• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Now My OBS is REALLY Cracking Up!

Started by ArnieM, November 03, 2009, 10:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

My faceplate (power indicator & temp control) was cracked by the left screw on top.  Brian got a new one sent to me.  Great service.  I went to replace it today.  I noticed cracks had also formed by the center and right screws, though not as big.  While working on it, I noticed the bottom of the door was cracked, a little to the left of center.  Yeah, I'll call Brian again.  But what is going on with this thing?

EDIT:  Whoops forgot the pic.

Also a request.  For any of you that have replaced the faceplate, how did you get the power indicator light out?  I figured it was a press-fit but doesn't seem to want to move.  >:(
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hopefull Romantic

I dont have the OBS but I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your troubles.

I am sure Brian would work somthing out.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

Arnie,
I have the BDS so I don't have the cracking faceplate issue but every one I have read about is always at the screws just like you described.  Seems logical to assume that when being assembled the screws are being tightened far in excess of specs and stressing the faceplate to the point of forming weaknesses that finally give way from the weight of the tower.  First time I opened my smoke generator to clean it I immediately saw this plastic box flopping around loose in there.  It is used to house and contain several of the connectors.  It is supposed to be attached to the bottom of the generator with screws coming through the bottom plate.  When they tightened the screws they tightened them so tight that they literally broke all 4 of the tabs completely off the box.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very very appreciative of the Bradley Company and all that they do for us but it's time for them to correct this construction issue.  It's costing the Bradley Company money to replace all of this stuff and besides it's simply shoddy workmanship.

Sorry Wade and Brian.  Don't get me wrong.  I love you guys but this is wrong.  Someone in your organization is letting you down when it comes to quality control.

KyNola

Wildcat

I may be wrong but if I recall correctly, these things are made overseas - China I think.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ArnieM

Quote from: Wildcat on November 03, 2009, 12:56:39 PM
I may be wrong but if I recall correctly, these things are made overseas - China I think.

Yes, they're made in China like most of everything else.  I spoke with Brian this afternoon.  I sent him pics.  He's going to get me a new door.  Would you believe they're out of doors?  2-3 weeks.  Believe me, the service is great.  They will take care of you.  However, the DIY repairs are getting a little annoying.  I'd figure the problems are getting a little annoying for Bradley too.
-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

Arnie, I don't have the OBS but most indicator lights like that have small snap tabs that lock it in place. I would take a small screwdriver and try depressing them one at a time while gently pushing the light forward.
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Thanks Hawkeye.  Brian mentioned possible tabs.  I didn't see any.  He also mentioned some silicone that might hold it in.  I didn't see any.  He also suggested using a hunk of wood to beat it out of there.  My screw driver handle didn't work; I'll go for the wood tomorrow.  Brian said he'll send me a new one if it breaks.  It was getting dark and I wanted to put it away in case of rain, so I'll try again tomorrow.
-- Arnie

Quarlow

Hey cousin. Sorry your having problems and I know that others have too, but I have the OBS and have not had any trouble with this. If there is something I can check out on mine that might help to solve the problem, just ask.

Colin.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Thanks for the support cousin Q.  I'm glad you haven't had any problems.  I'll beat the power indicator light out of there tomorrow so that I can reassemble the faceplate and continue smoking. 

What did you think of the stuff in the ICB?  I thought there was some fantastic food there!
-- Arnie

Quarlow

Hey it alllook so good. I was into doing something for it but the ingredients never spoke to me, Till I saw the one for the chicken salad with pear, but I would never step on the toes of someone who did all the brain work and came up with it. But that one really spoke to me so I think I will try to make that one day.
Tonight I got home to a bowl of thawed out seafood that the little woman ( affectionately known as "WOMBAT") had taken out of the freezer and said "this is cluttering up the freezer, do something with it". So I went to the pantry to get some chicken broth to make a soup out of it, but we had none. So I just started cutting stuff up, carrot, celery, garlic and  olive oil. I threw in some s&p and 8 cups of water, some parsely. Sauteed it for awhile. For fish I had some red and white salmon trims from my smoked salmon that I was going to make into indian candy(so much for that idea) some scallops and a nice filet of halibut I forgot was in there. So I boiled all the vegies for awhile, but it had no flavour. I started to look through the cupboards and found 2 packs of "Knorr vegetable soup mix" and pour those in. Tadda, flavour. Now I had something to work with. I put some lemon herb seasoning and some thai seasoning in it, know we had soup. High simmer till the vegies were almost tender, chucked in the fish and 2 cups of milk,10 mins later we had an awesome fish soup. I'll be taking some of the leftovers to work for lunch. But I just couldn't pull anything threw the old bean to come up something for the ICB. Owe well, next time.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Have to spice up the soup?  I saw the Cilantro bouillon cubes mentioned in a recipe a while back.  My daughter frequents a Spanish/Latino store and she got these for me.  They're really pretty good - just don't add salt!

-- Arnie

Habanero Smoker

Sorry Arnie, I didn't see the last sentence in your first post. When I received my face plate the indicator light was included, but I did cannibalized my old face plate and saved the indicator light. My OBS is over 5 years old so I don't know if they changed the parts. I just removed the two wires and and pushed the light out from the back towards the front, and it will pop out. There is not sealant or locking tabs, the tabs on the light do not lock, their purpose is to make a snug fit.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ArnieM on November 03, 2009, 10:33:18 PM
Have to spice up the soup?  I saw the Cilantro bouillon cubes mentioned in a recipe a while back.  My daughter frequents a Spanish/Latino store and she got these for me.  They're really pretty good - just don't add salt!

I have to get me some of those, nice.

deb415611

Quote from: ArnieM on November 03, 2009, 10:33:18 PM

those look interesting.  I'll have to go see if I can find some. 

classicrockgriller

deb, knorr makes about 5 or 6 of these in different flavors.