New Member from Central Illinois

Started by blackbelt1955, September 26, 2009, 12:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackbelt1955

Hello Everyone,

Great Forum!   I looked here before deciding to buy a Bradley Smoker.  I've used your advice to get started.  I've smoked 3 times now.  First was 2 pork loins, then I did 2 pork butts, and most recently I did 4 pork butts ... each time taste and quality have improved. 

I'm looking forward to moving on to chicken and beef brisket. 

Once again, great forum!
Dave

classicrockgriller

Hey Dave, welcome to forum and congrats on your smoke success.
If you had G/L with what you have smoked (I'm impressed) then beef and chicken will be no problem.
If you need help, just ask.

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Dave congrats and welcome to the the wonderful world of Smoking.

Do you mind telling us which Bradley you purchased and what other toys you have.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum blackbelt1955!

It sounds like you are enjoying your new smoker.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

pkcdirect

Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

squirtthecat

Welcome aboard!  Whereabouts in Central Illinois??   We're practically neighbors...

Quarlow

Hey Blackbelt, Welcome. These folks will make you feel right at home. Best bunch of people you have the pleasure of chatting with.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

Welcome to the fun

Sounds like your starting to get addicted to this thing called smoking.

If you are happy with the results of your butts then your already one up when it comes to smoking a brisket as they cook almost the same.

The chicken on the other hand you want to cook at a higher cabnet temp and keep the vent wide open, dont expect to eat the skin of the bird unless you crisp it on the grill or it will be like eating a peace of rubber.

blackbelt1955

Thanks for the warm welcome!  :)

I have the 4 rack Bradley.  Regarding other smoking toys, I have a remote thermometer and used it twice ... my last smoke was the 4 pork butts and I waited 8 hours into the process before inserting the probe.   Then I just watched it occasionally at the smoker. 

I bought a plastic cabinet to sit the smoker on.   I keep an electric cord and the bisquettes in the cabinet.  I put rollers on the cabinet so I can move it in and out of the garage with ease.  I also have a cover for the smoker. 

My address is Oreana, but I live in the country on the Sangoman river (5.5 acres).  I have a lot of oak trees (red and white), some hickory, and other varieties of trees.  I am in the process of figuring out how to make my own bisquettes. 

I'm looking forward to getting lots of tips from everyone.

Dave

classicrockgriller

blackbelt, be sure and check the specs on the bradley for you area and the "electric cord". There are some restrictions before you have a problem use a extention cord. Is it cold in Ill yet?
Good luck in your adventures.   CRG

squirtthecat

Welcome Dave!   I worked as a consultant (computer geek) at IP in Decatur for about 3 years.  That was back in the early 90s..   My job is in Springfield now, but I live south of here, just over the Montgomery county line.

CRG, I can answer that...   It was 46 when I was backing the Mrs' car out of the garage this morning.

Gonna get down to 39 tonight..    

Caribou

OU812

"Is it cold there yet?" 

39 F here this morning  :-\

FLBentRider

77F here this morning.

Brrrrrr...

;D :D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!