Papain

Started by classicrockgriller, October 16, 2009, 06:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Was wondering if anyone has incorporated papain into their injectable meat marnaides.

I worked at a groc store many years ago and we sold Swift Protien Beef. At that time they would inject
papaya juice into the blood stream of the cow just prior to slaughter. The papya would work it's way into
the tissue of the slaughter cow and start breaking down the connective tissue. The meat was very tender.

Hopefull Romantic

Funny that you mention that CRG. I have done some BBR's and three racks of lambs on Thursday for some friends. When I bought the lamb, the butcher, (whom I never bought from before) was very nice and struck up a conversation with me. He asked me what was I planning to do with them and I said; smoke them. He was very intrigued and offered some advice. To rub the lamb with half a KIWI before putting the rub for the same exact reason you are talking about. I did not want to post this to give me some time to try it out, but now that you have mentioned papaya... well you did not leave me much choice.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

If i am not mistaken papain comes from the bark of the papaya plant and not the fruit itself.

ArnieM

I gave up on that stuff years ago.  In the paraphrased words of Alton Brown, "The meat comes out with the consistency of dog food."  No offense Zelda  ;D

I sometimes use a "needler" on flat cuts of meat.  It has 48 blades that you press into the meat.  It cuts up the connective tissue and works well while not affecting the overall texture.  If anyone is interested, I can probably dig up a link to it.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Arnie, I have one, also

HawkeyeSmokes

Papain does come from the unripe fruit papaya. http://www.yourdictionary.com/papain And I agree with Arnie, using it can turn a piece of meat to mush. There are better ways to make it tender IMHO.
HawkeyeSmokes

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: ArnieM on October 16, 2009, 06:57:46 PM
I gave up on that stuff years ago.  In the paraphrased words of Alton Brown, "The meat comes out with the consistency of dog food."  No offense Zelda  ;D

I sometimes use a "needler" on flat cuts of meat.  It has 48 blades that you press into the meat.  It cuts up the connective tissue and works well while not affecting the overall texture.  If anyone is interested, I can probably dig up a link to it.

Arnie, are you talking about the meat jacard tenderizer?

HR

classicrockgriller

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 16, 2009, 07:18:43 PM
Papain does come from the unripe fruit papaya. http://www.yourdictionary.com/papain And I agree with Arnie, using it can turn a piece of meat to mush. There are better ways to make it tender IMHO.

I have done that, not good eats.

But I think in a mixture like Adolf's with a marinade might be a good thing.

Tenpoint5

You guys HAVE IT ALL WRONG. If you want moist tender meat you DO NOT have to inject, Rub fruit juice or punch it full of holes. We are talking about BBQ. Which by definition is LOW AND SLOW= Tenderness. I'm not as good with the words like my O'l Pal Caney but that's how it started with a chunk of tough cheap nobody else wanted it meat. Folks learned to cook it with smoke at low temps for a long time and got some really good food out of the deal.

How'd I do Caney?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on October 16, 2009, 07:19:44 PM

Arnie, are you talking about the meat jacard tenderizer?

HR

Yeah.  They have a few models but this one looks close to mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-Original-Super-Knife-Stainless/dp/B001A5B8SM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1255746639&sr=8-4

Go over the meat one way, rotate 90 degrees and do it again.  Flip and repeat.  It flattens as well so the result is good for stuffing and rolling, chicken fried steak, etc.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Ok Mr Caney Jr, It  was a question to see what someone out there has done or not done. I don't inject to make something tender, I inject to bring a different taste to what I am cooking/smoking.

But the tenderizing mixture is interesting.

Hopefull Romantic

You know 10.5. You are right, Low and slow should do it and do it right and not only for meat. It applies for other "human activity" as well.  ::)

HR

classicrockgriller

Low and slow up to a certain point, then it katy bar the door

Tenpoint5

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 16, 2009, 07:39:24 PM
Ok Mr Caney Jr, It  was a question to see what someone out there has done or not done. I don't inject to make something tender, I inject to bring a different taste to what I am cooking/smoking.

But the tenderizing mixture is interesting.
;D ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

Wow that link for amazon was not a good time. When I went to close it I was hit by a barage of web sites that I couldn't keep up with deleting. Till my web just finally shut down. Within 30 sec. I had 25 web pages open up and I couldn't close them fast as they opened.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.