Fish really oily??

Started by Crazy Canuck, March 01, 2005, 02:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Canuck

Help?

Did I take it out to soon?
Followed Kummock's recipe to a T. Fish came out oily. Used farmed Silver Salmon as no fresh fish available. Taste and color was awesome just found it to be finger licking good oily[:p]. (Just like KFC)

Interesting to know if it was my technique or if I got an oily fish? Any suggestions welcome.

Addicted to Smokin[:p][:p][:p]
[email protected] BC

oguard

Dan my fish turns out somewhat oily(a little bit anyway)it sounds if your drying time might be a little off.I think a little more time in the smoker would cure(no pun intended[:D]) this problem.One other thing I was wondering where you got the farmed coho salmon?

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="4"><font color="blue">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="blue"></font id="size4"></font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>[8D]
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="3"><font color="blue">Mike</font id="blue"></font id="size3"></font id="Comic Sans MS">
BTW how is the weather up in the Northeast
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Crazy Canuck

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oguard</i>
[One other thing I was wondering where you got the farmed coho salmon?

BTW how is the weather up in the Northeast
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Picked up the Salmon at the local Co-op. Was the only Salmon available. Will talk to the butcher as to where he obtained it. Weather has been exceptionaly warm here. Plus 9 degrees C.

DanR @ Fort St. John Bc

oguard

Dan sounds like the weather down her in Coqutlam.Let me know about the salmon when you find out.

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="4"><font color="blue">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="blue"></font id="size4"></font id="Comic Sans MS">
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="3"><font color="blue">Mike</font id="blue"></font id="size3"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

tsquared

Crazy Canuck (I think your handle is an oxymoron! We're all crazy!)Mine comes out oily too but it doesn't affect the taste. I keep a piece of paper towel handy so I don't lose the grip on my beer glass.
Tom

Crazy Canuck

<br />Crazy Canuck (I think your handle is an oxymoron! We're all crazy!)
[/quote]

Mike
It must be the BC Air or the oil in the fish. Have had smoked Salmon that wasn't dripping flavor. I grossed out the wife when I started licking the drippings off the floor[xx(]. As for the beer I just hook up to the intravenous.[:p][:p] Leaves both hands to eat with.[:)]

DanR @ Fort St. John BC

Kummok

When I smoke the Silvers, I grade the finished product into "dry", "med", and "wet" categories since they end up coming out so different in moisture and oil content, depending upon each fish and where the pieces are placed in the smoker racks. Only happens with the Silvers.

The oily ones are the top of the food chain for me though [:p][:p], so you guys keep fillin' salmon with oil down there and scoot them up my direction....especially the Kings!! [:D][;)][:D][:p]

P.S. to CC....When you lick the oil off the floor, don't you get plywood splinters in your tongue[:D][;)][:D]  (A little "living Alaskan style" humor there[:D][;)])

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">so you guys keep fillin' salmon with oil down there and scoot them up my direction....especially the Kings!! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
We should charge that Alaskan so and so for every Canucklehead herring that is in those beauties he catches![:D] But then Fuzzy would charge us for the Washington state fish we catch in the spring.
Tom

oguard

T2 as long as we can all catch em,kill em and smoke em its all good.[:D][8D]

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="4"><font color="blue"><b>KEEP ON SMOKIN</b></font id="blue"></font id="size4"></font id="Comic Sans MS">[8D]
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="blue">Mike</font id="blue"></font id="size2"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

psdubl07

This happens to me every time I smoke salmon also, but especially w/ silvers.
Last time I had the smoker at only 90 degrees (measured by my Maverick, not the Bradley thermometer), and within an hour there was already fat puddling up on the top.

tsquared

Yep--they're fatty fish alright, but look at it this way--it's the kind of fat that makes your cardiologist [:)].
Tom

psdubl07

It doesn't really bother me cuz it tastes so good.  Just isn't real great for presentation.

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />.....Just isn't real great for presentation.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

We give that a GREAT deal of thought up here in Homer, psdub, right before we scarf it up and conduct full volume beer off-gassing operations [:D][:D][}:)][;)][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Crazy Canuck

One other thing I was wondering where you got the farmed coho salmon?

Talked to Butcher was not farmed but was wild Salmon guess I miss read or had been reading to many threads on the forums. OOPS[:(!]

Dan R @ Fort St.John BC