• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Smoker does nothing!

Started by Rockpig, October 26, 2009, 11:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockpig

Well, got the new smoker today and just set it up.  Drove an hour and a half each way just to get some bisquettes from Gander Mountain to season it.  That was the only place near me that carries them.  Have $100 worth of an assortment on the way but just couldn't wait.     
Upon setup I did notice that the rear hole on the mounting plate for the smoker generator wasn't assembled right.  The side plate with the mounting holes wasn't in the tabs correctly on the main housing.  Got out the screwdriver, took it apart and realigned it.  The bisquette tube inside the generator that slips into the 3 prongs also was missaligned so I put that in the correct spot.  Everything inside looked perfect, no wires disconnected, no signs of use.  Even upon taking out the screws the paint was perfect under the lock washers indicating it has never been apart., no scratches.
So, I plug it all in and try to turn it on and nothing, no lights, no buzzing, no nothing. I hold down the power buttons for the oven and gsmoke generator and nothing. I see that there is an internal fuse, so I check that, looks good.  I check my outlet by plugging in a hand mixer, have power.  Check and double check the plugs, all tight, nothing loose, seated perfectly.
I need help, don't see a troubleshooting portion in the manual! 

mikeradio

Give Brain at Bradley a call, and he can talk you through trouble shooting.

Rockpig

OK-emergency over!  Called Bradley and initially got Mike, he ran me through a few things and still got nothing.  He switched me over to Brian and I explained my problem.  Told him how I took the cover off to fix the alignment and he said something probably got disconnected.  Took her apart again and Poof!  The brown wire leading to the fuse was disconnected from the main power wire.  Plugged it back in, slipped the cover back on and plugged it in-BEEP!  I have power!  On my way to seasoning her as we speak!  Off to the butcher!

FLBentRider

"I love it when a plan comes together!"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Houston we have lift off!  Congrats Rockpig.  Be sure you season your BDS according to the instructions before you put food in there to smoke for the first time.

You're in for a lot of fun, a lot of great food and a lot of help from this community should you require it.

KyNola

BigJohnT

Don't forget to keep the vent from 1/2 to wide open all the time...

JT

NePaSmoKer

Congrats Rockpig and welcome

nepas

classicrockgriller

Rockpig

I'm not quite sure yet!  The bisquettes I picked up till mo others come are Hickory and Mesquite.  I'd love to do pulled pork but right off the bat, that's why I bought it.  I'll probably research that one and go with that second.  I think the first thing I'll do is some kind of ribs.  Luckily I'm working the evening shift this week, so I'll have all morning to smoke and have a late rib lunch!

LindaCC

I am so glad it got figured out Rockpig. If you were like me, I was so very excited when it came. Glad you're off and smokin!!!

pensrock

Cool, glad you got it fixed and you running.  :)

watchdog56

Welcome Rock, you will love this site. Before you get in to much of a hurry don't forget to season smoker.

mybad

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 26, 2009, 01:09:29 PM
"I love it when a plan comes together!"
I loved that show....congrats on getter her up and running!

KyNola

RP,
In my humble opinion you have your choices reversed.  Pulled pork is a lot easier and much more forgiving than ribs.  Either way, can't wait to see how your first run comes out.  Let us know if we can help.

KyNola