Smoke Tuna - Great

Started by gotbbq, March 01, 2005, 09:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotbbq

Today i made cold smoked tuna, like lox only way better.  I followed the dry/wet brine follwed by 3 hrs of adler smoke.  I'm not sure im gonna make lox from salmon again.  The tuna was superior.

gotbbq

tsquared

I know, I know. It pains me to say it as an old salmon fisherman but tuna is so good! Most people only associate it with canned tuna. Glad you tried it, I'm going to do a batch of cold smoked tuna and salmon in the next week or so with Spyguy's recipe so it's nice to hear it worked out. Are you into sushi?
Tom

gotbbq

T2-

Big time into sushi, eating and making.  I lived near Fort Lee (NJ) for a long time, a large Japanese comminity.  Have been eating and making for over 25 years.  I'm headed to Japan again in April for 2 weeks, always great food and drink.  Are you a sushi consumer?

gotbbq

tsquared

At least once a week. I used to make it all the time but lately have got lazy or maybe it's just there is a good sushi takeout place near my place. I figure the draw of using my own cold smoked tuna should be enough to get me back into making it.
Tom

gotbbq

T2-

The cold smoked is almost like raw, texture wise, with a good complex flavor.

gotbbq

Chez Bubba

Just curious, as long as we're on the sushi thing. What would you coasters pay for this at your favorite place?

Appetizers:
1-Golden Scallops
1-Golden Shrimp

Soup & Salad

Maki rolls:
2-Salmon Skin Handrolls
1-Spicy Salmon Handroll
1-Rainbow Maki
1-Spider Maki

Sushi:
3-Sake
1-Toro
1-White Tuna
1-Ama Ebi
1-Unagi
1-Kaki

Beers: 3 Miller Lite bottles

This is what we had at our favorite spot for my birthday & man were we stuffed. Anne made me eat way more than her, so I was really full.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

tsquared

Couldn't tell you the price for everything on your list off hand Chez but my stomach and I are willing to do the research.[;)] We'll get back to you. Now that I think about it, at my takeout place, 2 California rolls are about $5 and a plate of mixed sushi and maki is $8.50--Canadian pesos.
Tom

gotbbq

Bubba,

That mix would run about 60.00 in NY.  Not including 35.00 for parking, 15 for tolls.[:D]

gotbbq

Kummok

The most of the menu with the exception of the soup and salad and 3 beers is free here as BAIT! The soup/salad and three beers would run $567.83!! [:D][;)][:0][:D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA