Fuzzybear

Ok, here they are!!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

Fuzz,

I'm just glad ya switched from Dawn to gin![;)][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

I see you found my fondness for Blue Sapphire Gin......yep, Friday after a long week of work, it calls me!

Glendora, CA - USA!

MallardWacker

Here is a little trit I found at the Arizona BBQ Association.  I think it explains it well about Brisket.

<font color="blue">What I've learned through trial & error, as well as reading a lot on BBQ websites is:

1. Trim the fat cap down, as Lane said, to about 1/4". Supposedly the brisket's fat is more tallow-like and doesn't let the smoke penetrate a thick fat cap.

2. A brisket is like a sponge when it comes to smoke. That's why many competitors wrap it is foil halfway (some pour in a half a beer) through the cooking process. This keeps it from over-smoking and preserves moisture. (This is heresy to Paul Kirk, much like wearing a helmet is to old hockey players. But if it works, I say go for it.)

3. The best briskets are the most flexible ones when raw. Pick 'em up in the store. Some will almost fold in half. Others are as stiff as a board.

4. Look for one that is more even in thickness from one end to the other. It cooks more evenly.

5. Limit your rub to a simple salt, pepper & garlic mixture. Traditional Texas brisket rubs never have sugar or a lot of complicated blends. Some of the most famous Texas joints don't use anything other than a salt water mop.

6. Use oak, mesquite or pecan. Or a mixture of any of them. Hickory & brisket don't really mix.

7. Mop your brisket occasionally. Unlike pork butt, brisket doesn't have the marbling to be self-basting. Unless you are using a water smoker or ceramic cooker.

8. Remember the old adage of "fat side up" when cooking with indirect heat like on an offset cooker. This line was written for brisket. But then some oldtimers say leave the fat side down so gravity will let your seasoning that lies directly on the meat to migrate down. I often use fat side down if I'm cooking over direct heat in my Kamado. It acts as a "heat shield" to protect the meat.

9. Cook it to an internal temperature of 195 to 205. 200 degrees is a nice easy number to remember. many people recommend that you take it out, wrap it tightly in foil and then put it into a thermal bag or wrapped in towels to retain the heat and let the juices settle back into the meat.</font id="blue">

I must try this some day...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />I see you found my fondness for Blue Sapphire Gin......yep, Friday after a long week of work, it calls me!

Glendora, CA - USA!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I love the stuff but hardly ever drink it. I love it too much. 1 G&T turns into a 50/50 which quickly goes to straight gin. Not a good long-term party plan![:D]

Maybe that's why I love to incorporate juniper berries into the marinade for pork loin. All the flavor, a whole bunch safer! It's harder to be stupid with beer.[:I]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

trout

Do ya want to have a little fun at work.  Put a plate of brisket or pork but in the microwave at work and heat it up while everyone else is cooking their horrible mini hotpocket[xx(] type excuses for a lunch. You should here the comments when I do this.  It fills the whole room with the smell of a weekend barbeque.  Can you say ENVY[^][^]  It's sad that so many people are so lazy or in a hurry to take the time to do a little work, kick back a few hours, and produce a real treat.

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Fuzzybear

Kirk:  I know what you mean man...after number 1, if my wife asks me to go mix some more, I tend to tip the bottle a little more heavy on round two into my glass!  It goes something like this: #1 - 1 jigger/ice/perrier lime water....#2 1 jigger and a loose pour/what ice I can get in the glass/and a little bit of perrier! #3 1 jigger and another loose pour....after that I can't function well[xx(] so I hang it up and hit the sack.  The stuff is addictive for sure!  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a rummy by any sense of the word, but I sure enjoy my Friday nights!

Trout:  I like your idea and will have to do that!  We've got 7 microwaves (400 person building) and the stuff they bring in stinks! TV Dinners/leftover rice bleah!  Now I gotta do another butt![;)]

Glendora, CA - USA!