• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Picture of my first Canadian Bacon

Started by bekhardt, September 02, 2009, 11:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bekhardt

I figured it was time to for me to post somewhere other than my introduction page now that I've been smoking for a few weeks.  Here is a picture of my first canadian bacon following the dry rub recipe in the recipe forum.   This is right out of the smoker.  I just stuck it in the refrigerator for its two more days of refrigeration. 

I trimmed it really lean.  We'll see how that goes.  Sadly, a week after I got my smoker my doctor said I had to lose weight.  I've been trying to find some leaner things to smoke.  Did some chicken breasts and liked them really well - though they were much better the next day.  I picked up a salmon from Costco and I'm going to read up on how to smoke that. 

If any of y'all here have advice on leaner things I can smoke, I'd love to have some more ideas.

FLBentRider

Nice shot of the CB!

I like the way the cut the DOF short. It really makes the bacon "pop" off the page.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Ain't that just Perty as hell!! I wish it would "POP' off the page and right into my fridge.

Bekhardt,
If you want to loose some weight. Stop drinking SODA POP no diet crap no regular pop just NO POP. I did that one month ago other than when I'm having a mixer and even then its just for color anyhow. I've lost 7 pounds in a month. and the only thing I changed was not drinking pop. I drink the bottled water often refilled with tap water at work and add the Crystal Light Lemon Iced Tea packet in there. Hope that helps.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

I stick with Baked Lays and Miller Lite..     In the smoker?     Buttermilk brined turkey breast roasts.

Oh, and turkey bacon wrapped turkey meat balls..

Someone here came up with a good name for them. 'Strutters'.

mikecorn.1

that looks mighty nice. great color, bet its goood.
Mike

muzzletim

I wonder why you guys can see the picture and I can"t.. ???
Tim

BigJohnT

That CB looks good. Nice job.

To loose weight you simply have to eat less than you burn. I've slowly altered my eating habits to slowly loose weight. I've lost 1/2 of the 50 pounds I need to loose and feel 150% better. I eat 200 calorie breakfast and nothing until dinner unless it is a special occasion or a friend comes to visit. I drink lots of water all day. I did not start that way but slowly worked up to it. That way I didn't miss something. I just kept trimming down how much I eat until I started a slow reversal of the process that put it on me in the first place. Once I focused on the process of loosing weight and checked it every day at the same time (in the morning in my birthday suit) I started to get a feel for what I was eating and how it affected my gravitational attraction to the center of the earth. The first thing is to make your mind up to get to a target weight and stick too it. All the gimmicks are just that gimmicks.

I don't have good luck I have to make my own.

John

bekhardt

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 02, 2009, 12:06:53 PM

I stick with Baked Lays and Miller Lite..     In the smoker?     Buttermilk brined turkey breast roasts.

Oh, and turkey bacon wrapped turkey meat balls..

Someone here came up with a good name for them. 'Strutters'.

Okay, I give.  Where can I find a recipe for the buttermilk Brining?  I haven't checked for the turkey meatballs.  are they on the recipe site?

squirtthecat

Quote from: bekhardt on September 03, 2009, 12:46:54 PM
Okay, I give.  Where can I find a recipe for the buttermilk Brining?  I haven't checked for the turkey meatballs.  are they on the recipe site?

I'll find the link to the buttermilk brine post..

For the Strutters, it is just turkey bacon wrapped around partially thawed (precooked) turkey meatballs. Secure w/ toothpick.  Maybe sprinkle some rub on them.  2 total hours of smoke at 220-ish.   After the first 90 minutes, brush with some BBQ sauce and put them back in for the final 30 to get the sauce to 'set'.

Good stuff.

If I make MOINKS (real bacon wrapped around real meatballs) as well for a party, I use colored toothpicks for the turkey ones.

squirtthecat

Here is the post for the Buttermilk Brine.  This one was on Turkey legs, but I use it on chicken wings, whole turkey breast roasts, etc.  Might do it on boneless skinless chicken breasts next.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?;topic=11085.0

OU812

Nice looking CB

As 10.5 said quit the pop

My dad had to loose some major weight and all he did was quit the pop and bread and started loosing with in the first couple weeks