Brand new to smoking-Need help!!!

Started by Huntnfreak, September 19, 2009, 08:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huntnfreak

I recently bought a Bradley Smoker and haven't had much time to play with it.  I followed the directions to prepare it for use, but haven't tried smoking anything.  I learned about this website and stopped at the store on the way home.  I picked up pork loin and thought I was going to just throw it in and enjoy it later.  Now after spending a little time here I'm learning there is a little more to it than that.  Not much, but a little more.  I've decided I would try the salt/sugar cure Bradley describes.  I've figured out I need to make enough that I can submerge the meat in it and I've learned I need to use stainless steel or plastic to contain it all.  From there I need all the help I can get!!  Do I need to cover it?  How long should I keep it in the mixture before I dry it and smoke it?  I'm thinking I will try apple first since my wife isn't a big fan of Mesquite(sp?)  Planning on hot smoking so we can eat it as soon as it is done.  How long should I smoke it?  How long should I keep the heat going after the smoke stops?  What should my target temp. be?  Any help anybody can give me would be greatly appreciated. 

pkcdirect

Welcome , Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

Paul
Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there Huntnfreak and welcome to the Bradley Family. Here is a link for you of The forum's proven and testedrecipes:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

Click on the link and enjoy all these recipe courtesy of some of the world's best and Nicest smokers. All the folks here are willing and able to offer good smoking advice to you just for the asking

I am not a lion expert and I am sure that some of the more experienced folks would be up and around soon to assist you. However, I would like to mention here that you should never use stainless steel anything in the brining process. You should always us, what is referred to in the smoking world by a "NON REACTIVE VESSEL (IE.: pastic or glass)".

HT

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

classicrockgriller

That recipe is for smoking and grilling later if you want to smoke and eat then you will need to raise your IT

Habanero Smoker

Hi Huntnfreak,

Welcome to the forum.

Since you are making bacon with this loin, I can answer a few questions, but I am not familiar with the Bradley Cures. Stainless steel cookware or bowls are fine to use. Stainless steel is non-reactive to salt.

I generally use a dry cure, and that takes 6 days. Using a wet cure and brining them should take less time, but again I am not familiar with the Bradley cures. Brining will usually take 4 days (if unsure you can go longer), when they feel firm to the touch in all areas they are fully cured. When you place the meat in the brine, you may need to weigh it down by placing a heavy plate on top to keep teh meat fully submerged. You definitely will need to cover it, the environment of the refrigerator is dry, which will cause some brine to evaporate if not covered. You also will want to overhaul it at least every other day, I overhaul daily. In your situation, overhauling means stirring up the brine and repositioning the meat.

After brining you may want to cut a small slice off, pan fry and taste for saltiness. If it is too salty you can soak in cold water.

I generally apply 1:40 - 2:00 hours of smoke, using a cabinet temperature of 225°F until an internal temperature of 142°F - 145°F. That is the temperature I consider fully done. Some take it to 150°F, while others feel safer at 160°F; which I consider both to be too high and dry out the meat.

More detail information on how I cure loins can be found here:
Canadian Bacon

But you don't have to cure a loin to smoke it. You can season the meat to your liking, and smoke/cook it from start to finish in the smoker. I found the best cabinet temperature is 225°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Huntnfreak!

If you want to just hot smoke the loin, You could just put salt and pepper on it, put it in the smoker for a couple of hours @ 225 with the smoke rolling.

Cook to an internal temperature of 145F or however you like your pork.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

Welcome Huntnfreak.
Just in case what FLBR posted isn't 100% clear,
that is smoke for a couple of hours and then continue without smoke till you reach your desired internal temp.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Hi Huntnfreak and welcome to the forum; a real nice bunch of people here.

I like to brine my pork or fowl if possible.  Even without, you can go with some simple salt and pepper as FLBR said and only a couple of hours of smoke as Q said.  I'd also sprinkle on some ground cumin and a hint of chipotle powder.  I use them on almost everything.  My target IT is more like 155 before I pull it out and let it rest for a while; 145 is a bit too rare for me with pork.

One thing to learn is that smoking and low and slow cooking takes time and patience.  But, if even reasonably well done, the
results are well worth it.  I put an 8.1 pound pork butt in 8 PM last night with 4 hours of hickory.  I figure I can take it out about 2 PM this afternoon.  This is my first one in the OBS.  I'll see how it turns out.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Huntnfreak

Thanks for all the info.  I was surprised to see 8 replies since I posted it.  Thanks again.

classicrockgriller

Come on back and visit.......bring pics

OU812

Welcome to the fun

To brine or not to brine, eather way you go it will be good. I like to cook a loin with a nice rub on the outside, In the smoker at 220 F with 3 hr pecan and cook to an internal temp of 145 F pull out and FTC an hr slice into steaks and enjoy.

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum, you hit the jackpot when you found this forum. Lots of help around here. Post pics if you got'em
Mike

Huntnfreak

classicrockgriller

Foil Towel Cooler
That is a practice the forum uses to "rest" your product when you are at the end of a smoke.
Say you want a finished IT of 190 on a Bst Butt. You can pull it at 180 to 182 and the it will rise during the FTC process.
Some use it longer to hold the warmth of the product till time for eating.
I did a whole sirloin (17 lbs) and I FTC it and left my remote in it and could not believe what the it did.
The theroy is that the heat continues to go toward center of product and cooking it after it is off heat source.