Ain't your Momma's meatloaf from S&S

Started by SmokinMoe, March 06, 2005, 04:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

My 2 cents? .......instead of dry bread crumbs, Use 3 or 4 slices of bread, torn in pieces, then soaked in 1/4 cup milk. After 5 minutes, drain, squeeze then mix in to the meatloaf mixture.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Wildcat

Thanks Rat.  I used fine grain and exact proportion as Smoke N Spice called for.  I am sure it is just me and my preference.  I will simply cut the crumb portion in half and give her a go.  I will also try other recipes.  I will eventually get it right for me, just like with your ribs.  I do like those!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Quote from: mws on May 20, 2007, 05:23:41 PM
My 2 cents? .......instead of dry bread crumbs, Use 3 or 4 slices of bread, torn in pieces, then soaked in 1/4 cup milk. After 5 minutes, drain, squeeze then mix in to the meatloaf mixture.

Hmm!  You may have something here as well.  I am also thinking of not putting any ground pork into it, but smoking some bacon, chopping into small bits and mixing into the meatloaf before smoking.  Might enhance the smoke flavor.

West Coast Kansan

mike, that is exactly the post :D Thanks, have it in the favorites now  ;D Take Care,

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

IKnowWood

anyone think about adding some burbon into the mix with the breading or just moisture to add flavor?  Just curious.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Gizmo

What not to do with meatloaf

I brought down 3 loaves to my mom a week ago.  2 were for here and one was for a neighbor and good friend of hers. She gave me a call tonight and said her friend said not to say anthing to me but thought the meat loaf was a little dry but very good flavor.  My mom asked her what she did.  She said she cooked it in the oven for 1 hour.  I had told my mom to put a little catsup or BBQ sauce over the top and warm it up it was already cooked.  She relayed the information but her friend didn't realize it was completely cooked.  My mom is heading to Florida tomorrow visting her grandson for a few weeks so she will fix up her friend with the other loaf when she gets back. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

smokin stu

I followed the recipe with the exception of using 1 cup of bread crumbs rather than the 1 1/2 cups.  The bacon on top floating on ketchup was a nice addition.

I put the whole mess in a meatloaf pan and let it sit for 1/2 an hour until the BS was ready, and then simply turned the pan over and out plopped the meatloaf in my hand.  I laid it on the jerky tray and it kept its shape.  I smoked it that way and it relaxed a bit so it looked like a real loaf.

It was fantastic.

I plan on doing it again and making sure I have gravy to pour over it and the mashed potatos.

Wildcat

Nice going!  I plan to cut the crumbs next time myself.

TxSmoker

I made one over memorial day weekend and I cut the bread crumbs to 1 cup. I too felt like 1 1/2 cups was too much. 1 cup was perfect! I also make mine with 1 lb of sausage instead of ground pork, and 1 lb hamburger. Lots of catsup on the top before it goes in the BS.Steve

aha638

Try Seasoned Croutons in place ot the bread crumbs - I use a 5.0 oz package (crushed) per recipe.

Al

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...

macattak

Guess what the wife asked me to make for dinner tonight?  She says since I'm off work, I might as well do something.  I use the basic recipe, but I put the meat in the small loaf pans, about 1 lb, then I do the grill finish to crust the end up a bit.  That way I can sort of tailor it for the kids tastes and go full strength for mine! ;D

bflosmoke

I love it when old threads like this come up they give me ideas,lots of ideas. I guess I know whats for dinner later in the week!

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...

classicrockgriller

I did this recipe yesterday and it is TOP NOTCH!