• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Naked pork butts

Started by mschafer, August 22, 2009, 04:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mschafer

a friend of my wife's ( you know, that one that annoys the stuffing out of you ) has asked  me if I would smoke a couple pork butts for her to make pulled pork for a party. She said she would be mixing it with sauce Etc.
My question is what is the least you have ever done as far as rubs or slathers. Does anyone Just cook'em naked

FLBentRider

We were just discussing this in another thread.

I would probably do at least salt and pepper.

Most rubs will compliment a good sauce anyway.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

Same here, at least salt and peppa to bring out the natural flavor of the butt.
Mike

Tenpoint5

Quote from: mschafer on August 22, 2009, 04:20:26 AM
a friend of my wife's ( you know, that one that annoys the stuffing out of you ) has asked  me if I would smoke a couple pork butts for her to make pulled pork for a party. She said she would be mixing it with sauce Etc.
My question is what is the least you have ever done as far as rubs or slathers. Does anyone Just cook'em naked

If she is going to cover everything with sauce, WHICH IS JUST WRONG, then make the butts how you like and give it to her already pulled. I'm looking at it this way. It's your BUTT on the line. both literally and figuratively. The rub that you put on will only add flavor to the meat. Then tell her that BBQ is ment to have the sauce served ON THE SIDE. Just my thoughts.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mschafer

When I heard the sauce part I was thinking why bother with putting in the extra time and $$. Salt and pepper was my thought as well.
Thanks.. I'll check for the other thread I should have done a search first

mikecorn.1

Quote from: mschafer on August 22, 2009, 07:35:42 AM
When I heard the sauce part I was thinking why bother with putting in the extra time and $$. Salt and pepper was my thought as well.

As Crocodille Dundee would say "No worries mate" :)  Gives us something to do. Or like me 2 things to do, I am at work today.  ;D  8)
Mike

FLBentRider

Depending on the sauce, you might just put them in the oven...

:o
;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mschafer

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 22, 2009, 08:10:45 AM

;D
But then I would miss out on the smell of dem butts smoken and the gratuitous outside beverage time plus I was going to do some ABT's  ;)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: mschafer on August 22, 2009, 08:35:59 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on August 22, 2009, 08:10:45 AM

;D
But then I would miss out on the smell of dem butts smoken and the gratuitous outside beverage time plus I was going to do some ABT's  ;)
A Man after my own Heart He has Priorities!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Salt is necessary, black pepper is almost a necessity.  Cayenne powder or some other powdered pepper and Garlic powder is really nice. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Smokin Soon

Just my opinion, a butt needs a ton of spices to be absorbed in an overnight plastic wrap to be a winner. For me it's just plain old pork without it and might as well be a boring crock pot cook.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: mschafer on August 22, 2009, 07:35:42 AM

Like any ingredient sauce is a flavor enhancer if used right. I always season my butts well the add a vaunted vinegar sauce. You want to augment but not over power the other flavors.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mschafer

I just got done pulling these butts, the meat  is fine but not anything I would make again. Your right it is crock pot meat with a good crust. Although the beverage consumption was about the same even the smoke seemed to be missing something. The friend is here to pick up the meat and is just happy as hell.  I got major bownie  points from the wife ;D  for my troubles so all's well that ends well.
Thanks for the help gents.
MS

GolfNut

Well, glad they were happy, but I'd guess you are not, and it'll probably always be in your smoking memory banks too.

My thought is why turn out anything less than your absolute best. If they want to F it up later on, then that's their problem, at least it left your hands in excellent taste and condition.

If it's worth my time to smoke/cook/build,  whatever, then it's worth it to ME to do it up properly. Nothing leaves my kitchen or woodworking shop that I would not be fully comfortable with be it as a favor to a friend or to a dirty rotten inlaw!
"Yes we serve Vegetarians, just tell us how you'd like them cooked!"~Chef

mschafer

Over the past 18 months I've done about 15 pork butts this was an opportunity to try to establish a base line. How does one know what is really necessary until you try it. The result wasn't bad just not as good as I expected. I  have a career where people vote with there feet if  my product doesn't measure up they will go somewhere else. I understand quality, but experimentation  is the catalyst of improvement. I choose to take the knowledge of others and test it not just accept it. I tell my kids, "followers are easy to find just look behind you"
MS.