• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Brisket

Started by schneep, October 13, 2009, 05:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schneep

Ok everyone,
I'm going to do my first brisket for Sunday dinner.  I have worked through everything else I have smoked  with all your help, and have pretty much been successful but am a little wary on this one.

I have decided to follow WTS Brisket, but I don't have the time now to age it as long as is suggested.  I am going to Costco tommorrow to pick up a brisket. 

Will it turn out if I don't age it more than a couple days, planning on going into the smoker Saturday between 2 and 3 pm, hopefully all done after FTC around 1pm Sunday.

Any suggestions????
Retirement, Everyday's a Holiday, and every night's a Saturday night!!

mybad

Caneyscud

I like mybad's suggestion.  My number is BR 549  ;D ;D

I doubt if I have ever eaten an aged brisket and I've had some mighty good brisket in my life.   I'll try it someday, just don't have the space in the refrig. usually.  I usually cut the cryovac and have it in the smoker within 15 minutes.  There will be no problem, not aging it - it will be some mighty fine eats regardless!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi schneep, if you have a whole packer, I would guess your timing should be pretty close. The last one I did was 11 lbs and took about 20 hours and then FTC time. Can't say much about aging because all of mine have gone right from the store, rubbed down overnight and then into the smoker. Never seem to have the time and planning to age one. They have turned out real well but I would guess aging might be even better. Just follow the directions from WTS and it will turn out great. Good luck and keep us posted!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Looking forward to your "Great Expectations". Besure and post some pics.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 13, 2009, 07:57:12 PM
Looking forward to your "Great Expectations". Besure and post some pics.

Me too.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

schneep

Thanks to all, and I will post pics of the process.
Been doing fresh salmon lately and my special smoked meat loaf for the fishing trips. ;D

squirtthecat

Quote from: schneep on October 14, 2009, 04:48:22 AM
and my special smoked meat loaf for the fishing trips. ;D

Oh my, DO TELL!

schneep

Went to Costco and the biggest they had was a 5.6 pounder, so I bought, being smaller, how will this effect my cooking time??

FLBentRider

Quote from: schneep on October 14, 2009, 02:57:10 PM
Went to Costco and the biggest they had was a 5.6 pounder, so I bought, being smaller, how will this effect my cooking time??

Not as much as you might think, it might be a little shorter.

If it is done early, just FTC until serving time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 14, 2009, 03:04:34 PM
Quote from: schneep on October 14, 2009, 02:57:10 PM

Not as much as you might think, it might be a little shorter.

If it is done early, just FTC until serving time.

I agree with FLB on that. First one I did was only about 4.5 lbs and I think total time was about 11 hours.
HawkeyeSmokes

schneep

Two briskets in the smoker 5.6 lbs and 5.0 lbs. used WTS rub and added extra chopped garlic.  Should be coming out in about 1 hour, then into the pans with some apple juice and sealed then into the oven til early morning.
Only one problem and that is I can't get the OBS up to 220 degrees, so it's been around the 205-215 range with a short spurt to 219.  It's only about 42 degrees outside.  Unit is not in the wind, and I have had this problem before.  Everythings working?? ???

I will post pics when done,  last time I had trouble with pics, so hopfully better luck this time. 

classicrockgriller

schneep

OMG!!!!!
Just out of the oven and FTC'ed the one is so tender it almost fell apart the other is slightly firmer.
But if smell and looks are worth anything this is going to be outstanding!! ;D

I do have one question though,  what is the process to make a sauce from all the juice as far as ingredients etc.??  I looks so good I don't want to waste it. ???

HawkeyeSmokes

Congrats schneep, sounds like you knocked it out of the park.

I like to cool the juice in the refrigerator and skim the fat off. I will add some to meat straight or here's a link from WTS for a barbecue sauce that's pretty good. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10644.0
HawkeyeSmokes