Smoked Apples - a very tasty snack!!

Started by Slamdunk, October 26, 2009, 01:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slamdunk

So I had a smoked food fit and wanted something to nibble on during the game.

Sliced up and de-cored some apples and sprinkled with Cinnamon and Sugar. Into the pre-heated smoker for 45 minutes of Apple pucks (what else would you use??) at 200 degrees.

They came out great!! Reminded me of Apple Pie without the crust, but a lot firmer.

My son thought they were good but needed more Cinnamon and Sugar- I think he's right.

Also tried doing some pears but they came out very mushy - wouldn't recommend doing them....

Habanero Smoker

Sounds interesting. I will have to give this a try, maybe with maple syrup or honey, mixed with brown sugar and cinamon; and apply maple smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

sd, I have grilled pears before but only for a short time over direct coals and made cinnamon based syrup with Ice Cream and they were great.

Scotty-G

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 26, 2009, 02:02:04 PM
...grilled pears before but only for a short time over direct coals and made cinnamon based syrup with Ice Cream and they were great.

Grilled Pears, Hot Fudge Sauce and cold French Vanilla Ice Cream  :o

KyNola

Scotty-G!!  Where you been man?  Good to see you back again.

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

Slamdunk;

I forgot to ask, what type of apple did you use. I'm thinking of Granny Smith. I like their tart taste and texture, and they hold up well when cooked.

Man! You couldn't have posted that at a better time. A wide variety of apples are plentiful right now.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Hopefull Romantic

Smoked apples!!!! I have got to try that.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Slamdunk

I used two types - MacIntosh and yes, Granny Smiths.

I like the idea of Ice Cream!! Will remember that for next time...

Habanero Smoker

Thanks! Now I'm thinking about using Apple Pie Spice Mix instead of just cinnamon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

classicrockgriller

Ok Habs, whip us up a smoked apple pie for Thanksgiving.

Sounds good !

ArnieM

Sounds good slamdunk.  I like macouns (sic?).  They're pretty firm.  I think I'd add a little cayenne to the sprinkle for my taste.

Good idea.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Slamdunk

Habs - excuse my ignorance - I'm not an apple pie maker - what are the ingredients for Apple Pie Spice Mix??

Arnie - Cayenne?? Now that would be an interesting one to try out on my son!! "Here, try some of these!! " "Oh, by the way, I'm selling the beer in the fridge for $5.00 a can!! " ::) ::)

ArnieM

Quote from: slamdunk on October 27, 2009, 06:28:09 PM
Habs - excuse my ignorance - I'm not an apple pie maker - what are the ingredients for Apple Pie Spice Mix??

Arnie - Cayenne?? Now that would be an interesting one to try out on my son!! "Here, try some of these!! " "Oh, by the way, I'm selling the beer in the fridge for $5.00 a can!! " ::) ::)

I love cayenne on sliced orange wedges or apples - just a sprinkle.  Maybe you can make a few bucks back after supporting your son all of his life.  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

You can purchase the spice mix in most markets. I prefer McCormick Apple Pie Spice Mix. If you want to make your own mix this link has one recipe, but you may want to search around for variations of this mix. The link contains two recipes.

Pumkins Plus Apple Pie Spice mix

I
         don't
                   inhale.

classicrockgriller

They have a mexican fruit seasoning that may be interesting called pico sitos kinda sweet and spicy