• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

BBQ on the river

Started by KyNola, September 23, 2009, 08:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

I unintentionally hijacked firerescueman's thread about his fundraiser for the volunteer fire department and for that I truly apologize.  If anyone is down in the Jackson TN area, hometown of Carl Perkins "Blue Suede Shoes" fame, please go by and get some great BBQ from those guys!

In Paducah KY officially starting tomorrow is a big BBQ festival.  50+ teams both amateur and pros fire up their smokers and smoke 60 tons of butts, ribs and chickens and it's ALL for charity.  I am so fortunate that where it takes place one of my good friends has a condo directly across the street that I have access to all weekend.  We were down there tonight sitting on the balcony watching all the teams getting ready and it looked like Mt. Saint Helen's erupting with all the teams burning hickory wood and nothing but hickory (did I mention we're in KY)to get the coals to start smoking.  Lots of these teams will start selling BBQ tomorrow at lunch.

Great weekend to be in Paducah.  If you're in the area come on down.

KyNola

FLBentRider

Sounds like a great time, but I'm a little far away.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Sounds like great fun. If you pick up any secrects bring em back and postem. Take some pics.
Have fun and be careful.

KyNola

CRG,
Trust me when I tell you NONE of these folks are revealing any tips at all.  Even the amateur teams are danged serious about this.  There is this one guy who has been here almost every one of the 15 years that it has been going on.  He smokes nothing but ribs.  His set up is unreal.  His smokers are huge!  I've seen motorhomes smaller than his smokers and they are all digitally controlled.  Talk about supersizing a BDS.  They don't allow electric fired smokers but his digitals control the heat by damper control, ventilation etc.

Good time, great food, cold beer, great music.

I asked Jan what she wanted to eat tonight.  She said "let's go home and get a vac sealed pack of butt out of the freezer and open a jar of Ice's sauce".  I am SO keeping this woman. ;)

KyNola

Tenpoint5

You better treat her right Larry don't want that one to get away. By the way she makes an awesome rub!! Just in case I forgot to tell her. Had it on grilled Burgers the other day over the top they was.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Seriously, take some pics if you can and remember.....would make a nice post.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: KyNola on September 23, 2009, 08:35:55 PM
CRG,
His set up is unreal.  His smokers are huge!  I've seen motorhomes smaller than his smokers and they are all digitally controlled.  Talk about supersizing a BDS. 
I asked Jan what she wanted to eat tonight.  She said "let's go home and get a vac sealed pack of butt out of the freezer and open a jar of Ice's sauce".  I am SO keeping this woman. ;)

KyNola

Hey Ky. I would love to see a picture of that set up even from a distance.
I agree with 10.5, Jan makes a great rub.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

squirtthecat

My cooking buddy (he bought me my OBS - so he can play with it) and his wife are transplants from Paducah, and we talked about going down to this...   But other things have come up, sick critters, job uncertainties, etc.   So we won't be making the trip.   Planning on it next year, though!

OU812

That sounds like a good time

classicrockgriller

KyNola

Sorry CRG.  It pretty much rained off and on ALL day yesterday and my wife had some minor outpatient surgery so I wasn't at the BBQ.  Work until 6:00PM this evening and then off to see Hal Holbrook as Mark Twain so won't be at the BBQ tonight either. 

One thing kind of interesting did happen today.  Kevin Skinner, the recent winner of America's Got Talent was walking around down there today.  His home is only about 30 minutes away from here.  I think he created a bit of a stir for a while.  He's doing a free concert for his hometown tomorrow night in the high school gym before he heads to Las Vegas.

Maybe I'll get down there tomorrow but honestly, it's so crowded I'll be content to watch it from the third floor balcony of my buddy's condo.  Much closer to the beer that way! ;)

KyNola

KyNola

Update from the BBQ on the River.  It was insane.  Remember we're in Kentucky where there is nothing and I mean NOTHING but pork smoked.  So Jan I go walking down one of the boulevards and see this little shed of a looking place selling BBQ shrimp.  Now I'm thinking cajun BBQ shrimp so I say let's check this place out.  As I walk up to place the order I see something that looks foreignly familiar, like a brisket.  Brisket in Kentucky?  I'm thinking "hell no".  I ask the guy "brisket"?. He smiles and says try it.  I order me a sandwich.  So we sit.  Stupid me offers Jan a bite of my brisket sandwich.  The shrimp went to the trash and I had to go buy another brisket sandwich!  Now, here is where it gets interesting.  We go back to the condo and the whole time I'm muttering cuss words because they were selling brisket by the pound and I bought none.  Looking at the sky, yet another rain coming and severe so I turn to Jan and say "Head to Cohen's (bar) I'll be there shortly.  So I sprint back to the brisket place, wind is blowing like a M.. It was blowing.  "y'all want to sell a whole brisket?". "Let me go ask Lennie".  Bought a whole big ass packer straight off the smoker.  Lennie brings it to me.  He is a Guy Fieri look alike, spike blond hair and all.

Here's the best part of this whole lengthy(sorry) story.  Lennie's BBQ is local!  About 45 minutes due south.  Caneyscud, South Fulton TN! Lennie's is a true father and son place.  It gets better for these guys.  At this festival they don't judge briskets because we are in KY after all.  No problem for Lennie.  He took FIRST place in ribs for the professionals.  BTW, only the second time Lennie and family have ever competed.
Now I know what CRG and WTS have been talking about. 

Sorry for the long post but we had a great time.

Larry & Jan

classicrockgriller

Long......wasn't long enough. You scored on a spot no one was looking at. Sounds like alot of fun. I&*&^#@$%!@$%*(*&)&$
Again no pics...That's ok... Houston Rodeo is comin to my area soon. And I have a camera. I usually help sponsor a team.
I will post pictures. Glad ya'll are havin fun and thanks for the update.

squirtthecat

So you took the whole packer brisket right off the smoker to Cohen's and...

(empty handed now?)

classicrockgriller