Hello from Ohio .....

Started by outdoorsfellar, September 27, 2009, 09:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsfellar

Hello all !      My wife & I ( mostly I ) are contemplating purchasing a Bradley Smoker. I am not new to smoking, but would be new to smoking done right perhaps. ;D  I've had the charcoal bullet type in the past, but never put it to good use. I now have the fire box type attached to my charcoal / gas grill, but haven't used it much due to not being home much, or just not wanting to mess with it. I'm thinking this approach would be a more convenient way since I can leave the smoker out in the screened in porch ... with the smoke vented out just the same. ANYWAY, a few questions I do have is about abbreviations that are used here & also about clean up afterwards. I really hate to clean the smoke residue & am wondering how often it's needed to clean the inside walls of a smoker. I really hate the thought of it just the same. I'm guessing OBS means Original Bradley Smoker & DBS is digital ? What about PID & other s that might be mention here as well ? I'm leaning towards the original since Cabela's have them on sale. What would be a good thermometer extension probe ?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated . Thanks !

classicrockgriller

HIya Outdoorsfellar, welcome to forum.
OBS is an original
DBS is a digital
PID is a monitoring device that is use in conjunction with bradley to help dial in temps better (Auber makes a plug n play)
Most therm use here are the maverick et-73 which allows you to monitor your meat with one probe and cabinet temp with another prob all in one unit.
Hope this helps. Good Smoking crg

Hopefull Romantic

Hello outdoorsfellar and welcome to the forum.

CRG has put you on the right track and I just wanted to add that there are many good folks here who are willing to assist you in all sorts of smoke related questions. All yours for just the asking.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

Hi outdoorsfellar;

Welcome to the forum.

Here are a few links to get you up to speed.

Acronyms
Bradley FAQ's
Recipe Site

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Welcome aboard!
As for cleaning the inside walls of the Bradley, your question was how often do you need to do it?  The answer essentially is NEVER.  No one that I am aware of takes a cleaning material to the inside walls of their Bradley.  You want it well seasoned.  If it becomes flaky, just brush the flaking off.  Clean up inside basically amounts to the racks, drip pan and bowl.

Come join the fun.  We will be waiting for you!

KyNola

outdoorsfellar

Thanks to all ! These answers & links are exactly what I'm looking for. ;)

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard Outdoorsfellar!! If you sepnd too much time around here you will also need a Grinder, Stuffer, Big Easy and possibly a Treager. Just way too many toyools that we need to have to satisfy our smoking addiction. When you get to that point we can help you with the correct wording that should get you Corporate Approval for those purchases.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Welcome to the fun

Watch out this kind of smoking is addictive

Quote from: KyNola on September 28, 2009, 06:18:49 AM
Welcome aboard!
As for cleaning the inside walls of the Bradley, your question was how often do you need to do it?  The answer essentially is NEVER.  No one that I am aware of takes a cleaning material to the inside walls of their Bradley.  You want it well seasoned.  If it becomes flaky, just brush the flaking off.  Clean up inside basically amounts to the racks, drip pan and bowl.

Come join the fun.  We will be waiting for you!

KyNola

The only other thing that needs regular cleaning is the door seal and the surface that it comes in contact with. About once a month I clean the inside of the smoke generator and the smoke hot plate.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 28, 2009, 07:23:38 AM
Welcome Aboard Outdoorsfellar!! If you sepnd too much time around here you will also need a Grinder, Stuffer, Big Easy and possibly a Treager. Just way too many toyools that we need to have to satisfy our smoking addiction. When you get to that point we can help you with the correct wording that should get you Corporate Approval for those purchases.

Hey Outdoorsfellar,

listen to tenpoint5 he is not kidding and in his statement he is right twice. Once when he said you will be soon wanting more toys; I have just started with the Bradley a little over two months and now looking into sausage and Jerky making equipment. The second time he was right was when he said the people here would help you in your decision making on what to buy.

So as OU812 said; it is HIGHLY addictive.

HR

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum outdoorsfellar!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

welcome to the forum, the others have you pointed in the right direction.

NePaSmoKer

WHAT  ?????????????

You mean this is a forum for smoking food?

Dang i thought it was for Cigars  :D  :D   :D

Welcome aboard feller

nepas

classicrockgriller

Nepas, it is for order of importance #1 smoking food #2 adult beverages #3 cigars. We would discuss wild women but they said no.

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Outdoorsfellar!
Carolyn

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 28, 2009, 08:40:32 PM
Nepas, it is for order of importance #1 smoking food #2 adult beverages #3 cigars. We would discuss wild women but they said no.

I love a man who has his priorities straight.

HR