Irish Potato Candy.

Started by rdevous, September 01, 2009, 10:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdevous

Has anyone ever heard of Irish Potato Candy?  I was the Event Manager for a wedding reception at the K of C Hall I belong to and they had two dishes of them sitting on the cake table.  Every time I had to go past them I palmed one until I got back in the kitchen.  You can not EAT JUST ONE!!!  I logged on the Internet as son as I got home and Googled "Irish Potato Candy."  There were several different (duh!!!) recipes.  I cut and pasted the one they used to my recipe file in WORD.

Irish Potato Candy

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 cups confectioner's sugar
2 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 tbsp ground cinnamon

Preparations

In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth
Add the vanilla extract and confectioner's sugar; beat until smooth.
Using your hands if necessary, mix in the coconut.
Roll into balls about the size of a small almond and form a "potato."
Roll in the cinnamon.
Place onto a cookie sheet and chill to set.
If desired, roll potatoes in cinnamon again for darker color.

You WILL want to double this recipe.....and hide half.......use the Sargent Shultz's Defense....."Hogan...I know nothing.......nothing!!!"

I bet these would be good with a little cayenne pepper in the cinnamon......Hmmmmm.... ::)

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

mikecorn.1

Mike

pensrock

I remember my dad talking about potato candy, but it was not like that recipe. This actually had potatoes and powdered sugar in but he really could not remember what all was in it. I have never had any. His parents came here from Lithuania, but that does not mean the original recipe came over with them.
Might be something worth looking up someday. Sounds interesting. When I seen your post it reminded me of that and thought it may be the same.

dbrown1

Oh man instant diabetes....Sign me up gonna try and make these this weekend !! Thanks for the post

pensrock

My grandpa, my dad and myself all had/have diabetes (grandpa had passed away many years ago). And NO its not caused by potato candy.  :)
It does sound very sweet though, I probably could not stand to eat more than one.

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

rdevous

Quote from: dbrown1 on September 01, 2009, 01:02:42 PM
Oh man instant diabetes....Sign me up gonna try and make these this weekend !! Thanks for the post

Pen...........There is a recipe that uses real potatoes I found when I Googled it.  I chose this recipe because it was the one or close to the one, the girl at the reception used.

Dbrown1..............I have type II diabetes............so I only had a few...............But they are GOOD!!!

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

HCT

Nice recipe. I'll use this to take the place of my Little Debbies. :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

dbrown1

They sound good.. I am definately trying those !!  ;D