Hunting and Fishing Pics---Post them here!

Started by Caribou, August 28, 2009, 05:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

Nice looking buck, looks like he was a fighter, broke off a couple of points there. 125lbs is one heck of a bag of meat in my parts, I'm lucky to get 100lbs field dressed.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

squirtthecat

They tracked it for about a mile after it was hit.  Had to drag it through a creek and some wet areas before they could get a Gator close enough to haul it back to the truck.  He said it was brutal, but worth it.

squirtthecat

Here is the head - on the way to the taxidermist..

KevinG

I decided to take my nephew out deer hunting with me this year. It was his first time going, so he was pretty excited. It's was a pretty rough hunt, we saw very few deer, and the temperature swings were far greater than we expected, low 30's to 90's. I did however run into a well known (out here) deer hunting guide and his son. We chatted for a while and he agreed that it was pretty tough this year. A lot of hunters and very few shots. He said he was leaving, I told him that usually after the weekend everyone leaves. He said he'd probably be back later in the week.

I managed to find a few bucks and sent my nephew after them. The first one he didn't shoot because he wasn't sure he heard me right, the second one he forgot about the safety on the gun and that one got away. We were out there 6 days and I think his attitude changed just a little.

As it happens, my nephews birthday was Wednesday the 10th, he just turned 17. I asked him while we were still out there where he wanted to go. I told him it was his hunt and he should do what he wants to get a buck and not listen to me. He said he wanted to go to a watering hole where we saw a couple of deer earlier in the week. I stayed with the truck. A few minutes later, here drives up the guide and his son. We start chatting it up again, and I tell him my nephew is out by the tank. He happened to notice my GPS and we started talking about it, he was pretty impressed and said he's probably going to get one. He said he was going to check some things out up the same road my nephew went on.

After a while, I get this strange call on the radio: "Hey you, the guy with the white truck, I don't remember your name, but you brought your nephew out hunting with you." I guess he noticed what radio channel I was on. I responded and he said he's got this buck that he and his son don't want to shoot because he's not big enough, and wants to know if we want it. I told him sure, we'll go check it out. I get my nephew to meet us there. When we both get there, he tells me that the buck is about 400 yards away. I told my nephew to take my gun, since he was only shooting a 243 without a scope, and I had a 30.06 with a good scope. The guide has us sneak up this mountain to get within the 400 yard range. He points the buck out, and I can't see it in my binoculars, he says here look in mine (Swarovski). Wow, it stood out like a sore thumb. He tells my nephew to get ready. He asked me how my gun shot. I told him it's dead on at 200 yards, and a little to the right at 300. He says wait a minute, here use this gun ($6000 gun with a $2000 scope & high dollar bullets). My nephew is just freaking out. I told them maybe he should get a little closer because he's never shot that far, I've only had him shoot to 300 yards. They were both saying, no it's fine he'll get it. I talked them into getting a little closer, but it was still about 375. He takes the first shot and misses, the deer just stands there, another shot, still just stands there. We finally get him to calm down, and he takes a 3rd shot and hits him. The deer staggers and goes down, but then gets up and walks over to a tree and sits down. He was still alive. The guide tells me to climb the mountain with my gun and get above him, then scoot over the top of him and work my way down. He said if he runs down, my nephew will get him, and if he runs up, I should take him. After a long climb (and me thirsty as all get go (failure to bring my pack with water), I get within 10 yards. The buck stands up, the guide tell me to shoot him and I got him. He went straight down. My nephew then had the fun chore of cleaning and carrying the deer back down to the truck.

We get to the truck and took some photos.

As you can see, his attitude changed for the better. He was happy as all heck getting a deer on his birthday. I couldn't thank the guides enough. I was so thrilled that they took the time out of their hunt to help us out, and he told me that this was the first year he and his son have been out in years. I felt so bad, but he said not to worry, it's what his son wanted to do. I thanked him again.

He then wasn't too thrilled with the next chore, but took it in stride.

What a memorable trip for my nephew. I'm sure he will remember this for the rest of his life. He's going to get it mounted. It only green scored about 75, but he's happy as all heck with it.

classicrockgriller

I see you are teaching your nephew what you know!

Shoot the Hell out of them! ;D

Congrats on a Fun Time teaching younger ones.

KevinG

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 12, 2010, 06:20:15 PM
I see you are teaching your nephew what you know!

Shoot the Hell out of them! ;D

Congrats on a Fun Time teaching younger ones.

;D It must be genetics.

Tenpoint5

That boy must be a d*mn good shot. I don't think I could see that deer at 375 yards let alone shoot one. Good Job Uncle Kevin
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

What a great birthday story and what luck to running into and getting the help of a guide. Congrats!

Sailor

Kevin.....he will remember this day for as long as he lives.  I still remember my first deer when my Uncle took me out.  That was over 40 years ago.  My oh my I can still see the entire day and evening in my minds eye.  Memories is something that can never be taken from us.  Unless we kill our brain cells with ummmm I forget.  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

KyNola

What a great day for your nephew and you.  I used to hunt quite a bit and had an older brother who taught me.  I'll never forget the day he handed me my first shotgun at Christmas.  Just an old used 20 gauge but it meant a lot to me.  I'm sure you mean a great deal to your nephew.  Good on you Kevin, good on you.

OU812

Taby got here first deers, ever. Dropped them where they stood. Thats my gril.

She even gutted them her self, well all but the old man had to split the chest.

She got baoth of em with in 20 min.
Now it dont get any better than that!

Up In Smoke

Congrats on the double!!! just plain EXCELLENT.
Looks like dad can sit back and relax now that the freezer is fillin' up.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

pensrock

jiggerjams

KevinG