini.

Looks exactly like what you have (and pensrock has pictured).

Nice heat, but not over the top.

If you don't like them...  Send them my way!   I'll pay shipping!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on August 18, 2009, 10:53:40 AM
OK guys, here's the pic and I DID go home and eat one. 
KyNola

That a boy Larry. Stuff em up good adn wrap them in bacon and send a batch my way or deliver them yourself and I will get some ribs going maybe make some more sausages. I know we can find something cold to drink.

KyNola

Everyone,
Thank you and Pens, ironically I had sent my wife an email today and said if I didn't think I was crazy I would say those are pepperoncinis like the ones we order on the side with our pizza and as Squirt says, all over an italian roast beef sandwich.  I appreciate everyone offering to take them off my hands but those boys are getting stuffed, bacon wrapped and smoked.

There could be pics so stay tuned!

Thanks again everyone.  Now the search continues for fresh jalapenos.  I have a guy who is supposed to bring me a bunch out of his garden too!

KyNola