Brand new to smoking-Need help!!!

Started by Huntnfreak, September 19, 2009, 08:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

opps sorry OU812 will be gald to answer that.

ArnieM

I'm sure OU will answer; but I'll jump in anyway.  ;)

I had the same question when I started out here.  The 'F' is wrap it in Foil.  The 'T' is then wrap it in an old Towel or two.  Make sure the towels are old.  I think the foil comes with holes in it.   :-\  Then put it in a 'C'ooler for insulation.  I'll skip the cooler if I'm only going for an hour or so and just leave it on the counter; I'm an impatient type.  Some say 2-3 hours in the cooler makes for good stuff but I haven't tried it yet.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

What they all said  ;D

I am not on here much after 6:00 P.M central time or the weekends cause I live in the middle of know where and they want an arm and leg to put in a dish.

Caneyscud

Now to totally confuse you!  If your intent is not to make Canadian bacon, but to just moisten up a lean piece of meat, then you don't have to brine for 3 or 4 days - just overnight - and you can add spices for additional flavor.  The Loin is a very, lean piece of meat and can dry out if not careful and the overnight brining adds moisture to it.  My wife, for some reason, does not like loin, so I seldom do it, but others do.

Habanero Smoker does a few and his advice is usually something like this:
"I generally smoke/cook mine at 225°F. It is best to apply the smoke at the beginning, you will get better smoke penetration, as to just adhesion. I like a mild smoke flavor on pork loin, so I generally go with 2 hours of pecan; though apple, maple or even hickory works well. I can't give a time frame, due to many variable it could be 4 - 6 hours. Also the length of time will also depend on what your target internal temperature will be. I don't like over cooked pork, so I go to an internal temperature of 142°F - 145°F."

Some go for an IT of 150-155 while others drape bacon over it to baste it in bacon grease as it cooks. 

One warning though.  The brined loin, even though not really "cured" will have a kinda hammy taste and texture.  If you don't want that, skip the brining. 

For a spicier outcome - you might try WTS's method:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7477.0
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Huntnfreak

Thanks for that info.  I see I have a lot to learn!  My first pork loin is sitting in brine as I am writing this.  I can't wait to get it in the smoker and see how it turns out.  Everyone has been a big help.  Thanks again.

Huntnfreak

It's official, I've smoked for the first time.  All seems to have gone well although I have a few things to mention.  First, I was limited on time today, so at 6 hrs. and 10 minutes I had to pull it.  I was shooting for an internal temp of 150-155.  I reached 140 for 5 minutes.  It peaked at 145, but came back down and held at 140.  I had some augratin's going in the oven, so I put my pork loin in with the spuds until they are done.(in the oven now.)  I was able to keep my temp. very constant while I was smoking.  Since this was my first time, I cut the smoke at just over 4 hours to see how it worked after that.  After stopping the smoke, I had a real hard time keeping the temp right.  I had the damper at 3/4 the whole time I had smoke.  After that, it was all over the place.  Can somebody answer this.  I would like to be able to regulate the temp. with the damper instead of moving the digital temp up and down to get the temp back where it belongs.  Here is the question:  If I open the damper wide open, will it help raise the temp or lower it?  In a wood stove opening the damper allows more air, therefore creates more heat.  The Bradley is electric though, so am I letting more heat out by opening it further when there is no smoke?

HawkeyeSmokes

How large was your temperature swing? I've seen 20 deg on my DBS but it really won't hurt on this type of smoking. My kitchen oven has a larger temp swing than my Bradley when I set it at 220 deg. You do want to keep that damper open. The temp is being controlled by the thermostat with the vent open or closed.
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Hi Huntinfreak, I'm not an expert, so ...

As HS said, keep the damper open.  In my early OBS days, almost a month ago now  :) I thought the same as you; close the vent to keep the heat in.  It doesn't work.  You'll get a moisture build up in the cabinet and it might even lower the temp.  Now I always smoke with the vent wide open.

By "cutting the smoke" I assume you mean you turned the SG off.  That will take 150 watts out of the equation.  You'd have to increase the power to the cabinet heater power to make up for that.  If I intend to smoke for 4 hours, I'll add the required number of bisquettes and set the range timer when I start.  If I decide I want more smoke, I'll add the required number of bisquettes.  If not, I'll flick the last used bisquette into the bowl and leave the SG on.  Then, I don't have to adjust anything. 
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

Controlling the temperature by using the vent, depend on what you are smoking/cooking. With high moisture foods such as poutry with skin, or picnic shoulders with skin; widening the opeining of the vent in the early stages of the smoke will help the smoker maintain higher temperatures. In the last stages of this type of cooking you can close the vent after a great deal of moisture has evaporated.

Most other foods such as loins, butts, brisket etc; widening the vent opening will lower the cabinet temperature.

Here is a simple guide to using the vent opening to get you started.

Vent Openings

Alright!! Fixed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 24, 2009, 01:51:37 AM
Controlling the temperature by using the vent, depend on what you are smoking/cooking. With high moisture foods such as poutry with skin, or picnic shoulders with skin; widening the opeining of the vent in the early stages of the smoke will help the smoker maintain higher temperatures. In the last stages of this type of cooking you can close the vent after a great deal of moisture has evaporated.

Most other foods such as loins, butts, brisket etc; widening the vent opening will lower the cabinet temperature.

ok, maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet but I don't see the link... although when I hit quote I see it ???

So....  just in case it's not just me... here is the link Hab's is linking to     http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=780&postcount=22

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: deb415611 on September 24, 2009, 04:23:51 AM

ok, maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet but I don't see the link... although when I hit quote I see it ???

So....  just in case it's not just me... here is the link Hab's is linking to     http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=780&postcount=22

I guess I didn't have enough coffee prior to posting. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 24, 2009, 01:21:52 PM
Quote from: deb415611 on September 24, 2009, 04:23:51 AM

I guess I didn't have enough coffee prior to posting. :)

Habs, it's strange because if you hit the quote button the link is there.  I tried to copy it and it did not show up on my post either. It's invisible

HawkeyeSmokes

www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=780&postcount=22

Here's a little fix for it. Don't ask me why but it worked.
HawkeyeSmokes

Habanero Smoker

I found out what the problem is. That morning for some reason the forum was giving me problems. When I posted, I must have accidently deleted part of the post and part of the link, there should have been "Vent Openings[/url]" at the end of the link. But usually if that is left off the link is still displayed. Strange!!

I
         don't
                   inhale.