• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Chili Recipes

Started by begolf25, November 05, 2009, 06:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

begolf25

I have a bunch of frozen pulled pork. I was thinking about using it for making some chili. Anyone tried this before of have any recipes they would like to share?

Bryan

OU812

I have used the point from a brisket I did a wile back and it was GREAT!

Havent tried pork though, I would think it will be just as good.

FLBentRider

We tend to tweak the public Wick Fowler recipe:

*   2 lbs ground beef, ground for chili

* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    * 2 cups water
    * 2 teaspoons paprika
    * 4 teaspoons cumin
    * 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
    * 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    * 1/2 cup chili powder
    * 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
    * 2 tablespoons masa harina flour
    * 1/4 cup hot water

I double it, sub beer for the water, and for the four pounds of meat we usually use:
2lb of stew beef, cut into bite-size pieces
1lb ground beef
1lb ground pork

I'm sure you could sub the pulled pork in there somewhere.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

NO BEANS!

Don't offend the sensibilities of proper chiliheads the world over by using whistle pellets.  Why would someone want to water down, knock down the taste of a great and proper bowl of chili by including them things?  Beans (pintos) belong on one side of the plate - chili on the other side and betwixt never should they intermingle.   ;D ;D ;D  Also, 13 of the 20 winners at Terlingua have been of the female persuasion - so you might be at a disadvantage already!

Here is a simple fast and easy one that is really a Pulled Pork with Red Chile Sauce recipe that you cook the pork in the sauce.  But I've used it successfully with already cooked roast meat.  Have not used it with barbecued pulled pork yet.

4 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast,
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 cup chopped onions
4 cups water (I use beef broth)
2 (16 ounce) jars salsa
2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained

Place everything together into a pot that is big enough and let simmer for 30 minutes to an hour stirring occassionally.  It is done when the onions get done.  

Great Chili

For each 2 lbs. of meat  (I usually cube up chuck or round, flour and season it and brown in oil - but since you have pulled pork - skip that step)
1-  8 oz. can of  tomato sauce
1 - 15 oz. can of beef broth
and either another can of broth or a can of beer
2 large onions diced and already sweated.  
Optional a 4 oz can or two of canned green chilis - drained.
Sometimes I add chipotle powder or chipotles or jalapeno powder
Coffee will sometimes find its way into the mix also.  
Many serious chili cooks will also add a package of Sazon Goya - I don't usually (hard to find here)

Mix the following spices for dump 1:

* 1 Tbsp onion powder
   * 2 Tbsp granulated garlic
   * 2 tsp beef bullion
   * 1 tsp of chicken bullion
   * 1 Tbsp of  Paprika
   * 1 Tbsp of Good Chili Powder like Gebharts or Mexene
   * 1/2 tsp cayenne
   * 1/4 tsp black pepper

Mix the following spices for dump 2:

* 6 Tbsp of good chili powder like Gebharts or Mexene
   * 1 Tbsp ground cumin
   * 1/4 tsp pepper
   * 1 tsp onion powder
   * 1 tsp granulated garlic
   * 1/4 tsp cayenne

Instructions

Place the meat, tomato sauce and broth together into your chili pot - cook until meat is done - or heated through if meat is already cooked.  Add dump 1 and medium boil for 60 minutes.  Add dump 2 and medium boil for 30 minutes.  Adjust for pepperage as required.  Thicken with flour and water if wanted.  There are some (many) that don't do the 2 dumps - some do more than 2.  But there are some spices/herbs that don't take to heat well, and I want them to stand out more.  Ground Cumino is one.  And I also like the chili powder fresher rather than cooked for hours. 

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Caribou

I love this Penzey's recipe, I actually have it on the stove right now  :D
I like to use 2 pounds of diced chuck roast instead, cut into 1/2 little chunks.
But it's fine using the ground beef, too.

Chili
    * 2 lbs. ground beef
    * 3 TB. vegetable oil
    * 1 medium onion, chopped
    * 1 red bell pepper, chopped
    * 3 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 tsp. GARLIC GRANULES
    * 1/2 tsp. fresh ground BLACK PEPPER
    * 1 tsp. GROUND CUMIN
    * 1/2 tsp. ground CHIPOTLE PEPPER
    * 1/2 - 1 1/2 tsp. CRUSHED RED PEPPERS
    * 3 TB. CHILI POWDER
    * 3 Cups water
    * 1 26 oz. can tomato puree
    * 2 16 oz. cans no salt added chopped tomatoes
    * 2 16 oz. cans kidney beans, drained
    * 1-2 tsp. salt

Brown beef in two batches in a thick-bottomed soup kettle. Drain off fat and set browned beef aside. Heat 3 TB. oil in kettle over medium high heat, adding onions when hot. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Add red bell pepper and GARLIC, continuing to cook 2-3 more minutes. Add BLACK PEPPER, GROUND CUMIN, CHIPOTLE and HOT RED PEPPERS to taste plus CHILI POWDER, while continually stirring until spices begin to stick to bottom of kettle and brown (about 30-45 seconds). Quickly add 3 Cups of water. Add tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and the juice they were packed in. Add kidney beans and salt. Add the beef but try not to include any fat that may have accumulated. Stir. When chili begins to boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Ideally chili should be simmered 3 hours to let all the flavors blend together. Stir about every 15 minutes, while checking to make sure heat is not too high, causing chili to stick to the bottom of the kettle. If you don't have 3 hours, use less CHIPOTLE and CRUSHED RED PEPPERS or else they will overpower the other flavors.

Enjoy!
Carolyn

pensrock

Carolyn,
  Looks like they stole my recipe, LOL. Actually I never measure anything when making chili but that sounds very much like the ingredients I use when making it. I do add extra cayenne and chipotle pepper.  ;D

ArnieM

First, I'm with Caney on NO BEANS in the chili.  They're fine on the side.  I also agree that the spices such as chili powder and cumin go in toward the end.  This seems counter intuitive because one might want the flavors to mingle and cook in.  But as Caney said, some don't like heat all that much.  As I understand it, for real Texas Red you shouldn't be able to identify anything in there other than meat.

I don't have a recipe.  I've made it MANY times and it always comes out different.

In general, I finely chop some onion, garlic and bell pepper (and sometimes Cilantro if I have any) in a food processor.  I want something pretty close to a slurry here.  That gets sweated for at least 20 minutes in a little oil.  The amount depends on how much meat I'm working with.

I use chuck steak or roast, 2-4 pounds, cubed and browned up in batches.  Drain the grease.  Add the veggie stuff.  I usually use a low sodium beef broth, tomato sauce and water.  This simmers for about 4 hours or until the beef is close to falling apart.

I understand you can mix up the meat.  Certainly the pulled pork can be added.  I'm not sure how well it would work all on its own.  It might be kinda smokey but maybe that's not a bad thing.  Also, venison, lamb, armadillo, whatever.

Add the spices (chile powder, cumin, cayenne, chipotle powder, Hungarian sweet or smoked paprika, white pepper, black pepper, whatever else sounds good).  Go easy on the amounts.  Taste after 5-10 minutes.  Adjust the seasoning to your liking.  Remember, you can always add more but you can't get it out once added.  Continue to simmer for about another 30 minutes.

If at any time, it looks too dry, add a little boiling water.  If it's too wet toward the end, either turn up the heat and reduce the liquid, uncovered, or sprinkle in some masa harina and stir it in.

Also, make sure you get some corn bread into a cast iron pan and into the oven while all of this is going on.

That's as close as I can come to a recipe.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caribou

Quote from: pensrock on November 05, 2009, 11:08:23 AM
Carolyn,
  Looks like they stole my recipe, LOL. Actually I never measure anything when making chili but that sounds very much like the ingredients I use when making it. I do add extra cayenne and chipotle pepper.  ;D
Pens,
i would add more spice too if my hubby wasn't so down on hot food and well, my 7 year old daughter is a limiting factor too.  :D
Sorry about the beans Arnie  ;)
Carolyn

Pachanga

Carneyscud,

Well said.

I do not know about other parts of the world but a proper bowl of Texas Red is always lacking anything to do with legumes of any kind, color, variety or other persuasion. 

I am also a fan of large chunks of chuck instead of ground or chili meat.

My recipe calls for nine different chiles (it is still not close to screaming hot or even hot, just flavorful) but what I enjoy as much or more is Green Chile made with New Mexico Hatch Chiles.  I roast 150 pounds of those beautiful green fingers every year.

Good luck and may your chili blow out your pipes.

Pachanga

ArnieM

Carolyn, you can have it anyway you like it.  Chili is more about taste than heat; basically turning some tough meat into something that tastes good.  I don't like it so hot that you lose the flavor.

I have an old cookbook called Texas on the Halfshell, copyright 1982, ISBN 0-385-17904-9.  It has sections on Grilling, Chili, Tex-Mex and other stuff.  It has lots of recipes and is both informative and entertaining.  A quote from the Chili section opener:

Chili is a deceptively easy dish to make.  It lends itself to versatility since everything about it is optional.  Basically it is any type of meat in conjunction with chile peppers and spices.  That's it.  From there you can put tomatoes, beans, pineapple chunks, cigar ashes and/or nuts and bolts into it and still call it chili - although that's not what others may call it.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

pensrock

I've never had Texas Red before but always wanted to try it.
I prefer chunked up beef to ground meat in chili but any meat will do.
Here in the north you almost always find beans in chili, I actually like them but have never had chili without so cannot compare. Sometimes I'll put some corn off the cob in, the sweetness of the corn goes great with the spicy chili. Heck, I'll throw about anything into a pot of chili, I'm a mad man. LOL

westexasmoker

I'm with you Pens when it comes to chili, Katie bar the door!  If its in the cabinet or fridge it winds up going into the pot.  I think chili is one of those dishes you really can't screw up no matter what!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Tiny Tim

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 05, 2009, 08:08:32 AM

* 2 cups water
    * 2 teaspoons paprika
    * 4 teaspoons cumin
    * 1/2 cup chili powder
    * 1/4 cup hot water

I double it, sub beer for the water, and for the four pounds of meat we usually use:
1lb ground beef
1lb ground pork

I can't beleive it....a chili recipe that I only have to eliminate one ingredient.  That one's gettin' wrote down.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tiny Tim on November 05, 2009, 02:09:53 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on November 05, 2009, 08:08:32 AM

* 2 cups water
    * 2 teaspoons paprika
    * 4 teaspoons cumin
    * 1/2 cup chili powder
    * 1/4 cup hot water

1lb ground beef
1lb ground pork

I can't beleive it....a chili recipe that I only have to eliminate one ingredient.  That one's gettin' wrote down.

TT;

You have peaked my curiosity. What is that one ingredient?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tiny Tim

The onion flakes.  Can't stand onions in any way, shape, or form.