• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

What's smoking Labor Day Weekend?

Started by Caneyscud, August 31, 2009, 07:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

After being cut back at work and taking a 50% pay cut, after enduring pain, tests, MRI's, and PT for my neck (and paying for the bills), after replacing the water heater two weeks ago, after fixing the rental car we had in Louisville last week, after getting a ticket 2 weeks ago for a burned out left brake light I had no idea was out, after paying for some expensive birthday gifts for the wife (well I liked doing that), after feeding the BIL and his wife BBQ (they wanted it for supper and told me right after lunch - had to do cheater butt and baby backs), missing competing in the Music City BBQ contest because they were here visiting, after having to replace the A/C (gas pack) at the house after it quit working late last week, and after almost losing two friends to freak illnesses (????) within the last month, I'm ready - really, really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY ready for the 2009 summer from hell to be over.  Labor day is the official end to summer isn't it!   Ready to just hibernate and lick my wounds and praise God for what he has put in front of me.   And how much better to do that than to cook.  I've got about 100 kids to cook for from Thurs night to Sunday night.  I can't wait - I do it twice a year and really look forward to it.  Particularly looking forward to the 8 to 10 brisket to smoke.  Probably only need 6 to feed everyone, but a couple have asked for one each to take home, and I want one for the house also.  My Friday night is gonna be smelling good in the neighborhood.  What about youse guys - whatcha got planned for Labor Day?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

pensrock

I won't be smoking, I have two club picnics to attend and a Polish festival at a local church.
VFW picnic Sat. - Eagles picnic Sun. - Polish food all weekend.

Tenpoint5

I have a ind to do some bacon if I remember to get it out of the freezer today when I wake up. Will probably do a Pork loin and some ABT's Saturday. Sunday I have been inform I will be eating Pizza at Chucky Cheese Middle Son is turns 8. Would really like to sneak out and get some Tree Rats and try smoking a couple of them up. Season opens Saturday.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

We'll be camping, no BPS yet, so any smoking will be re-heated...

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

Saturday will the kid's choice.  He leaves for college on Sunday :(  I'll feed him whatever he wants till then.  

I'm thinking it will probably be baby back ribs and/or ribeye steak.  I'll probably do some ABTs for him too.

Caney - sorry to hear you have such a crappy summer.  Enjoy cooking this weekend.

BigJohnT

Some jerky for sure. Dunno what else but I'm sure the wife will have something in mind. She really likes my smoker, I think it is because when I cook she don't have to  ;D

John

OU812

I was thinking some boneless skinless turkey breast (recipe seemore posted) and some pheasants wrapped in the turkey skin. A brisket if the price is right and a coworker just asked if i could smoke a butt for her.

squirtthecat

MIL is coming over to visit our 2 new kittens and has requested brisket and pulled pork.   Heck, I might do those, a small rack of ribs and a turkey breast all at once. (well, sort of)  Vacusealed leftovers for everyone!

KyNola

RIBS!!! Went to my nearby Kroger store hoping they might have St. Louis cut ribs which occasionally they do.  While I was disappointed that they did not have the cut of rib I wanted, I was most happy to see the biggest baby back rib slabs I have ever seen.  Every slab was was over 4 pounds each and $2.99 per pound.  Not a bad price in my area.  4 racks of those boys came home with me.  Will be rubbing those down and into the smoker with HICKORY smoke.  Will sauce them with Ice's sauce.

I'm thinking finger licking good.
KyNola

York

That is one heck of a summer.

I'll smoke some bacon wrapped chicken breasts. I also plan on some cornish game hens. I wanted to some ribs or a brisket, however my better half informed I was taking her out of town. There is alsways next weekend for more smoking.

tsquared

Caney--sorry to hear your summer was so bad. If it's any consolation, we have been doing an addition/reno to our house and I have been working so hard I haven't smoked a darn thing all summer. We have been cleaning up drywall dust off everything for the past week--I'm thoroughly sick of vacuuming! We should be done in about a month's time and then it will be time to dust off the Bradley and give 'er. Maybe with your weather getting a little cooler in the fall, the fishing will come on for you. I have got a mess of salmon in the freezer waiting for the bradley to be unveiled in a few weeks.
Cheers,
T2

car54

Caney,

I could understand why you want the summer to end and hopefully things will get better. My summer has not been the best either. I'll be praying for you.

On Friday I am having a molar pulled and I might not be eating solids. It is my grandsons birthday and I will be making him his favorite "ribs".

Have a good one, Brad

deb415611

Quote from: KyNola on August 31, 2009, 06:52:18 PM
.  Will sauce them with Ice's sauce.

KyNola

I figured this weekend was a good occasion to bring out the Iceman Sauce ;D

mikecorn.1

Probably nothing  :'( . Might have to go to work.
Mike

oakville smoker

I think the smoker will be working overtime this weekend, well it pretty much works overtime every weekend

I have a craving for some pulled pork.  I am going to have to find a place to buy butts around here which is always a challenge.  I have a huge pork loin  that was going to become back bacon except that I am really having trouble getting the cure.  So I think it will become a stuffed loin.  I have been threatening to smoke some steaks and I think this will be the weekend.

Apparently I created the best back ribs ever consumed in the history of the earth last weekend, so I will be challenged to exceed those expectations.  Even smoked some garlic and onions and corn while I was at it.

Enjoy all.  Who knows, I might even post some pics when this is all done !  Np promises though, only threats
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?