Sauce for the Butt?

Started by JF7FSU, September 20, 2009, 01:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF7FSU

Hi All,  I am smoking my first Butt as we speak.  I applied a dry rub for 24 hours and put in the OBS at 210 with 4 hours of special blend wood.

I have been reading the various butt posts and seem to be reading that a lot of people put a vinegar sauce in the pork while pulling?

I want to impress the family so any suggestions on the saucing?  I originally was going to toss it with some regular BBQ sauce, but now I think I can do better by asking.  Any suggestions on this and the vinegar? 
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

FLBentRider

Sauce is very subjective, but I would go with this:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=146#post146

I like it, and most that I have given it to that like vinegar sauces like it too.

Around here it is like jans rub. It goes good on everything - pork, chicken, beef, etc...

One of the things I have found is that I avoid sauces that have a smoke flavor. Often We find that the smoke flavor in the sauce clashes with the smoke flavor of the food.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

JF7FSU

Thanks FLBR.  Do I just toss it with it or let it soak?  Or add to taste once pulled?

FLBentRider

We usually keep it on the side, but we are feeding a wide range of tastes.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Jan said to tell you thanks FLBR. ;)

Sauce on the side around here too.

KyNola

FLBentRider

Jans rub and Vaunted vinegar sauce are the saviors of baked chicken!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

joerom

hello,
      For a commercial sauce,you might try "Cattlemens Honey".I put a little on my pulled pork sandwiches and it is about the only commercial sauce I like.I have tried many and it is true what  FLBentRider says  about  the sauces that have a heavy smoke flavor.But,I must also add that everyone has different taste buds.             
                                                                                   Joe.

ArnieM

I only use commercial sauce for an emergency.  I agree that a smokey flavored sauce is probably not the right thing to do on smoked whatever meat.

I did pulled pork today and put this sauce together.  I made it fairly "light" so as to enhance rather than fight with the taste of the pulled pork.

In a sauce pan, combine:

• 1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
  • 1 TBS each brown sugar and rice or apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp each of garlic and onion powder and ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp each of fresh ground black pepper and dry mustard
  • 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
  • A splash or two of Worcestershire sauce

Simmer for an hour or two to reduce and thicken it.  The cumin is a bit smokey so you can reduce the amount or leave it out altogether if you like.  My butt was done with hickory, which is pretty robust, so the cumin went OK.

Once you have a handful of recipes for your own sauces, you won't ever go back to the commercial stuff.  What is guar gum anyway?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Up In Smoke

QuoteWhat is guar gum anyway?
I think that is bubbles sister. ::)
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

Like FLB I am partial to the Vaunted Vinegar; especially when made with Nakano Rice Vinegar. I always add it to my pulled pork. I learned a few weeks ago that 10.5's yellow sauce on the side was a big hit. I also always have extra vinegar and tomato base sauces on the side.

Yellow Sauce

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 21, 2009, 04:03:11 AM
Like FLB I am partial to the Vaunted Vinegar; especially when made with Nakano Rice Vinegar. I always add it to my pulled pork. I learned a few weeks ago that 10.5's yellow sauce on the side was a big hit. I also always have extra vinegar and tomato base sauces on the side.

Yellow Sauce

When I have used the yellow sauce for impromptu gatherings I put it in a quart water bottle with the pop up drinking lid to use as a pour spout. Works pretty good that way.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

JF7FSU

Where can I find 10.5's recipe?   Is it similar to NePa's yellow sauce?

squirtthecat

The link is in the post before yours.

Here it is again:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=946#post946

I've made Nepas' yellow sauce, and it was too peppery for my taste.  I haven't tried 10.5's version, but it is on my short list..

Tenpoint5

Quote from: JF7FSU on September 21, 2009, 07:43:25 AM
Where can I find 10.5's recipe?   Is it similar to NePa's yellow sauce?

Just click on the blue "Yellow Sauce" in Habs's post should take you right to it. Or it is under sauces on the recipe site.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!